“Disappointing- too many problems to recommend, even with 50% off bill” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Solent Hotel & Spa

Solent Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whiteley
Gosport, United Kingdom
“Disappointing- too many problems to recommend, even with 50% off bill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

IF YOU ARE ASTHMATIC, PREGNANT, ARE AN EX SMOKER OR GENERALLY DON'T LIKE SMOKE -DO NOT COME HERE!

As previous reviews have mentioned this hotel stinks of smoke because the guests all stand outside the front entrance smoking -and as the door remains open -the smoke fills the corridors. Luckily we couldn't smell it in the room or restaurant -but it was bad enough to aggravate my asthma. When I asked the manager about this he said there is a designated smoking area -but as I pointed out the entrance should be smoke free -as we could smell the smoke even on the 3rd floor -as there was about 20 quests smoking non stop there!

From the moment we had to fight our way through the smoke and flicking ash upon our arrival -the problems continued..

My husband booked a double massage spa treatment as we were coming here for our 1st wedding anniversary - they made a mistake booking us in so we did not receive our massages together but separately. Apology no 1 -a 2nd complimentary massage for half the time was given to us 9am the next day.

The spa was a bit shoddy in my opinion -we arrived and were shown to 3 or 4 lockers where we could find our robes and slippers -in the end my husband was told he could find them in the mes changing room so I had wait around outside -only to be approached and told that actually only 1 set had been put out -so I was taken to another room where I found a robe -without the tie, and no slippers!! I had to ask for some -and was told they had run out -which meant walking across cold and wet floors, when this is supposed to be luxury hotel. The next day another guest asked for some slippers and was told the same -so I gave her some I had bought down from our hotel room.

Be warned -two of the spa treatment rooms are next to the outdoor whirl pool which makes a continuous LOUD random banging sound NON STOP throughout the day -so if you want a relaxing massage -make sure you get a room away from this. We had it throughout our 2nd massage and I was horrified that staff said it couldn't be helped -and even they said it was really annoying! Not good enough really!

Do not come here if you are expecting a relaxing pool experience -as the small/medium pool is shared with ALL the hotel guests -so is more like a busy public family pool with children running around. On the website the pool looks large, luxurious and beautiful -clearly this is a different shire hotel. The Sauna, whirl pool, and steam room -were standard and clean.

When checking in we were asked how it was going -and when we pointed out how disappointed we were with our spa experience the reception made no real attempt to rectify this -she did say sorry -and mumbled that she would... and she trailed off and never finished her sentence.

Checking into our room -the bathroom light was faulty -flickering. So we called and had to wait around 10 mins for the manager to come and see, by which time I complained that this was not the luxury experience we paid for -and our anniversary was seeing one disappointment after the next. Apology no 2 - the manager upgraded us to another -better -room.

We had a wonderful meal in the restaurant -service was excellent and the food was delicious. Most of the wine here is £10 for a 250ml glass -so I bought the cheapest bottle, and as they were out of this wine I was given a more expensive version at the same price. Enjoyed a lovely 3 course meal -delicious! I would recommend the french onion soup.

The beds put together in our room were AWFUL! Mine was not as bad as my husband's -both the bed's dipped in the middle so much that neither of us had a good nights' sleep. I woke up with a bad back, an aching neck, bags under my eyes from lack of sleep, and a bad chest from the smoke -THIS IS NOT HOW YOU SHOULD FEEL AFTER A NIGHT IN SPA HOTEL!!

Breakfast was also delicious -food on the buffet as well as to order -and excellent service from staff. Thank goodness!

Apology number 3 -50% off our bill by the manager, who -to his credit spoke passionately about the hotel and the importance of rectifying our experience. We do appreciate that the manager made apologies to us and compensated us. But - we asked him to go and look a the bed mattresses while we were at breakfast -and he didn't. So when we complained it made it difficult as it was our word against his -he told us they were new -which they clearly weren't, and he said he'd slept in the bed personally -but when I pushed further - admitted he had only slept in one of the beds -not the particularly bad one. He explained he would ask someone to investigate, which we thought was odd as the whole reason we phoned him to come and look at the mattress -WAS TO INVESTIGATE! You would have to be blind (or lying) to think that mattress was acceptable.

Overall I would recommend that the hotel:

Ban smoking outside the entrance
Throw out the mattresses in room 300 -and check that all are acceptable
Invest in various pillows -instead of only providing large soft ones -even premier inn offer a pillow menu
Ensure booking of treatments are correct and ensure guests are given slippers!

Room Tip: Check your treatment is in room that is not near the loud banging from the outdoor whirl pool
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JussandMatt
SolentHotel, Steve Woodrow - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you for your review and further to your stay at the Solent Hotel.

I am sorry to read your stay was disappointing and I am aware my Duty Manager spoke with you regarding your complaints during your stay.

I have written to you personally in response to your feedback and posting review.

