“Consistently good”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stockbridge
The Greyhound Inn at Stockbridge
Ranked #3 of 9 Stockbridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The Greyhound is as good this year as we left it last year! Food and ambience are excellent.
There is work going on outside that will provide a really nice spot to eat on the banks of the Test. More rooms will come 'on stream' later on. A great place about to become better!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LondonUKjohnW

Reviewed 27 April 2014

My son and partner had stayed at the hotel the night before with their dog and booked a table for us to join them the next day for Sunday lunch. They chose this hotel specifically as it was referred to as dog friendly.

On arrival, we were told that the table reserved was in the restaurant where dogs were not allowed - despite my son and his partner making this reservation at the same time he booked the room - so it was clear a dog would be with us. They also explained this to the staff the night before on arrival.

The bar was the only place dogs were permitted but this had been fully booked. This would not be so bad had the staff not been completely unhelpful and dismissive about this and we then had to leave and find another place for Sunday lunch. Maybe this place is so popular that it does not think it needs to treat all visitors with courtesy - I would never come here again based on the treatment and behaviour of the staff. We have never felt so rudely treated in a restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
GHStockbridge, Owner at The Greyhound Inn at Stockbridge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

I would like to apologise for an experience with us that you were so unhappy with.

Our dog policy is, no dogs allowed in the restaurant but are allowed in all other areas of the pub including bedrooms. With this in mind and the number of bookings we had on Sunday lunch we made an exception and allowed yourself and your guest to take your dogs in the restaurant provided everyone else was happy. Allowing your dogs in the restaurant for lunch service was agreed at breakfast with two members of staff.

From what I understand another member of staff approached you at lunch time asking you to remove the dogs from the restaurant not knowing the conversation that had taken place in the morning.

I would like to apologise for the situation you found yourself in. I can only put this down to communication error which is totally our fault. As we do not normally have this situation with dogs it was completely overlooked at the pre-lunch service brief.

I do hope all other aspects of your stay with us was good and that we will be able to welcome you to the Greyhound again in the future.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Now, I have been here a number of times and i must say you are never quite sure which Greyhound you are going to get. I have had lunches there which have been fine and suppers which have been poor. The latest was last week and it is very mediocre. The service was slightly uninformed as to what came with the meals ordered. Not the fault of the waitress as probably not told properly. However the food was "okay" and I am sure people go here thinking it is wonderful and in my experience of numerous meals here, it very seldom is.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Trout21
Reviewed 16 April 2014

It was a chilly evening and we had a table near a comforting radiator with cushioned armchairs and I felt immediately relaxed. Excellent lamb for both of us. It had a friendly, family atmosphere and although not inexpensive I has happy. There are lots of excellent pubs and inns in the area, but this is one I would go back to for a good dinner.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My wife and I went with friends for lunch. The menu looked really interesting, as was the wine list. We were not disappointed. The knowledgeable wine waitress knew her list backwards and was most helpful in making our choices. The food was utterly delicious. The four of us ranged across the menu eating several starters and then rib eye steak , lamb, skate and rabbit pie for main courses. Everyone was delighted with the quality of the cooking and the sticky toffee pudding with honeycomb and clotted cream was to die for. I would unhesitatingly return - and the sooner the better. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank michael a
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

For a very expensive meal (£250 for seven at lunch with only one bottle of wine included) the food was poorly cooked. Lamb was raw (not pink!) and inedible. Bream dry and swimming in oil/butter which was not appealing.

Roast rhubarb consisted of three small pieces of fruit with inedible honeycomb with ginger crumb which was so small it was invisible on one if the portions.

Service - what service? Very, very poor.

As a party of seven who have been coming to the restaurant for a few months now, we will not be returning.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JAYC074
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

A busy and very wet Sunday lunchtime at the end of January we visited The Greyhound in Stickbridge having grown tired of the usual other offerings. What a pleasant surprise!

A table d'hôte menu where one can select 2 or 3 courses at max £25 (English oysters are priced separately at £1.95 each) and a rather extensive wine list.

We booked late but we were accommodated at a table in the bay window of the bar where we were more than comfortable.

We chose a venison tartare and mackerel 2 ways to start with, followed by skate wing with caper butter twice (served with fluffy mashed potatoes and greens) and a modern take on rhubarb crumble to clean off the palate (the crumble was made of crunchy bar, hence my description as "modern").

The wine was crispy and refreshing as we went for a moderately priced bottle of Gewürztraminer fm the New Zealand Mission Estate, £22.95. Anyone into aromatic blends I would recommend this as I set myself on a mission to source it for my home via a UK online distributor or retailer.

We enjoyed The Greyhound, their friendly staff, the food and atmosphere. See you again soon!

• Stayed: January 2014