“Over hyped”

The Greyhound Inn at Stockbridge
Ranked #3 of 9 Stockbridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Now, I have been here a number of times and i must say you are never quite sure which Greyhound you are going to get. I have had lunches there which have been fine and suppers which have been poor. The latest was last week and it is very mediocre. The service was slightly uninformed as to what came with the meals ordered. Not the fault of the waitress as probably not told properly. However the food was "okay" and I am sure people go here thinking it is wonderful and in my experience of numerous meals here, it very seldom is.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Trout21

Reviewed 16 April 2014

It was a chilly evening and we had a table near a comforting radiator with cushioned armchairs and I felt immediately relaxed. Excellent lamb for both of us. It had a friendly, family atmosphere and although not inexpensive I has happy. There are lots of excellent pubs and inns in the area, but this is one I would go back to for a good dinner.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My wife and I went with friends for lunch. The menu looked really interesting, as was the wine list. We were not disappointed. The knowledgeable wine waitress knew her list backwards and was most helpful in making our choices. The food was utterly delicious. The four of us ranged across the menu eating several starters and then rib eye steak , lamb, skate and rabbit pie for main courses. Everyone was delighted with the quality of the cooking and the sticky toffee pudding with honeycomb and clotted cream was to die for. I would unhesitatingly return - and the sooner the better. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank michael a
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

For a very expensive meal (£250 for seven at lunch with only one bottle of wine included) the food was poorly cooked. Lamb was raw (not pink!) and inedible. Bream dry and swimming in oil/butter which was not appealing.

Roast rhubarb consisted of three small pieces of fruit with inedible honeycomb with ginger crumb which was so small it was invisible on one if the portions.

Service - what service? Very, very poor.

As a party of seven who have been coming to the restaurant for a few months now, we will not be returning.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JAYC074
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

A busy and very wet Sunday lunchtime at the end of January we visited The Greyhound in Stickbridge having grown tired of the usual other offerings. What a pleasant surprise!

A table d'hôte menu where one can select 2 or 3 courses at max £25 (English oysters are priced separately at £1.95 each) and a rather extensive wine list.

We booked late but we were accommodated at a table in the bay window of the bar where we were more than comfortable.

We chose a venison tartare and mackerel 2 ways to start with, followed by skate wing with caper butter twice (served with fluffy mashed potatoes and greens) and a modern take on rhubarb crumble to clean off the palate (the crumble was made of crunchy bar, hence my description as "modern").

The wine was crispy and refreshing as we went for a moderately priced bottle of Gewürztraminer fm the New Zealand Mission Estate, £22.95. Anyone into aromatic blends I would recommend this as I set myself on a mission to source it for my home via a UK online distributor or retailer.

We enjoyed The Greyhound, their friendly staff, the food and atmosphere. See you again soon!

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We'd been to the Greyhound in its previous life so thought with the changes we should make another visit. My friend and I could not agree on the decor as I quite liked it but he thought it was cold and unwelcoming. Neither of us liked the bar area which was dark but excellent for families with children who can roam around, although not sure it that was the point, although it was lunchtime. The food was okay, nothing mind blowing but I wasn't expecting it to be. My friend has fish and chips and it was just another fish and chips. Soup was nice, not too creamy as many pub soups tend to be, and the pasta was beautifully presented and tasty. However, the thing that really let the place down was the staff. Not that they were unfriendly or anything, the two girls were very pleasant but there was a lack of warmth in their welcome and you couldn't help but get the feeling that they didn't really want any customers there at all. That's the problem with pubs employing very young staff there's a distinct lack of leadership and welcome and banter. The owners should visit Heston Blumenthal's Hinds Head and the Crown in Bray and The Wellington Arms in Baughurst just to name a few to learn about service. There the staff are more mature and really make you feel welcome by interaction which, by no fault of theirs, is rare in very young staff, nice as they are. When you're in charge of a pub, restaurant or anywhere in hospitality you are on stage and you need to be a performer otherwise people won't come back for another performance. For this reason we would probably never go back to the Greyhound.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank foodmaiden
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Met friends for lunch, being a halfway spot. Nice setting and close to the river (Test) thus in a low lying area. A few shops to browse along a straight high street ..all very upmarket & tranquil though not what you would call quaint. Arrived early for our table to a warm welcome. Impression on entering is that it is solely a wine bar but there are in fact two bars /dining areas, one serving real ale on tap (the owners know how to keep beer and for me, as an ale-drinker, that earns a huge tick in the box!). Menu varied & unusual ..it's what you might describe as 'quasi-fine dining' ..slightly OTT for a pub lunch, more suited to special occasion, They do have a set lunch however and some other interesting options, ie.offerings on toast or with salad, so full marks to the chef for imagination and engaging the diner. Don't miss the bread & butter pudding - it's to die for! In summary, you will enjoy eating here if, cost-wise, it is a wee bit toppy. That said, the atmosphere is very relaxed and the service is top-notch! Fully recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends