“Great place to stay.”
Review of Solent Hotel & Spa

Solent Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whiteley
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We booked this as part of the Peppa Pig package. I wasn't expecting it to be so lovely. Staff were great, lovely touches in the room for the kids - cookies, choc and milk. Fab to be able to use the spa and pool too. Very good breakfast, and having the pub (The Parson's Nose) on site was terrific as we could take the family there for dinner. Each room had bathrobes (although they ran out of the kids' ones and my friends didn't have any - but that's a very minor thing), and the quality of the rooms was very high. Can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
ShireHotels, Stephen Woodrow - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Thank you for your review following your stay with us whilst visiting Peppa Pig World. Here at Shire Hotels we strive ourselves on delivering those ‘small details’ for our guests during their stay, and fresh milk and cookies I am pleased you appreciated this.

I have passed on your kind comments to the team here at the Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Needed to attend to a number of business matters in Fareham and stayed here now three times. This trip I had a bit more time and glad I did. The food was superb, the service was great and the accommodations were terrific. Each and every staff member I met was on the spot, always with a smile and glad to help how every they could.

If you are in the area. Stay here. I know I will.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your recent review. I am delighted to read your kind and praising comments and I will make that all staff are aware.
I do hope when you return again, you will have the opportunity to sample the fantastic ESPA treatment range we offer within our Spa.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed on a package with entry to Poultons Park & Peppa Pig World. I requested a room move after finding a huge urine stain on the mattress, no quibbles came and helped me move rooms as husband had popped out to find a bottle of wine.
We had a family room and the bunk beds were extremely squeaky. So much so that we were kept awake all night. The milk and cookies for the children was a nice touch, but the broken fridge door wasnt. Plenty of tea & coffee & biscuits.
Resturant is expensive and portions are small but food is nice.
Pool is nice size and added bonus of steam jacuzzi and sauna.

Room Tip: check the bunks for excessive squeakyness before accepting your room
1  Thank fiona d
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Very good customer service. Helpful.
We stayed ( with our 2 children aged 10,8 ) for long weekend. We booked the family room with bunk beds. This is/are clearly double rooms with the bunk beds added on as an after thought. So the room is tight/small - just enough to swing a cat. So you would not want to do anything more than to sleep/bath int there.
The restaurant and Spa are very good. The pool especially as the kids are allowed all day ( apart form 1hr each side of the opening/closing ).
Breakfast can take long and is some what limited. So if your not into English Breakfast there is limited choice. We only had it once. Try Halladay's Tea Room - excellent.
Its quite a drive into Southampton, so if you prefer not to drive for around 20mins each way look fro something closer.
Overall, I would say a short stay here would be acceptable.
Would I stay here again - probably not. So many other options and does not score high enough to recommend a return stay.

Room Tip: Room 307 over looks roof - avoid it is possible
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent review, and I am pleased to learn you found our guest care very good and enjoyed our Spa facilities and restaurant experience also.

I am disappointed you sign off by saying you would not return, despite a positive review. I do hope you will reconsider this and we can welcome you and your family back again to the Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We recently attended a family wedding here and although we did not stay at this hotel we were very impressed with the décor of the whole hotel. The wedding was held in the Osborne Suite and was really lovely. The entrance hall and stairs up to the beautiful glass-walled balcony are very welcoming and the beautiful, huge chandelier is extremely impressive. The food at the wedding breakfast too was very good.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent comments after you attended a wedding at the Hotel recently. I am pleased you had an enjoyable day and the Hotel surpassed your expectations. I shall ensure your kind feedback is passed onto all staff for their information.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed for two nights and combined a trip to Peppa Pig World. Our children are 3.5 & 18mths and they loved the bunk bed & milk & cookies left for them in our room. The pool was lovely & the food was really good. The pub on site was also good. A very pleasant stay & recommended to families.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
ShireHotels, Stephen Woodrow - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you very much for your kind review after your recent stay with us, I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed Peppa Pig World!

At Shire Hotels we pride ourselves on adding those ‘small details’ such as cookies & milk into the bedrooms for our little vip’s. We have recently refurbished our very own on site pub - the Parson’s Collar, so I am pleased you found time to visit. I hope to see you back at the Solent Hotel & Spa in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I visited the Solent Hotel recently to see if they could arrange a small private post-funeral reception in one of their function rooms. The girl at the front desk could provide no help or information and told me that the member of staff responsible for this was not available until the following Monday. Once of her colleagues did try to interupt and seemed more keen to help, but the first girl stuck to her guns and did her best to persuade me (a potential customer) to go elsewhere. At the very least they could have shown me round some example function rooms and given me a copy of buffet menus etc, but this was not to be.

The whole place just seemed very "corporate" and impersonal with staff who are seemingly unable to use much initiative. Astonishingly, this hotel brags on its website that "you will not find a warmer reception anywhere on the South Coast". Based on my personal experience, I beg to differ.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
ShireHotels, Stephen Woodrow - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent visit to the Solent Hotel. I am sorry to learn about your experience and I have spoken to all of my Reception team to discuss your review.

We have an extremely dedicated events team here at the Hotel and I am sorry to read your request for a show round was poorly managed on this occasion. I do hope and despite this experience you will consider using the Hotel in the near future.

Stephen Woodrow - General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whiteley
Holiday Inn Fareham Solent
#1 of 1 in Shirrell Heath
The Winchester Hotel & spa
The Winchester Hotel & spa
#7 of 13 in Winchester

Been to Solent Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!