Solent Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whiteley
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We booked the solent hotel back in may for 8 people 4 twin rooms were asked for and 'booked'. we then checked a few weeks later as they didnt seem sure of what they were doing when we went in to see them and nope we only had 1 room booked so we booked another 3 rooms.
2 days before our stay I phoned to check something out and they said 'sorry but we cancelled your rooms and spa treatments in june' we booked out treatment in july so not sure how that even happened. After shocking service we eventually got it sorted and were very greatful, once we got there the spa staff were amazing but when we checked 2 people were still in for treatments so asked reception what rooms we had been allocated but nope this was way too hard and 'classified' infomation, how did they want us to find our rooms knock on every door going? After all this the dinner was great and so was breakfast but checking out. Oh my goodness what a shock it was all wrong. I think I need a spa weekend to get over this one!!

• Stayed: August 2014
SolentHotel, Steve Woodrow - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Thank you for you tripadvisor review.

I am pleased to read you had an enjoyable spa experience and dinner and breakfast when staying with us, however sorry to learn there was some confusion regarding your booking details both before and during your stay.

I have reviewed your feedback with my team as it is important we learn and understand the importance of accurate information for all of our guest bookings.

I do hope and despite this annoyance you incurred over this, you would return to the Hotel again in the near future.

Kind regards
Steve Woodrow, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,111)

Reviewed 16 August 2014

The hotel is nice but the staff needs training and more manner's courses.

We stayed three nights with two small children.
The staff was not very friendly.
When we arrived at 22.30 in the night ,the receptionist was nice but made a mistake ,instead to put three nights she put just one.....we did not notice at that time but next day when we wanted to go in the room we could not and the receptionist said we suppose to check out at 12pm.Very surprise,I asked for more details of this mistake.The receptionist( beautiful blonde lady but rude ) was very rude and after a few lines of pantomime ( you paid for one night - no,we paid for three nights,no you did not,yes we did.....no you did not,yes we did....)the manager came to explain us that it was an error......ok,but no apologies,no sorry,nothing of these..... rude as well! We asked the manager to find out what happened and to tell us but she was not bother at all.Looks like she does not want to be there! To help us as a customers!
Next day she saw us but nothing happened: no hello no sorry.....which is very surprise for a three or how many stars has the hotel? or maybe is normal?????I know is a hotel of three stars but after I read the reviews I found out that it is a four stars?
and again,next day in the morning,problem with the key......could not open the door.Left the key at the reception ,left the hotel and when we came back we asked what was wrong.Nobody knew anything! It was like a circus!
In rest,the hotel is nice,clean but the staff.....terrible.And not friendly with the children at all!
When we checked out the same receptionist from our first night,was quite nice but she was the only one nice with us!
We will try to avoid the hotel next time and I already advice my friends not to go there.

many thanks.

1  Thank MonicaBic

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to read you had a disappointing stay with us and found my Duty Manager and staff you encountered to be rude. I have discussed your comments with my Duty Manager, and she is very sorry if she has come across in this manner.

I receive many comments on a regular basis regarding my staff on how friendly and attentive they are. Equally, your feedback I have used as a reminder that providing warm hospitality at all times is an expectation we must all deliver.

Kind regards
Steve Woodrow, General Manager

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We have visited a number of other hotels in the shire hotel group and considered this hotel as a possible when we needed to visit the area and were not disappointed. Shire hotels are always, in our opinion, of a very good standard and offer a good experience but this hotel was higher in most respects than others in the chain - given our excellent experience at others such as Kettering and Bristol, this was wonderful to find.

Our partly included a young baby and choosing a hotel that can cope with a young guest of that age isnt always easy but the Solent did this with easy. We would recommend them strongly for this if you were considering visiting the area.

Food both in the restaurant and in the bar is of an excellent standard. The facilities for meals excellent. We took the advantage of having breakfast outside, using an area that was very pleasant, quiet and a pleasure to use.

There are a good range of reasonably priced wines and of course excellent Thwaites beer.

Very good pool and spa. Two of our group took advantage of the spa treatments and reported it was very good with really good staff

The area is an excellent place to visit. If you go try visiting Titchfield and Netley Abbeys or go down to the Solent and watch the ships. The centre of Portsmouth, with its good parking and shops is a short drive.

If you want to go to the area and want a good hotel, try thus one.

Room Tip: Talk to the staff. Reception are very helpful.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
SolentHotel, General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Thank you for your very kind review on Trip Advisor and recognising the consistent standards that Shire Hotels provide across all of its properties. As a small independent family company we pride ourselves on the small details that make a big difference. I am extremely pleased that you found the service and facilities to be of a high level at the Solent Hotel.

We are very lucky with our location on the south coast to be so close to many great attractions, our team are always willing to help you get the most out of your visit and provide you with local knowledge and tips.

I do hope that you are able to plan a return visit to us in the near future.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Good Hotel - attentive staff.

Summary – nice hotel, average room, fantastic staff, superb restaurant; food and service.

Directions to the hotel were good, car parking was extensive and free with easy access to the room via a lift with an offer of help with cases.

