“1 Heavily pregnant woman+1 Wheelchair=Zero problems!”
Review of Montagu's

Montagu's
Ranked #6 of 20 Restaurants in Whiteley
Price range: US$4 - US$32
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I took my mother to Montagues for a spring treat, as we fancied something just a bit nicer than the standard chain restaurant fare. I'd been meaning to go for ages, as I always enjoy visits to Frst to Desk in Whiteley (owned by the same people/guy I believe).

We went at lunchtime, and were helped in by one of the waiters, who checked that the table he offered was OK for us and removed one of the chairs so that my mum could pull her wheelchair right in. He took our drinks order, and my mum asked if she could have a white coffee with squirty cream on top. No problem, said the waiter, unfortunately that wasn't what was bought over (it was a black coffee with a small jug of pouring cream) but when I explained it wasn't right, the owner/manager (lovely guy) bought over exactly what she wanted and apologised. The waiter then came back to take our food order. I had the brie and mushroom ciabatta (faultless) and mum ordered a croissant. When hers came out she asked the waiter for more butter, no problem, he said, and took the small pot of butter away but never returned with a larger one and started to serve other tables. The manager guy caught our eye again and asked if everything was OK, so we asked for some butter-once again he grabbed it in a heartbeat and apologised. I think it was the same pot that originally came out, so we didn't get any extra butter. Not a problem though, the food and staff and general atmosphere were so pleasant we didn't mind one bit-but those little things do stick in the mind.

Once paid and leaving, the manager asked again if all was well, and had a little chat with us. I enthused about Fresh to Desk and he said he thought I had looked familiar. He also noticed my giant pregnant belly and grabbed the door for us so that I could get mum out. Now whenever I walk past and I catch his eye he gives me a smile or a wave. Looking forward to going back once I've had my baby and enjoying a juicy rare streak and a few glasses of Prosecco. In a nutshell, I would say they do a limited menu of local, seasonal food, and they do it well.

1  Thank Mickey_Elliott

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Mothers day out - four course meal.
Excellent value. Wonderful choice.
Superb staff and service.
A please to dine
If at whitely - do not miss this........... open seven days ..........

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We are regulars at Montagu's and it just keeps getting better! We have experienced scrummy breakfasts - full english of course, lunch time sharing platters - the salmon marinated in beetroot simply divine, and enjoyed a mid afternoon glass of Proscecco whilst sitting in the sunshine. No other eatery in Whiteley can compare unless of course you prefer franchise run establishments. Keep up the great food and excellent service we dont want to lose you to the awful burger bars that make up the rest of the competition in Whiteley!

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner went here for a last minute meal on a weekday evening, as other reviews say there is a limited menu but the good we had was amazing! We ended up sharing a selection of the tapas as well as a baked Camembert.

The staff were attentive without being over baring and it was reasonably priced. We also enjoyed their selection of cakes!

Reviewed 14 March 2014

3 weeks ago my son & I ordered coffee & crumpets, they had no crumpets left but offered us teacakes instead. The waitress dropped mine on the floor and said sorry but they had no more. She did not offer me anything else. This morning we decided to give it another try, big mistake. I ordered 1 green tea & 1 coke plus tea cakes for myself & my son because again, they had no crumpets left. We got the tea & coke. I waited over 10 minutes and asked when we would receive our tea cakes. They said the order was not transmitted to the kitchen via their new mini iPads!!!! I suggest you use note pads & pencils and consider making more crumpets & tea cakes. I will not visit this place again. So disappointing!!