“Unhelpful, dismissive reception”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whiteley
Petersfield, United Kingdom
“Unhelpful, dismissive reception”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I visited the Solent Hotel recently to see if they could arrange a small private post-funeral reception in one of their function rooms. The girl at the front desk could provide no help or information and told me that the member of staff responsible for this was not available until the following Monday. Once of her colleagues did try to interupt and seemed more keen to help, but the first girl stuck to her guns and did her best to persuade me (a potential customer) to go elsewhere. At the very least they could have shown me round some example function rooms and given me a copy of buffet menus etc, but this was not to be.

The whole place just seemed very "corporate" and impersonal with staff who are seemingly unable to use much initiative. Astonishingly, this hotel brags on its website that "you will not find a warmer reception anywhere on the South Coast". Based on my personal experience, I beg to differ.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
ShireHotels, Stephen Woodrow - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent visit to the Solent Hotel. I am sorry to learn about your experience and I have spoken to all of my Reception team to discuss your review.

We have an extremely dedicated events team here at the Hotel and I am sorry to read your request for a show round was poorly managed on this occasion. I do hope and despite this experience you will consider using the Hotel in the near future.

Stephen Woodrow - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Turkish first
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed over following the wedding of friends at this hotel. We were impressed - delightful staff, very attentive, lovely spacious room with sitting area... great in room tea and coffee with fresh milk (a big plus), a good breakfast with butter that was served in little pats (not silly individually wrapped portions) .... but sadly no smoked salmon to go with the perfectly cooked poached eggs. Now I am not sure what would otherwise take you to Whitley, although it is in travelling distance of interesting places along the central south coast, and not too far from our beloved Isle of Wight, which was being battered by St Jude's storm as we slept peacefully in this outstanding hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased to read you recognise those ‘small details’ we offer, such as fresh milk and bottled water that we present in all of our guest bedrooms.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Solent Hotel in the future, where I hope you will have the opportunity to visit more of the local area and attractions.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel the weekend of 18th October for 2 nights as we where visiting friends.The hotel itself is lovely the staff are very friendly and the spa is lovely although we didn't get to use it.
The food for us was nice but a little overpriced and again for us a tad salty.
The breakfast was nice but lukewarm so the heating over the food could have been a bit higher.
They have a pub on site as well which was very nice and again the staff where great.

Overall a great hotel but I must stress we did get a discount on our room so not to sure as to the proper room rates.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind comments following your recent stay at the Hotel, and I have passed this on to all the team. I am pleased to read that you were able to visit our onsite pub – the Parson’s Collar, which has recently undergone refurbishment and a review of our food and drink offerings.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Good location and a lovely spa made for a very pleasant stay at this hotel. The food was excellent and we had a 'Junior Suite' which was more than adequate and included a fridge with fresh milk which was much appreciated. My only criticism was the high cost of breakfast. Service was consistently good including reception where a problem I was having with Wi-fi was sorted very efficiently. Swimming pool and jacuzzi are well designed and bath robes provided. Highly recommended.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
ShireHotels, Stephen Woodrow - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent your stay with us. At Shire Hotels we pride ourselves on the ‘small details’ that we put into all of our guest bedrooms such as fresh milk & bottled water in the fridge.

It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed all of our facilities and your kind comments have been passed onto all staff within the Hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to Shire Hotels in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

I stayed at Solent Hotel & Spa with my sister in August for a spa break weekend and I would recommend this hotel for a relaxing break. The hotel and staff were very welcoming and we were shown into the spa facilities upon arrival where we spent the fist hour being pampered and received very welcome massages. We then went and had a delicious and reasonably priced lunch after which we used the pool and Jacuzzi for the afternoon. In the evening we ate a lovely meal and then took a couple of DVD's from reception to watch in our room.
The room was modern and comfortable. If I had to rate the staff I would give them all 100% for friendliness and excellent service. The hotel also gets 100%!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
ShireHotels, Stephen Woodrow - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you very much for your kind comments following your spa weekend break. It is always pleasing to read that you enjoyed your spa treatments, and I have passed your praise onto the spa treatments team. I look forward to welcoming back to the Solent Hotel & Spa in the near future.

Kind regards,
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Visted with 5 friends on the girls night in package last Friday. We come every year and this is probably our 5th visit. We have always found the hotel clean and good value, the modern outside is deceptive and the inside decor secumbs you to thinking you could be in any comfortable country hotel. We opted for the higher cost package this year £115per person for room, use of spa, £30 voucher for products, meal up to £35 in restaurant plus jug of cocktails and half a bottle of wine each. Meal in restaurant was really delicious- better than previous and wide menu. Restaurant manager could not have been more helpful. Meal and drink allocations were generous and we would opt for this package again. We usually visit on site pub as restaurant atmosphere sometimes been lacking but not so this time. Not enough sunbeds round the pool but find this the case at most hotels. Always sleep well here- brilliant black out curtains and top floor seems quiet. We had booked outside hot tub but hotel rang on the day to say readings not ok and we cant use, obviously disappointed. Other disappointment on our trip was that the bill the next morning took some sorting out until they managed to allocate the restaurant bill between rooms and also my friend had £500 taken off her credit card- a mistake from a new member of staff apparently. All in all, worth a visit, we've always found the staff helpful and i would have previously given the hotel5 stars, but the hot tub and the bill issues this time took more sorting than they needed to . Hope it's a one off as we do enjoy our visits -previously by coincidence we have met various football teams staying here when playing Portsmouth the next day, including Chelsea, but now Portsmouth so far down the divisions chances of premier football club unlikely!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback following your recent ‘girl’s night in’ stay with us. I have passed on your kind comments to our restaurant team regarding your meal experience, and it is always pleasing to read you enjoyed the menu we served you.

I apologise for the inconvenience with the hot tub not been available, and also for the billing queries you experienced, and I have discussed this with the Spa & Reception teams. I will look forward to welcoming you back to the Solent Hotel & Spa in the future.

Kind regards,
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We booked this hotel as part of a weekend break at Peppa Pig World. The hotel was perfect for us, we have a 3 year old & 18 month old and they were set up with a z-bed & cot as well as their own bathrobes and a welcome drink & chocolates on arrival. We had to request the kids robes and the staff brought extra sweets for them as an apology. The service was brilliant - very friendly throughout the hotel & spa as well as at the pub in the grounds The Parsons Collar which served great food & was very child friendly. I'd definitely recommend this hotel, especially as part of the PPW package, it was excellent value & the little extras like a fridge in your room and fresh milk delivered to you each morning was great. The breakfast was lovely there was a great selection for us all each morning. I also thought that being able to order drinks from the bar to your room with no tray charge was great - especially for parents with tired children & they don't charge tray service for food to your room which is over the price of £10 - unheard of in other hotels I've stayed in. All in all the Solent Hotel & Spa really made our weekend.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
ShireHotels, Stephen Woodrow - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review following your recent stay with us and visit to Peppa Pig world. I am delighted to read that our ‘small details’ that we strive to achieve made your stay with your family feel ‘extra special’. We have recently revised our food, drinks and facility offerings at the Parsons Collar, so I am especially pleased you enjoyed this. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Solent Hotel & Spa in the near future.

Steve Woodrow - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whiteley
Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
#19 of 24 in Southampton
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,653 reviews

Been to Solent Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!