“We shall return endlessly.....”
Review of Solent Hotel & Spa

Solent Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whiteley
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This must be our 10th trip to the Solent Hotel & Spa at least ... in days gone by I didn't know about trip advisor!

Excellent staff and a great ambience make this one of our favourite hotels in the UK. Our children have become familiar with the hotel over many years during Easter and half term breaks and so they too feel relaxed inside its welcoming but cosy Reception and sophisticated Restaurant.

Spa lovely and bedrooms very clean. Brilliant choice at breakfast and hotel caters wonderfully for both gluten free and vegetarian. Dinner is a breath-taking feast of alternatives and superbly cooked options.

You need a day at least to go to the Gunwharf Quay - enjoy!

We'll be back soon. x

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank instantaneous
ShireHotels, Dominic Osborne - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Thank you for such a positive review. It is so pleasing to hear feedback from guests who return time after time and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

My husband booked me in for a treat on my own after having had a baby for a 24 hour stay. It was absolutely wonderful and I was really surprised at all the little touches that they had, which offered a first class experience. The room was large and elegantly furnished with separate sofa / living area and large desk with free wifi. Very efficient shower too. The bed also had proper pillows and duvet which was a huge relief as many hotels still peddle the ubiquitous blankets... Free water and milk in the fridge in the room on arrival and tea and coffee making facilities with decent biscuits. A big fluffy robe and slippers were laid out on the bed. The Spa was where I spent the afternoon and it was glorious. Quiet and beautifully appointed I whiled away the hours on a hot water bed-topped couch having a variety of treatments by candlelight. The staff were very friendly and professional and catered to everything you might need. Lockers, fresh towels, teas and juice and a beautiful quiet lounge to sit in after with a selection of magazines. Nice modern usual hotel size gym and a lovely pool with sauna /steam / jacuzzi. Lots of children around as I think the spa offers membership to locals. It would have been ideal to have had an adult only session for part of the afternoon but as it wasn't that busy when I was there I did not find it an issue.

Dinner in the restaurant which my husband joined me for was delicious. A fantastic menu and good wine selection. Prices as you would expect for this standard of hotel. There was a slight problem with the ticketing service which delayed our food but the restaurant manager was excellent; informed us of the issue and offered us our wine for free so we were impressed with the level of customer service. Breakfast in the morning was fantastic. I sat by the open fire and had an enormous breakfast, including a large coffee house standard latte - everything you could imagine was on the menu. The final thing that impressed me was the catering they offered for gluten free people! They had indicators on the menu for what you could and couldn't eat and also offered bread at dinner and breakfast muffins that were gluten free. I always travel with my own but here I did not need to. I was really impressed by the standard of the hotel and the friendliness and professionalism of the staff - even when there was a problem they sorted it immediately and with genuine apology. Having filled in the comments card in my room thanking the hotel for making my stay such a pleasant one, I received a letter from the Managing Director of the hotel group thanking me for my comments which I thought was a nice gesture and just the sort of extra mile touch that this hotel offers. Definitely worth a stay - especially ladies if you fancy a spa day as they do some great offers and the treatments are superb. I really hope I will be able to go back soon!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Stefanie K
ShireHotels, Dominic Osborne - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Your comments are very much appreciated and I am glad that you enjoyed the little touches that we offer as a group. Rest assured we will work on some of the finer points that you mention. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

I've just had the pleasure of staying in this hotel for a two-night leisure stay. From check-in onwards, everything was excellent......the pool and spa, the food and service in the restaurant (we had one evening meal, which was of the highest quality, and breakfast on two mornings, again, excellent).
The hotel is just off the M27, but noise was not an issue, and is superbly positioned for easy access to Southampton and Portsmouth, as well as the New Forest.
I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Book the evening meal in advance, with the discounted rate (which we did)
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review. I was naturally delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed 2 nights and on the plus side: all staff very welcoming, complimentary fresh milk and water in fridge on arrival, free wifi. Room large and very clean and comfortable with bath robes. Did not have slippers. Spa - we were told children could only use the spa between 10-11 in the morning - but children were in the spa all the time until meal times - so we found the best time to use was after 5pm when most had got out! Whirlpool jacuzzi on a 5 minute timer. Steam room very nice - though not aromatherapy and sauna good size. Gym was modern, had plenty of exercise equipment and when we used it, did not have to wait to use any of the fitness machines. Changing room as you would expect in a spa with proper hairdryers, complimentary toiletries and good sized locker.
Restaurant - menu looked delightful - a bit pricey, but the cost of a bottle of wine at minimum £23.50 was a not really worth it so first night ate in the Parsons Pub next door. This pub was obviously used by locals too - a bit noisy, quite loud juke box, but food good and all reasonably priced- bottle of Merlot £14!
Breakfast buffet was excellent - very nicely cooked of fried egg on a hot toasted muffin, bacon, sausages, hash browns, mushrooms, beans, grilled tomatoes, peeled tomatoes and black pudding plus a selection of cereals, fruit including bowls of melon balls, fruit salad, yoghurts and small sticky pastries.
All staff are very polite and helpful.
There was a wedding on both nights we were there - so quite noisy in the bar with quite a few well-oiled reception guests (even stapling each others hair!).
On the second night we went to a Harvester just straight down the road towards Fareham. Food was excellent - really nicely cooked and it was packed out so good job we booked earlier in the day.

