“Overpriced and over rated”
Review of Solent Hotel & Spa

Solent Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whiteley
Reviewed 9 August 2014

The hotel looked quite good on the internet but was disappointed on arrival. Stayed in executive family suite (family of four). Pros: Staff were friendly. Food in restaurant was good but a bit overpriced. Must try: sticky toffee pudding and ice cream - delicious. Nice gifts for children on arrival - cookie and chocolates - a nice surprise. Swimming pool, sauna and jacuzzi were clean. Cons: Room was a bit dated. Pull out bed - mattress was too small for frame. No extractor fan in bathroom. Tiles missing and cracked in bathroom. Signs of mildew around bath tub. Unhygienic and mouldy shower curtain. Asked for soya milk - the staff put 2 uncovered glasses in the fridge - would have rathered a carton or covered glass. Last booking in restaurant for families with kids under 12 is 7pm and you need to be gone by 8pm. You can eat in the bar instead (which has the same menu and is quiet) but not the same. Would not call this a great 4 star hotel - average... yes - great... no!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
SolentHotel, General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

I was disappointed to read that you found the hotel to be over priced and over rated, we certainly strive to provide the best level of product and service at the very best price. I was pleased to read that you appreciated the 'little touches' we provide for our younger guests and that you enjoyed dinner in the restaurant, particularly the sticky toffee pudding (it is good!)

I am sorry that the standards in the bedroom were not as they should have been, I will investigate this with our Head Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager and ensure we rectify this.

I do hope that you will consider returning to the Solent Hotel so that we can showcase our normally high standards.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Myself, partner and 2 children stayed for two nights. We received a warm welcome, the extra effort to make the little ones feel special was brilliant. They loved wearing bathrobes to the spa area. The staff couldn't have been more helpful especially the reception staff who really went above and beyond to make our stay stress free!
Breakfast service was frustrating but our evening meals were fantastic and very reasonable prices.
Our little vip's can not wait to visit the solent hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. At Shire Hotels we understand it is the small details that make a big difference and I am glad you appreciated the little touches we like to provide for our younger guests, we believe they are 'little v.i.p's' too!

I will ensure I pass you kind comments onto the team, particularly reception as I am happy they were able to assist with a stress free stay.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Lovely hotel, ideal for a stopover for the cruise port at Southampton, which is what we booked it for. Really nice touches for the kids with cookies (with their names on them), drinks and chocolates waiting for them in the room. Good quality spa, good pub on site for evening meals, quality breakfasts and a good sized, well equipped room with fresh milk for teas & coffees, need I say more. Oh and good value too. Very happy start to our holiday and Thank you Solent Hotel & Spa.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank GlynnWillson

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

I am really pleased that we were able to get your holiday off to a great start. It is the little touches that make all the difference and I am glad your children enjoyed the little 'treats' we like to provide.

I do hope that you can plan a return visit to us again soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I've stayed here several times before with work. It's a very nice hotel with reasonably good sized rooms and my preferred hotel. Beds are comfortable, room and bathroom very clean. Breakfast is very good a acceptable value for the price. This is ideally located for me with a few minute drive to the office. There's a pub situated on the edge of the car park which is ok as an alternative to eating and drinking in the hotel.

Room Tip: There's supposed to be free wifi but I couldn't access it!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased that you find our location and facilities ideal and that we are your preferred hotel in the area!

I note you had difficulty trying to connect our complimentary Wi-Fi, should you have difficulties in the future please contact reception where we will be more than happy to help you get online.

We looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Overall, my five friends and I had a nice experience at this spa, however we did encounter some trouble throughout the day. Firstly, when we arrived the staff seemed baffled by our booking as the person who took it hadn't booked us in properly. After waiting in reception for twenty minutes it was sorted and we were taken in to a waiting room where two members of our party were told they couldn't be given robes as they weren't having treatments and because of the initial confusion. We were also booked in for afternoon tea at 2:15pm. When we sat down in the restaurant at this time, nobody came to serve us or clear our table for a good 20 minutes until I got up to ask the receptionist if he could send somebody. Our food then came out before our drinks. A few of the girls also ordered chips which didn't come out for another 40 minutes because the waiter admitted he had forgotten to put them on the order.

Overall the treatments were lovely and the spa and its location is a perfect retreat. However I did feel that the service was a bit slow and unorganised due to perhaps lacking of management?

On the other hand I would return here again in the hope that I would have a more relaxing and smooth experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your spa day with us was not as it should have been, I will review this with the team and I would like to apologise for the confusion and delay in service.

I am pleased to read that you would consider returning to us again, should you decide to book then please do let me know so that I can ensure your experience is a lot smoother second time round.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Delightful hotel with all the quality and facilities we expect from Shire Hotels. Just spent one night here but everything you needed was to hand and we had time to use the pool and sauna.

Had a great night's sleep and a lovely breakfast outside on the terrace. Found it strange that the breakfast was essentially a buffet but every item was served by a member of staff. I would have thought it better for both sides if the customer were allowed to serve themselves directly.

There did seem to be insufficient staff for Monday breakfast but maybe a lot of people arrived at the same time.

Would certainly recommend this hotel and will visit again when next in the area.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan E

Thank you for your review.

I pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, at Shire Hotels we believe that it is the small details that make a big difference and I am glad you found this to be the case here at the Solent Hotel.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I have used this hotel on and off for 10 years or more. The rooms are quiet and comfortable (great beds!) and the aircon works well, even in the current heatwave. The staff generally continue to perform their roles in a friendly and professional manner. The breakfast is invariably good and the chaps who serve the food are delightful. If the female breakfast staff smiled and made it seem that they enjoyed their job, the place would be perfect.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. As a loyal guest of over ten years it is pleasing to read that over that period you have found that our product and service to be consistently good. It is always a pleasure to welcome familiar faces back to the hotel and we very much hope you continue to enjoy the hotel facilities for a further ten years and more!

I will be sure to share you comments with the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Steve Woodrow - General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whiteley
Holiday Inn Fareham Solent
#1 of 1 in Shirrell Heath
The Winchester Hotel & spa
The Winchester Hotel & spa
#7 of 13 in Winchester

Been to Solent Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!