“Thoroughly Enjoyable” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whiteley
Trinity County
“Thoroughly Enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

I was looking for a country setting in the middle of a largely urban trip and this place fit the need perfectly. Being in between two coppices, the area is naturally quiet. This of course leads to many song birds greeting the mornings, another plus.

The staff were professional and courteous in every encounter. The few requests I made were handled immediately.

I was very pleased with my room. Spacious, clean, housekeepers discrete & accommodating. I really enjoyed the furniture, which provided a good site for reading & writing, which generally occupied my mornings. The shower, as other reviewers have noted, was outstanding. It was a real standout in a 6 week trip.

The only drawback was my location above the directed exercise room. It seemed classes began earlier and got louder each day of my residence. Avoid it unless you miss your Drill Sergeant.

The restaurant is about average for an establishment of this quality. The wine list could use some upgrades, but the beer list is fine.

If you are staying for more than a few days, and want to branch out from the in-house eatery, there is now a shopping center opposite side of Round Coppice, go round Round Coppice, but only halfway in either direction, and you will find a mass of restaurants, cafes and other shopping conveniences.

It was a good hotel experience and makes me curious to try the other Shire Hotel locations on future trips.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Steve R
ShireHotels, Dominic Osborne - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent stay. I was delighted to read that further to your positive stay, you will try and experience our sister hotels which I have no doubt will also be a positive experience.

Dominic Osborne - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Turkish first
New Forest, Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

Held my grandmothers 90th birthday here. From start to finish the whole experience was extremely pleasant with professional standards right from day 1. I was impressed with the organisation of the lunch and all of the special touches that were suggested and included along the way. The food was lovely, everyone was very happy with the meal (party of 30 plus!). Will definitely be holding more family occasions at the hotel as they were all very welcoming and I have had nothing but glowing reports from the whole family.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank MrsBungle11
ShireHotels, Dominic Osborne - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
I was delighted to read that your family celebration was so enjoyable and I look forward to you hosting your next celebration at the Solent Hotel and Spa.

Gloucester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

A few reviews have been a bit negative about this hotel. I couldnt fault it. I admit the client I was working with paid for the room, so I have no idea how much it cost, but everything about the hotel was excellent. The room was large and well decorated, bed comfy and robes and towels all nice and fluffy. Tv excellent and DVD player a real bonus. The Spa was fantastic, gym the best hotel gym I have been in and the pool lovely. The bar and food were also really high standards. The staff throughout were helpful and friendly. No complaints at all.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ShinyGGloucester
Thank you for your review and your comments which are very much appreciated. I hope to welcome you back next time you are in the area on business.

