“Nice stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whiteley
Portsmouth
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Attended a work night out and stayed over. The room was a tad small, but we weren't in it long and it was clean and had everything we needed. Even a little fridge and complimentary water and milk. Drinks were a little expensive: £7.50 for a cocktail. The beds and pillows were extremely comfy, but the usual noisy hotel guest stomping about and slamming doors at some awful hour woke me up. Not the hotel's fault. Breakfast was plentiful with lovely fresh fruit, cereals and cooked selection which could have been hotter!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
ShireHotels, Stephen Woodrow - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent stay at the Hotel. I am pleased to read you recognise the ‘small details’ such as the fresh milk & water that we present in all rooms as been appreciated and welcome.

I have passed on your comments to the restaurant team following your enjoyable breakfast experience. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Solent Hotel & Spa in the near future, where I recommend a trip to our Spa to sample our fantastic ESPA treatments and exclusive outdoor hot tub!

Steve Woodrow - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Turkish first
Witney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

A last minute decision to have a break resulted in an enjoyable couple of nights, Sat/Sun leaving Mon 2 Dec, in a well appointed comfortable suite at the Solent. The service was attentive and friendly but not intrusive and the meals, breakfast and dinner, in the spacious restaurant, were very good. Only a step away was the bar, draft Thwaites beer available, with comfortable seats in with a number of small snug like areas. Parking was extensive and the hotel even had its own pub 50 yards down the drive which would provide a pleasant alternative to the hotel for food and drink on a longer stay. We didn't use the spa or gym facilities but observed that the swimming pool was one of the largest we had seen in a hotel. Our leisure interests were external and the convenient location just off the M27 at Jct 9 made Hayling Island, Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and Lymington via the New Forest very easy. We even managed a quick sortie to the large retail outlet park in Whiteley. For a future visit Southampton, Goodwood, Beaulieu and Chichester are all within easy reach.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind comments following your recent stay with us.I have passed on your feedback to the teams here at the Hotel.

I hope on your next visit you are able to enjoy our Spa and sample delights over at our very own pub, the Parsons Collar. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Steve Woodrow - General Manager
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

First visit to this hotel for two nights. Very welcoming entrance with lovely log fire burning - great at this time of year and very warming. Room lovely and clean with very comfortable bed and relaxing lounge/sitting room area. Brilliant massages and the outdoor hot tub is a must if you enjoy being out in the fresh cold winter air but nice and warm in lots of lovely hot bubbly water, a great experience that would perhaps have been enhanced by a glass of bubbly!
Restaurant food very good and staff attentive but not too intrusive either. Well located for trip to Portsmouth to Mary Rose or for various shopping centres nearby. A good location but why leave the hotel if you want to relax everything is there that you need to unwind.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
ShireHotels, Stephen Woodrow - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you very much for your recent review after your stay here with us. I am delighted to read that you had a relaxing & enjoyable break, and enjoyed the ‘small details’ that we present in all our guest rooms. I will pass on your comments to the spa team and restaurant teams and that you enjoyed your massages & evening meal. I do look forward to welcoming you back to the Solent Hotel & Spa in the near future.

Walton on Thames
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Spent 2 nights at the Solent 21st/22nd Nov in a twin deluxe room. Very comfortable beds, fresh milk in the fridge to make tea/coffee which was a pleasant change from the UHT option. Had spa treatments, and would recommend as the treatment beds are heated with water. The food is really very good as well deserved of the Rosette Awards. Most importantly, the staff are all very polite and helpful a credit to the hotel. This is my third stay at the hotel and would have no hesitation in making it four!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
ShireHotels, Stephen Woodrow - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Thank you for your recent review, and I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to all my team. I am delighted to read that you sampled the fantastic ESPA treatments and enjoyed the facilities within the Spa. I will look forward to welcoming you back to the Solent Hotel & Spa in the near future.

Stephen Woodrow -General Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Visited this hotel for a family members wedding. Our room was lovely, lots of room, clean and quiet. The spa is very nice even though it small. Dressing gowns and towels are all provided which is great. There is also a nice gym if you feel the need! We had some lunch in bar when we arrived which was average and quite expensive but you expect that in a hotel I guess. The staff were helpful and polite throughout our stay. The restaurant is lovely we had breakfast and Sunday lunch here and it was the best we have had from a hotel in a long time. Would definitely recommend this place and stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
ShireHotels, Stephen Woodrow - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I hope the family wedding was a success and I am delighted to read you had a very enjoyable Sunday Lunch. I am also pleased that you were able to enjoy our facilities, and on your next visit back to the Hotel I highly recommend that you make the most of our fantastic ESPA treatments also.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Solent Hotel & Spa in the near future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

My stay at the solent hotel was a wonderful and comfortable experience. All staff were friendly and polite although appeared a little rushed at times. A lady named claire in the restaurant (possibly the manager?) was very accomodating and made time to conversate with me. Although I did not make use of the spa, it certainly looked wonderful!. I did use room service on one occasion and was impressed with that aswell. Thank you for a lovely stay. I will absolutely come back next year!

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you for your kind feedback following your recent stay at the Hotel. I have passed on your kind comments to the restaurant team, and Clare who has only recently joined us, is delighted with your feedback. I am pleased to read you had an enjoyable room service meal also.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Solent Hotel and Spa in the near future.

Horsham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

We wanted to take our friends away for a weekend and chose the Solent because it looked good, wasn't too far to travel and had a spa. They also had a special Autumn rate. We were not disappointed. Apart from a few little niggles a good time was had by all.

The entrance is impressive. Rooms were spacious and comfortable, the restaurant and food were good, spa area lovely and staff friendly. In particular the bar staff were accommodating in making a cocktail not on the menu, and are now proficient in Tequila Sunrise's! The chef also cooked a veggie meal not on the menu (not many veggie choices was one of the niggles). I found one of the reviewers comments about breakfast choices being limited strange as there was a huge choice. There was enough cooked items to suit meat eaters and vegetarians, plus several choices of cereal, fruit, yoghurt and pastries, plus other items could be cooked to order. It's hard to see how they could have provided more.

Our final bills got into a bit of a muddle and the receptionist was very helpful sorting these out for us.

Our friends enjoyed it very much too and we shall all be back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
ShireHotels, Stephen Woodrow - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Thank you for your recent review, and I am pleased to read you and your friends had an enjoyable stay and enjoyed our Spa facilities. I am also delighted to read you enjoyed the food offerings within the Hotel also.

I am sorry there was confusion regarding the bills on departure, and pleased our Receptionist managed to resolve this quickly for you.

Stephen Woodrow - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whiteley
Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
#19 of 24 in Southampton
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,653 reviews

Been to Solent Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!