The only negatives I would say is that this is a spa and the children should not have been allowed (including babies) to be in the pool all the time. They should have had a limited time so that adults could have a leisurely swim - as they were in and out of the jacuzzi, steam room, sauna, not always closing door etc. We did find that we had to wait till the end of the day to use on both days when they were out obviously to get ready for dinner, etc. Spoilt our visit slightly and if we were staying any longer than a couple of nights might have had a word about this as well as them being allowed to run noisely in the corridors.

Overall we had a very pleasant stay and will probably visit again in the future.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
ShireHotels, Dominic Osborne - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Thank you for posting a review following your Easter break. I was pleased to read that in the main you enjoyed your stay with us and I acknowledge your constructive feedback regarding our younger guests. Rest assured we will be considering your observations when planning for Easter 2013.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

My best friend and I came for a spa day here a couple of weeks ago and we both really needed a relaxing break....this is exactly what we found here.
As part of our package we had full use of the spa facilities including: swimming pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. We were also given lockers, slippers, towels and robes. All facilities lovely the only thing I would suggest is if you're looking for peace I would go on a week day to guarantee no children.

We had a two course light lunch, so we were expecting sandwiches but truly got value for money with the portions of yummy food! I had Mediterranean vegetables with pasta and a chocolate tart with peanut butter ice cream and my friend had a chicken pasta dish with creme brûlée pudding! We also had free juices, water and hot drinks all day!

And the last thing we had as part of our spa day was a half hour treatment and we both chose a neck/back/shoulder massage, well we couldve stayed there all day! Cara did a lovely job and was attentive to each individuals needs.

All staff welcoming helpful and friendly!

Would recommend to all!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank aalyiah
ShireHotels, Dominic Osborne - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Thank you for your recent review! I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your Spa Day – we really do try and provide a little sanctuary so that our guests can unwind and enjoy a little pampering. I hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed 11 March 2012

Stayed here with friend on a Girls Night In Package absolutely fantastic and can highly recommend. On arrival the staff were very pleasant, helpful and friendly the hotel has a nice calm atmosphere and ambience to it although it clearly deals with all sorts of clients, business, families , couples, conferences etc.it manages to present a professional and efficient service given that its wearing many hats! Room was lovely, the girls night in touches were enough to make us feel special my friend at I particularly enjoyed the ice cream and pop corn. One thing my friend particularly enjoyed was real milk in a carton in the fridge no UHT to go in her tea in the morning! We indulged in some treatments in the spa which were divine perfect for the kind of time we were wanting the spa, pool and leisure area is well presented and the staff were efficient but discreet. My friend and I would certainly return here ( sooner rather than later I hope).

One thing to add the hotel would be a great location for those wanting to see some of the South Coast because of its links to the motorway.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank merrymaxted
ShireHotels, Dominic Osborne - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

Thank you for your recent review – I was really glad that you had a relaxing weekend and felt fully pampered! We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

I stayed with 5 of my old school friends on a "girls night in" package which was very reasonably priced. It offered use of the spa and gym facilities a "tapas" style sharing plate in the room and some little extras. The rooms were clean and nicely decorated with good in-room facilities (although the kettle cord could do with being a little longer) The pool, spa and gym facilities were very good. One of my friend's had a treatment which was very reasonably priced. The food was very nice but it was not tapas or even tapas style - more a vast plate of canapes, consisting of spring rolls, fish goujons, quiches cheese in filo pastry, dough balls, kebabs and various other items. Nevertheless, plentiful and all very nice. The breakfast the next morning was decent and I liked the fact that on a Sunday they served up to 11am. It meant we got a lie in, a trip to the gym, time for a shower and a late breakfast. The staff were friendly. They had had a flood so some of the hotel was in a bit of bad shape but it really didn't affect our stay at all.

The only really negative point, which we were all really quite annoyed by was that we had booked out of season when it was quiet. The hotel receptionist had told us when we arrived that they weren't busy. We were a party of six who had booked the "girls night in package" and had booked 3 rooms. Two of the rooms were next to each other and the other was opposite. We are all very early 40s and had gone to relax chill and catch up. We were not there to party and be loud. We spent the evening in one of the rooms as was expected and for the most part we spend the evening having literally a couple of glasses of wine and just chatting. We weren't being particularly quiet but we certainly weren't being overly or obnoxiously loud. We were therefore rather shocked when we got a knock at the door a little past 11pm on a Saturday night to say that there had been a couple of complaints about the noise we were making. My first point - it was 11 pm on a Saturday night - not two in the morning. We were not shouting, we were not drunk and we were not leaping and frolicking round the room - we were sitting down chatting. Secondly, which Einstein in the booking department booked what I can only assume was an older person or actually any person when there is a half empty hotel next to a girls night in party?! And even if they couldn't avoid that - why not then book us three rooms in a row and request that we have our "party" in the middle room.

So I would definitely recommend the hotel but with a couple of caveats. If you want a quiet night - check you are not next to a block booking and if you want a "girls night" in package - you need to make sure you specifically request rooms in a row and go in one of the middle ones.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank ObjectivelyHonest
ShireHotels, Dominic Osbourne - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review following your recent stay. Needless to say I was pleased to note that in the main you enjoyed your stay. I acknowledge your comments regarding the issues concerning the noise and would like to offer my apologies for any inconvenience caused. I have passed your feedback to the relevant departments to ensure that we allocate our rooms more appropriately on future occasions.

Dominic Osbourne - General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whiteley
Holiday Inn Fareham Solent
#1 of 1 in Shirrell Heath
The Winchester Hotel & spa
The Winchester Hotel & spa
#7 of 13 in Winchester

Been to Solent Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!