“Nice hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whiteley
London, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed here for one night so we could visit Peppa Pig World for my daughters 3rd Birthday. The reception staff were fab with our children as we arrived at the hotel asking them about their first day at Peppa Pig and showing them lots of attention. They were also welcomed with chocolate bars, cookies and a birthday card for my little one in our room which made them smile.
The room was very clean and nicely laid out and both the kids were very excited they had a bunk bed to sleep on.
The only down side was you can't book a table later than 7.15 with the kids to eat in the Resturant. By the time we got back from peppa pig (and getting stuck in rush hour traffic) it was to much of a rush to get in to the Resturant for that time so we had to venture in to Southampton to find somewhere special for a Birthday dinner.I see why they do it but also think it is a little harsh, considering everything else about the hotel is very child friendly. Maybe certain areas of the restaurant could be made available for families wishing to eat that little bit later.

1 Thank Lisanfell
SolentHotel, Steve Woodrow - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for your recent review.

I am pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay with us as part of your Peppa Pig World break, and you welcomed the small details we provide for our little v.i.p's.

It is our dining policy for families dining with small children in the Hotel to eat with us earlier, and we also have our very own pub on site, the Parsons Collar which also offers plenty of choice for family dining.

I hope we will be seeing you again soon.

Steve Woodrow, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Hotel looks lovely and staff are friendly. It is clean and tidy but our group booking was thwarted with problems. We hadn't been advised that the sauna was out of use; items charged to our accounts that were not ours; kept waiting for unreasonable amount of time for breakfast when the table could visibly be seen to be empty the whole time; drinks at bar took over 20 minutes to arrive etc etc. At the reception, every time one of us was near there, all we could hear was people complaining. Then, nearly all of our invoices were incorrect. The spa area and staff is good and this did make up for many of the other issues but I'm afraid, none of us will return or possibly use Shire Hotels and Spas again as first choice. Restaurant food is good and value for money.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be of a good standard.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
SolentHotel, Steve Woodrow - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you for your trip advisor review.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed the Hotel and our facilities, and found all staff friendly and hospitable.

I am aware you met my Operations Manager when you stayed at the Hotel to discuss your feedback from your group.

I am sorry that the Sauna was out of order when you arrived for your stay, as I understand this is an important facility for your spa break - we have recently put a new Sauna into the Spa, so unfortunately this has been unavailable recently.

I do hope and despite your comments you would reconsider using Shire Hotels again for your future Hotel stays.

Baldock, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I just took our 15month old down to Southampton for a friend's wedding. We stayed two nights at the Solent hotel and spa and I have to say it was wonderful. When we got into the room, there was a cookie with my son's name on it as well as some chocolate and a juice box. How very sweet. The breakfast was also stunning and all the staff were incredibly friendly. The swimming pool was great, I only wish I had have been able to use the gym and get a massage but we didn't have time. I would definitely stay there again. Very reasonable price for a very lovely stay. Oh and amazing shower too!

3 Thank Bmason1
Thank you for your very kind review.

I am delighted to learn you had an relaxing and enjoyable family stay and welcomed the small details we deliver for all our guests.

I am pleased you found our facilities, service and hospitality to you liking, and I will pass on your kind comments regarding our staff.

We do hope that you will be visiting us again soon.

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The 1st thing that impressed me with this hotel was how helpful the staff were at reservations, we had initially booked a night stay for coming home from France after a weeks holiday, only due to problems in France, we found that we was coming home 6 days earlier then planned. Anyway, reservations went beyond my expectations in sorting the matter, then when we arrived late with 2 small children, everything was ready for us. Including nice touches for the children, milk, cookies etc,...

We had a premier suite & it was just what we needed, the decor wasn't modern but what I would consider traditional English & was very comfortable.

The pool area is lovely, with the added bonus of a childrens area which isn't very common in hotels in the uk. The spa & gym looked fabulous, but unfortunately did not get the opportunity to use.

The food was good, with a nice selection & breakfast had a good choice, but think it could do a little more.

We loved this 3 night stay so much, that we have now booked to stay Christmas.

2 Thank N H
SolentHotel, Steve Woodrow - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for your very kind feedback.

I am delighted to read my team have looked after your family so well, and I am pleased you have enjoyed your stay with us.

I am also very pleased to read you have now booked to return at Christmas - we look forward to hosting you over this special time of year.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel on Saturday afternoon for our 3night stay. We were made so welcome and our rooms were first class. The staff were very friendly all around. Our meals in the restaurant were delicious and what a lovely menu to choose from. All three of us were not disappointed with the choice. We all enjoyed our three nights stay. Our rooms were very very comfortable and nicely decorated. We certainly look forward to returning to visit the hotel and it's lovely staff again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BJW259
Thank you for your praising and kind review.

I am delighted to read you had a very enjoyable and relaxing three night stay with your friends, with us. I shall pass on your feedback to all my team who will be very pleased to read we have looked after you so well.

I look forward to seeing you return again in the near future.

Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Visiting friends who were celebrating a 50th Birthday, we chose the Solent as I had staying in a Shire Group hotel in Bristol and liked it. Just off the M27, this 4 star hotel was full and busy when we arrived, thanks to two large wedding parties. Despite the number of guests, the place seemed well organised and our welcome friendly. It’s a modern build with some quirky features and quite a homely feel about it. The room we had (standard double) was spacious and had all the usual amenities including a trouser press, which I like even though this wasn’t a business trip. Decent speed Wi-Fi and nice little touches such as fresh milk in the bar fridge – much appreciated when you usually have to endure powdered whitener or UHT stuff.

Our bed was comfortable and air conditioning effective. The pool and Spa looked nice and again seemed well patronised when we passed. We didn’t have a dip or stay for breakfast so unable to judge this or the food. On the con side, our room could have been cleaner – perhaps this was a sign of the high occupancy. My morning paper cost £1.50 and the room (bed only) £130.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank always-the-tourist
Thank you for your recent review.

I am pleased to read you already use Shire Hotels, and enjoyed your stay with us. We provide fresh milk and bottled mineral water in all our guest bedrooms, as part of our 'small details, big difference' standards across all our Hotels, so I am delighted you appreciated this.

I am sorry you did not manage to find the time to enjoy our spa facilities, and perhaps on any future visit you will be able to.

I hope we can welcome you back again in the near future.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed here last night to celebrate my husbands birthday. We booked an incredible package called "girls night out" which although not girls the inclusions were too good to refuse. As busy working parents, it's once to have everything wrapped up for you in advance. We had a lovely room, large and comfortable. View was not good, as straight into the roof, but the the view is not important to our comfort. We enjoyed the spa, a lovely refreshing leisure club with a very friendly team. We then enjoyed cocktails in the bar (included in our package) before a very delightful dinner. The food was excellent as was the service. Very attentive without being intrusive, quite a forgotten skill these days, so even the more impressive. Breakfast was included in our package, but admit a night away from the little ones, we did enjoy a long awaited lie-in but following the delightful stay thus far, I am sure it would have been just as lovely. Checkout was good, one small hic-cup on the bill, but quickly rectified. All in all a wonderful evening and I high recommend both the hotel and the package.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank your for your kind and praising review.

I am delighted to read you had an enjoyable and relaxing stay to celebrate your husband's birthday. Our 'Girls Night In' packages are very popular and I am pleased you had an excellent evening meal also.

I do hope we can be welcoming you back again soon.

Steve Woodrow, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whiteley
Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
#19 of 24 in Southampton
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,691 reviews

Been to Solent Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!