Kind regards
Steve Woodrow, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Turkish first
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for corporate course. Staff very friendly and efficient. Plenty of nooks to sit in around the ground floor. Gardens are well kept. A nice rustic feel to the entrance and reception area. Dining room close to reception, so easy to find. The room was very comfortable with an amazing power shower. Room was cleaned to perfection. Services provided for our in hotel conference were excellent, plenty of hot and cold drinks and variety of snacks. Would love to return again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank HeatherCM737
SolentHotel, General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you for your review following your stay on business.

I was pleased to read that you found the facilities comfortable and the service excellent. Our all day Conference Café certainly gives you much variety to keep you going!!

I am pleased that you are planning a return visit. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Steve Woodrow - General Manager
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Absolutely brilliant and great value for money! Great room, lovely food, staff were very helpful and friendly, nothing was to much trouble! Only downside was there wasn't enough tissues & toilet rolls in the room and on check in it would have been nice to have some guidance about how to book the events for the girls night out, i.e movies, cocktails etc as it was I had to ask but the staff were very helpful, I'd recommend this to everyone, great night of fun and relaxation with wonderful friends! The spa staff were wonderful and the treatments amazing! Very professional and calming. I can't wait to go again!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your recent review after staying with us on a Girls Night Out package.

I am glad that you found the package great value for money and that you very much enjoyed your time with us. I will review with our housekeeping team to ensure that there adequate toiletries for the number of occupants in the room and that our reception team fully explain the hotel facilities on check-in.

Thank you for your recommendation and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Steve Woodrow - General Manager
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Had the pleasure of attending this establishment a few weeks ago and it was absolutely brilliant. Was looking for somewhere nice and relaxing to take my girlfriend for Valentine's Day and this place delivered on every promise!

The Junior Suite we stayed at was large and comfortable, equipped with two TVs and all the extras one could hope for. We really enjoyed the couple's massage but the winner was the outdoor hot tub, which worked brilliantly with the cold weather at the time! Food was brilliant and all round service generally good.

Only thing I would point out was that we were seated away from the main dining room, in the less appealing extension area despite booking several weeks in advance, which was a tiny bit disappointing.

But very pleasing stay all in all. Definitely recommend it!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SolentHotel, General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for posting a review following staying with us over Valentines.

I am pleased to read that we were able to make your Valentines break special and that we lived up to every promise.

Our shared treatment room with its own private terrace and outdoor hot tub is a great facility so I am really glad that you were able to take advantage of this.

I am sorry that the location of your table caused disappointment, do let us know when you dine again and we will be sure to find a different table for you.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed here for a night with my other half. Hotel was very nice ! Room very spacious, Bed comfortable and hotel overall was very nice. The swimming pool and spa facilities were top notch ! Breakfast the next morning was one of the best I have had in a hotel and is well worth the small extra cost. Plenty of parking on site and in a great location. Having the pub on site as well was a great bonus and gets you out for a drink. Overall excellent

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gashead81
Thank you for your review following your recent visit.

I am glad that you both had an enjoyable and relaxing stay, and found time to unwind in the Spa.

We pride ourselves on the quality of our breakfast offering so I am particularly pleased that you enjoyed this.

The Parsons Collar, our onsite country pub, is always worth a visit particularly to enjoy a pint of your favourite Thwaites ale.

I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

we came to the hotel on the 22/03/2014 for my sisters hen do what a amazing hotel! The rooms where very clean and homely we all received a goodie bag with some lovely little bits in them we all thought this was a nice touch. We had our own conference room as there was 19 of us to many to fit in one bed room! This was perfect for what we wanted. We all decided to go down to the spa i had a lovely facial and when i came out i was very relaxed the therapist Kim was very good. The hotel had a large steam room, sauna and a jacuzzi as well as a pool. Robes and slippers where also provided we didn't need to go far for anything. After relaxing we went for cocktails and dinner wow the food was beautiful and the service was excellent. Breakfast in the morning was lovely is was nice to have a few choices from a full english to cereal tea coffee or juice. Our stay was so impressive none of us wanted to go home and we are all hoping to come back very soon. Excellent value for money

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for posting a review following your stay with us.

I am pleased to read that you and your party thoroughly enjoyed your time here and that you were able to take full advantage of what the hotel has to offer.

It's great to read that you are planning a return trip. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Wincanton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Just had a one night stay for a family wedding on site,room well appointed and lacking nothing,shower powerful puts some others to shame,top notch all round,food all good, best breakfast I have had in a good few years,forgot our swimming kit to use the spa though,looks like me and my wife will be back for a spa break soon.....or perhaps a surprise break....try this hotel you won't be disappointed,and close enough to all the shopping and sightseeing you could want.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review following attending a wedding at the hotel.

I note that this was the first time you have stayed with us and I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the facilities and service that we offer.

I do hope that you are able to stay with us again soon so that you can take advantage of our spa facilities.

Steve Woodrow, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whiteley
Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
#17 of 24 in Southampton
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,516 reviews

Been to Solent Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!