“Great dining”
Review of Solent Hotel & Spa

Solent Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whiteley
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Really nice hotel. The quality of the food, both in restaurant and bar is great. Had one of the best steaks ever. The Sunday lunches are very good. The restaurant decor is good and the level of service is high with friendly trained staff.
The amenities are very good too. A good gym nice pool and spa facilities.

Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Bill_Fareham
SolentHotel, Steve Woodrow - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Thank you for your tripadvisor review.

I am delighted to read as you live locally to the Hotel, that you visit us on a regular basis and enjoy the facilities and food and service we offer our guests.

I note your comments regarding our steaks (thank you) and we source all our meats from quality and very reputable local butchers.

We hope to see you back again in the Hotel soon.

Kind Regards
Steve Woodrow, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,113)

Reviewed 18 August 2014

This fairly large, well-presented and still fairly new hotel is not about being in a beautiful location but it has enough to offer in its own right to make a stay worthwhile. Fareham is a small place located between the busy city of Southhampton and Portsmouth, with access to the sea within a 10 minute drive.
The hotel consists of a large main building that includes restaurant and bar facilities, an extensive spa and spaces to host special events - for example there is an ongoing concert series of tribute bands that seems popular but is also available for conferences. In the wooded grounds the hotel runs its own pub with great facilities, garden and good pub food menu.
While one expects more of a corporate feel from the website and size the hotel is actually quite cosy and very popular with families with young children. Interiors have a traditional feel and lobby, bar and restaurant are all very well laid out. The spa has full facilities like sauna, steam room and jacuzzi and a good sized swimming pool. Best for the small children is a shallow part next to the main pool, and for adults there is a range of treatments. Rooms are well furbished and have all facilities as expected.
One of the best things about this hotel is the friendly staff, from reception to restaurant, pub and spa. Breakfast has a great selection and English and Continental buffet, but although dinner was good in the restaurant in parts some dishes could have been improved.
Overall it has been a very pleasant stay and I would recommend this hotel for the area.

Room Tip: Junior suites are spacious and pleasant although the one we stayed in was towards the front of the h...
1  Thank Tillmann L

Thank you for your recent review.

I am pleased to read you had a relaxing and enjoyable break, and welcomed the facilities we have in the Hotel.

I shall forward your comments to all my staff as I am especially pleased you recognise our staff as been a strength and real asset of the Hotel.

I do hope you will be planning another visit soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

I travelled with my family for a last minute, 2 night break in August, not knowing the area but wanting to be close to Hampshire visitor attractions. Solent Hotel was very convenient, and we enjoyed days at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, Beaulieu and Winchester.
Staff at the hotel were very helpful, including dealing with a group of noisy visitors in an adjacent room at 12.30am.
The swimming pool was very busy, but as we visited it during early evenings, we know this was as much to do with our timing!
We were pleasantly surprised with the size of our family room, however the sofa bed was very uncomfortable.
We chose not to eat at the hotel restaurant, for breakfast or dinner, and due to the (unknown to us at booking) newly opened Whiteley shopping complex half a mile away, we were spoiled for choice!
All in all, we had a great time at the hotel, and would visit again if we return to the area.

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for your recent review.

I am delighted to read you had an enjoyable and relaxing stay, and enjoyed the position our Hotel offers you to enjoy the many attractions we have in our area.

I note you did not chose to dine in the Hotel and made use of facilities close by; I would strongly recommend on your next visit that you dine with us and enjoy the food, service and facilities we offer with the Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We booked the solent hotel back in may for 8 people 4 twin rooms were asked for and 'booked'. we then checked a few weeks later as they didnt seem sure of what they were doing when we went in to see them and nope we only had 1 room booked so we booked another 3 rooms.
2 days before our stay I phoned to check something out and they said 'sorry but we cancelled your rooms and spa treatments in june' we booked out treatment in july so not sure how that even happened. After shocking service we eventually got it sorted and were very greatful, once we got there the spa staff were amazing but when we checked 2 people were still in for treatments so asked reception what rooms we had been allocated but nope this was way too hard and 'classified' infomation, how did they want us to find our rooms knock on every door going? After all this the dinner was great and so was breakfast but checking out. Oh my goodness what a shock it was all wrong. I think I need a spa weekend to get over this one!!

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for you tripadvisor review.

I am pleased to read you had an enjoyable spa experience and dinner and breakfast when staying with us, however sorry to learn there was some confusion regarding your booking details both before and during your stay.

I have reviewed your feedback with my team as it is important we learn and understand the importance of accurate information for all of our guest bookings.

I do hope and despite this annoyance you incurred over this, you would return to the Hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

The hotel is nice but the staff needs training and more manner's courses.