Our bed was only ok and too springy for my liking so that moving caused my partner to be disturbed. While trampolines can be fun and exciting it’s not normally what I want in a bed. TV was quite poor with 10 TV channels, no news channels, no BBC 3 & 4 - SKY sport does not do it for me. Remote controller was unsatisfactory and damaged. The wooden window frame was jammed open, the cupboard fittings for the fridge and the tea making were shabby, while there was some children noise in the hallway at times we had a good nights sleep which at the end of a long day is all I really want from a hotel.

The bathroom was well equipped and new with modern fittings, a poor layout caused the open door to obstruct the toilet and basin. Wifi worked and was included in the room cost.

The restaurant was exceptional. Beautiful food (evening) served elegantly with great service and serving staff willing to engage in conversation. Our meal outside on the terrace was memorable and intimate and perfect for our little celebration.

Breakfast included – this was a nuisance – if you want breakfast at a slightly better price then you need to order it as you make your room booking. For some reason it’s more expensive if it’s not pre-booked. Even though my booking said breakfast included it was not – so I recommend you verify this at check in till they can sort their web site out.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry elements within the bedroom didn't live up to our normally high standards, we will shortly be replacing all of the televisions across all of our bedrooms, although, sky news should have been an option for you to view. I will ask our Maintenance Manager to investigate this along with window and door fittings to ensure they operate correctly. Despite a springy bed (and children in the corridor) I am pleased to read that you had a good nights sleep never the less.

I will review the booking options on our website and apologise if this was not clear or easy to navigate as there should be options for room only, bed and breakfast as well as to include dinner and other items.

It is always pleasing to read how our team provide excellent customer service for our guests. I will ensure your kind words are past onto the team in our restaurant.

I do hope you can plan a visit back to the Solent Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Had a great time here a few weeks ago with friends as a birthday treat from them. Such a relaxing experience and I was most impressed with how good the massages were. Left feeling pampered to the max!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Suziegreen01

Thank you for your kind review.

I was glad that we were able to pamper you for your birthday and that you left feeling suitably relaxed. Our double treatment room with outdoor hot tub is perfect if two off you want to unwind and enjoy a special treat.

I do hope that you can plan a return visit soon.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Check in was a bit slow as I was the only person there, but staff are polite and eager to help. Room is very well equipped although the TV could do with an upgrade. Layout of the hotel is interesting and you have plenty to explore through the bar area, lounge/foyer and dining area.
The spa area is well equipped with great gym facilities and the sauna and steam room are excellent, pool is clean with a small area for children to play safe and room to stretch your arms if you are in need of a good swim. Jacuzzi is spacious but there is limited room to relax on a sun lounger. Showers and changing facilities are good. All staff are very professional and helpful. Evening meal for me was superb as I am a bit fussy and like my steak well done but this came out perfect, but for £27 I would expect that.
Second time I have stayed here and overall, I have to say I am impressed by the professionalism and courtesy shown to all visitors, would I recommend this hotel, for sure, but it is not a cheap weekend away!

Room Tip: All floors have lift access, I overlooked the car park but there was no noise intrusion and I slept...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that the check in process took a little while but glad that the team were attentive and eager to help. I am glad that overall you found the facilities to be what you needed, we will shortly be rolling out brand new televisions across all of our bedrooms.

Whilst only your second visit it is always pleasing to read how well the team look after our guests, I will share your comments with them.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

The hotel looked quite good on the internet but was disappointed on arrival. Stayed in executive family suite (family of four). Pros: Staff were friendly. Food in restaurant was good but a bit overpriced. Must try: sticky toffee pudding and ice cream - delicious. Nice gifts for children on arrival - cookie and chocolates - a nice surprise. Swimming pool, sauna and jacuzzi were clean. Cons: Room was a bit dated. Pull out bed - mattress was too small for frame. No extractor fan in bathroom. Tiles missing and cracked in bathroom. Signs of mildew around bath tub. Unhygienic and mouldy shower curtain. Asked for soya milk - the staff put 2 uncovered glasses in the fridge - would have rathered a carton or covered glass. Last booking in restaurant for families with kids under 12 is 7pm and you need to be gone by 8pm. You can eat in the bar instead (which has the same menu and is quiet) but not the same. Would not call this a great 4 star hotel - average... yes - great... no!

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

I was disappointed to read that you found the hotel to be over priced and over rated, we certainly strive to provide the best level of product and service at the very best price. I was pleased to read that you appreciated the 'little touches' we provide for our younger guests and that you enjoyed dinner in the restaurant, particularly the sticky toffee pudding (it is good!)

I am sorry that the standards in the bedroom were not as they should have been, I will investigate this with our Head Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager and ensure we rectify this.

I do hope that you will consider returning to the Solent Hotel so that we can showcase our normally high standards.

Steve Woodrow - General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whiteley
Holiday Inn Fareham Solent
The Winchester Hotel & spa
#7 of 13 in Winchester
3 mi away
TravelRest Solent Gateway

Been to Solent Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!