Paderborn, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

I had my wedding with this hotel in march this year. The service was great when i went to look at the hotel was given plenty of information, looked like i was getting a great wedding package for my money was really happy. Went to view the hotel one evening when it was set up like it would be for a wedding lots of couples went and was so wowed i couldnt wait to have my day there, my partner is in the armed forces and was away at the time so i had to do this with my mum. I loved the hotel and paid for the wedding in full. Then it went down hill.... The wedding co ordinator was never in she was always on leave, baring in mind that my husband and i only had 3 months to plan our wedding i was hoping to be getting most things done within the first month oh no!!! I was told as part of my package that the hotel pay for a pedestal and top table centrepiece great so i went to see the designer oh no i dont i get a little pedestal!! spoke to the hotel thats correct however they honoured the top table piece. I was told dogs were allowed to stay in the room so my auntie and her in laws rang up to book rooms and were told they couldnt bring the dogs so they didnt stay at the hotel because of the mess up. I then went to my menu tasting which was nice the staff were great but i too was asked if i wanted water from the tap.... but all good we got the food we wanted with the little changes we wanted. there then was a mess up i was told i could have 80 guests and them myself and the groom nope i could have 78 guests as me and the groom were included in the guests! I then had to ring up and change my wedding plan 3 times!!!! the last time was when i received it 3 days before my wedding and only half my guests were being fed and the number of kids was totally wrong!!! I was then told the day before my wedding that i get 3 complimentary rooms so i went and spoke to guests arranged this rang up to book them and nope i wasnt entitled to them. The day before my wedding i am being messed around!!!! so panicking like anyone would the day befoe my wedding i am stressing and crying now the day before my wedding shouldnt be like this because of the venue. The lack of communication was just terrible. On the day of my wedding the day was amazing and everything went smooth apart formt he fact there was no drinks price board behind the bar and after the meal for the reception the prices doubled!!! i complained about this on the night but nothing was done. I was also given a voucher for a complimentary night on our 1 year anniversary. Since the wedding i have complained and was informed that i am not entitled to this 1 year anniversary and that also i wasnt entitled to the evening finger buffet i was given and that was honoured!!! i have my paperwork here that the hotel offers to everyone and its on their website that i was enititled to a evening finger buffet for 100 people. The hotel wont accept any responsibility for any of these issues and offered me a complimentary stay at the hotel!!! Dont think so like i want to go back there. So i refused this and they offered me £150 refund so erm no i wont accept this either i want a bigger refund and now i dont seem the being a response. Terrible service prior my wedding and i sont recommend them to anyone!!!! the staff were friendly but clearly didnt no what they were doing!!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Toni D
ShireHotels, Dominic Osborne - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
I'm sorry that having being in touch with you on several occasions you still feel that we didn't deliver to your expectation on the occasion of your civil wedding ceremony and wedding breakfast reception, and that you feel the need to report your sentiments via social media, presumably wishing to damage our reputation. Whilst certainly not complacent, we are proud to host many weddings each year and are overwhelmed with letters of compliment and thanks.

We really do understand how special each wedding day is for our Bride and Groom. I do acknowledge that there were some instances during the planning where the elements of the package were incorrectly explained and you were promised items that were not included in your initial package. I sincerely regret that this occurred, and once we were made aware of this, these elements were honoured at no additional cost to you.

It's disappointing to read such negative comments about the hotel and the team in terms of the advance planning, but I was pleased to read that you felt your wedding day was amazing.

Portsmouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

Stayed here with 5 other friends for my 40th on the girls night in package for £90 each, what an amazing experience, great food, all the girls loved their rooms and we loved the ice cream strawberries and popcorn, I booked a suite room as so many of us and I'd recommend that, it was £35 extra but meant we could all sit comfortably. Spa treatments were fab too, staff very friendly and the rooms were great, lovely decor, we're already planning the next trip!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ShireHotels, Dominic Osborne - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Thank you for your review. I was delighted that you had such an enjoyable celebratory weekend and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

We stayed here as part of a Pepp pig package and had such a lovely stay.
My two children aged 2 and 4 had a wonderful time in the swimming pool! The room was great just what we needed and had cookies, chocolate and drinks for the children when we arrived. I was very impressed. We will definitely return next year!
Staff were always polite and helpful especially in the spa!

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ShireHotels, Dominic Osborne - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Thank you for your review. I was delighted to read that your family had an enjoyable stay and I hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Peppa Pig World.

Durham, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights recently following a cruise into Southampton and I don't think the website does it justice. The hotel is located in a lovely peaceful setting and with a very handy pub within the hotel grounds which was very charming, had Sky Sports and served good beer and food.

Immediately upon entry to the hotel reception I was struck by the lovely decor and olde worlde charm, despite this being a newer, modern hotel it is built in rustic style with lots of staircases and nooks and crannies. Our room was very spacious, light and airy with a big window and had all mod cons. It was immaculately clean, the bathroom was excellent and I was impressed by the tea/coffee facilities and the free milk and water in the fridge. There were bathrobes too which came in useful for a visit to the spa. I used the pool and hot tub both days and there was free fruit and newspapers on offer.

We ate in the hotel bar one evening and the food was delicious (try the Brie sandwiches!) and the service was faultless. In fact every single member of staff throughout the hotel went out of their way to be helpful and friendly. I genuinely cannot fault one thing about this hotel and would highly recommend it to anyone. We will be back!

Room Tip: It's quite a big hotel so anyone not wishing to walk too far should ask for a room near lifts an...