We stayed three nights with two small children.
The staff was not very friendly.
When we arrived at 22.30 in the night ,the receptionist was nice but made a mistake ,instead to put three nights she put just one.....we did not notice at that time but next day when we wanted to go in the room we could not and the receptionist said we suppose to check out at 12pm.Very surprise,I asked for more details of this mistake.The receptionist( beautiful blonde lady but rude ) was very rude and after a few lines of pantomime ( you paid for one night - no,we paid for three nights,no you did not,yes we did.....no you did not,yes we did....)the manager came to explain us that it was an error......ok,but no apologies,no sorry,nothing of these..... rude as well! We asked the manager to find out what happened and to tell us but she was not bother at all.Looks like she does not want to be there! To help us as a customers!
Next day she saw us but nothing happened: no hello no sorry.....which is very surprise for a three or how many stars has the hotel? or maybe is normal?????I know is a hotel of three stars but after I read the reviews I found out that it is a four stars?
and again,next day in the morning,problem with the key......could not open the door.Left the key at the reception ,left the hotel and when we came back we asked what was wrong.Nobody knew anything! It was like a circus!
In rest,the hotel is nice,clean but the staff.....terrible.And not friendly with the children at all!
When we checked out the same receptionist from our first night,was quite nice but she was the only one nice with us!
We will try to avoid the hotel next time and I already advice my friends not to go there.

many thanks.

1  Thank MonicaBic

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to read you had a disappointing stay with us and found my Duty Manager and staff you encountered to be rude. I have discussed your comments with my Duty Manager, and she is very sorry if she has come across in this manner.

I receive many comments on a regular basis regarding my staff on how friendly and attentive they are. Equally, your feedback I have used as a reminder that providing warm hospitality at all times is an expectation we must all deliver.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We have visited a number of other hotels in the shire hotel group and considered this hotel as a possible when we needed to visit the area and were not disappointed. Shire hotels are always, in our opinion, of a very good standard and offer a good experience but this hotel was higher in most respects than others in the chain - given our excellent experience at others such as Kettering and Bristol, this was wonderful to find.

Our partly included a young baby and choosing a hotel that can cope with a young guest of that age isnt always easy but the Solent did this with easy. We would recommend them strongly for this if you were considering visiting the area.

Food both in the restaurant and in the bar is of an excellent standard. The facilities for meals excellent. We took the advantage of having breakfast outside, using an area that was very pleasant, quiet and a pleasure to use.

There are a good range of reasonably priced wines and of course excellent Thwaites beer.

Very good pool and spa. Two of our group took advantage of the spa treatments and reported it was very good with really good staff

The area is an excellent place to visit. If you go try visiting Titchfield and Netley Abbeys or go down to the Solent and watch the ships. The centre of Portsmouth, with its good parking and shops is a short drive.

If you want to go to the area and want a good hotel, try thus one.

Room Tip: Talk to the staff. Reception are very helpful.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
SolentHotel, General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Thank you for your very kind review on Trip Advisor and recognising the consistent standards that Shire Hotels provide across all of its properties. As a small independent family company we pride ourselves on the small details that make a big difference. I am extremely pleased that you found the service and facilities to be of a high level at the Solent Hotel.

We are very lucky with our location on the south coast to be so close to many great attractions, our team are always willing to help you get the most out of your visit and provide you with local knowledge and tips.

I do hope that you are able to plan a return visit to us in the near future.

Kind regards,

Steve Woodrow - General Manager

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Good Hotel - attentive staff.

Summary – nice hotel, average room, fantastic staff, superb restaurant; food and service.

Directions to the hotel were good, car parking was extensive and free with easy access to the room via a lift with an offer of help with cases.

Our bed was only ok and too springy for my liking so that moving caused my partner to be disturbed. While trampolines can be fun and exciting it’s not normally what I want in a bed. TV was quite poor with 10 TV channels, no news channels, no BBC 3 & 4 - SKY sport does not do it for me. Remote controller was unsatisfactory and damaged. The wooden window frame was jammed open, the cupboard fittings for the fridge and the tea making were shabby, while there was some children noise in the hallway at times we had a good nights sleep which at the end of a long day is all I really want from a hotel.

The bathroom was well equipped and new with modern fittings, a poor layout caused the open door to obstruct the toilet and basin. Wifi worked and was included in the room cost.

The restaurant was exceptional. Beautiful food (evening) served elegantly with great service and serving staff willing to engage in conversation. Our meal outside on the terrace was memorable and intimate and perfect for our little celebration.

Breakfast included – this was a nuisance – if you want breakfast at a slightly better price then you need to order it as you make your room booking. For some reason it’s more expensive if it’s not pre-booked. Even though my booking said breakfast included it was not – so I recommend you verify this at check in till they can sort their web site out.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry elements within the bedroom didn't live up to our normally high standards, we will shortly be replacing all of the televisions across all of our bedrooms, although, sky news should have been an option for you to view. I will ask our Maintenance Manager to investigate this along with window and door fittings to ensure they operate correctly. Despite a springy bed (and children in the corridor) I am pleased to read that you had a good nights sleep never the less.

I will review the booking options on our website and apologise if this was not clear or easy to navigate as there should be options for room only, bed and breakfast as well as to include dinner and other items.

It is always pleasing to read how our team provide excellent customer service for our guests. I will ensure your kind words are past onto the team in our restaurant.

I do hope you can plan a visit back to the Solent Hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,

Steve Woodrow - General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whiteley
Holiday Inn Fareham Solent
The Winchester Hotel & spa
#7 of 13 in Winchester
3 mi away
TravelRest Solent Gateway

Been to Solent Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!