“Pricey, but good Food and atmosphere”
Review of The Greyhound

The Greyhound
Ranked #3 of 25 Restaurants in Stockbridge
Price range: US$51 - US$206
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Hamble, United Kingdom
“Pricey, but good Food and atmosphere”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The Greyhound is basically one of the Village pubs of Stockbridge, but this being Stockbridge, the pub is very upmarket with a good food menu and prices to match.

The atmosphere is very nice, lots of locals, some tourists, plus trout fishermen who stay at the hotel in the pub, and pay the huge fees for fishing on the river for some of the best trout fishing in the world.

So upmarket, friendly, and lively in a refined sort of way.

The food is good, again it's a very upmarket version of pub food, good variety of both fish and meat, with plenty of local produce - Trout, watercress, etc. Steaks with tongue, pork starters including crispy pig's ear, delicious mixed fish starter, burgers, fish and chips, and lobster. Good wine list.

So the food was good, very well cooked and with a different twist to most of the dishes. But it was quite expensive when considering the size of some portions, the lobster at £36 for a decidedly small one for example, especially when you put it up against the other upmarket eateries in the area, such as the Clos Du Marquis a few miles up the road, and the Black Rat in Winchester (which has a Michelin Star).

The other problem they had was the service, which was great earlier in the evening, but fell apart when they got busy later in the evening, They need to divide up the tables between staff rather than seemingly chasing around all tables with all staff, leaving large gaps, epitomised by us asking for the bill twice over a period of 30 mins before giving up, and having to go up to the bar area to try to track down a member of staff.

So if they improve the size of some of the portions, or adjust the prices slightly, and sort out the front of house, it will be a great place to eat. As it is, I would recommend it, it was a good meal, but I'd choose carefully from the menu to get the best value, and don't expect a great service if it gets busy, but enjoy the upmarket gastro-pub atmosphere. Also has a very attractive garden area next to the river which would be very nice on a summer's day.

London, England, United Kingdom
“A busy place!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Lovely old fashioned pub, lots of seating for eating,but the bar area is tiny ..2 areas to eat in the main being the converted barn and the other was in the bar area.extremely busy, so book well in advance. The menu is good and service is good and very friendly.

Surrey
“Great local food in a lovely old pub”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We had a lovely dinner at The Greyhound. The menu isn't huge, but it was still hard to choose between the various tempting options. There wasn't a children's menu on offer (bonus points for that!), but many of the main courses were fairly sophisticated so didn't appeal to our 11 and 13 year olds, so check out the menu before taking a young family. Smoked test trout was delicious, as was bufallo carpaccio. Service was welcoming and friendly and the surroundings delightful.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Wow! A STUNNING new menu”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The new menu will appeal to all. A wide range of dishes from snacks to a la carte fine dining. The food is spectacular in every respect. Fabulous combinations and flavours. Always an exceptionally warm welcome and superb service. A very interesting and reasonably priced wine list with a good selection of wines by the glass. When possible flexible with changes. As vegetable lovers - all cooked a point. Lunch today was perfection - so much so that we are re-visiting on Monday! Tip - If the restaurant is full try for a table in the bar. The recently completed garden area is another wow - can't wait for those balmy summer evenings eating in the fresh air. The atmosphere is always warm and welcoming with the 'buzz' of people enjoying the food, ambiance and the company of their friends

3 Thank David S
South Barrow, United Kingdom
“the greyhound stockbridge”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I am reading the reviews of this place & I had to check the post code to see if I was comaring the same place. My experience was the complete opisite,my wife & I went in there because the last time we were in Stockbridge the place was closed for refirb so I thought we would check it out, in we went there were two young ladies behind the bar my wife went & sat at a table i stood at the to order some drinks after a shortish time one of the girls came over to take my order i ordered 2 glases of wine 1 white & a large red to be told they dont do large glasses but the could put 2 175 in one glass so were talking 100 ml difference then she went around the corner when she came back she said she was going to do something else & her collegue will serve me so the other girl came back with the wine & said that will be £18.80 please which i thought rather a lot but such as life, went & sat down, my wife said how much was that? I told her I won't print her reply, then she said well they could at least wipe the table down from the previouse people, when we left I said to the witress that the table hadn't been wiped down & she replied we have been very buisy, at that time there were 4 other people in the place, we left there & crossed the road to the three cups & wished we had gon there first. it will take a long time for me to go in there again!

• Visited April 2014
5 Thank BryanMinto
GHStockbridge, Manager at The Greyhound, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Good afternoon,

I am sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your experience at The Greyhound. We only serve wine at 175ml as our largest size but, if you require a larger glass then we will serve them. As it was the end of a busy service, the staff hadn't managed to clean all of the tables so I apologise for you having to sit at a dirty one; we pride ourselves on our cleanliness. We would prefer however, for customers to let us know that they are unhappy so our staff have a chance to rectify any issues you may have at the time.

Sorry again you had a bad experience and we would like to welcome you back to The Greyhound in the future.