“Disappointing”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Yateley
Cardiff
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My partner booked this hotel via an Amazon Local deal that was for 1 night's stay inclusive of dinner at the Marco Pierre White restaurant and breakfast in the morning. The stay wasn't perfect by a longshot, but then maybe that is what we should have expect from a 3-star hotel.

Upon arriving at the hotel we found ample parking and were warmly greeted at reception. After providing our details we were then directed to our room at the back of the hotel. Upon entering the room, all was clean and appeared as described in our brochure. The decoration of the room felt dated (naff wallpaper material), and the bathroom looked a bit like something from the 50's (light-brown coloured toilet and bath).

We dropped our gear off in the room, and proceeded to go for a drink at the bar before going for a walk around the surrounding area. The bar was small but modern and we enjoyed a quick drink there.

After coming back from our walk, we proceeded to get ready for dinner and popped down at our alloted time in excitment of experiencing some fine dining. This is where the problems begin...

We sat in the bar and were told our table would be ready shortly, to which we decided to order a couple of champagne cocktails (expensive and weren't really anything special). We were handed the a la carte menus from which we had been planning our meals for before arriving at the hotel, and then handed a smaller 'set' menu each. To our disappointment, the member of staff then proceeded to inform us should we wish to upgrade to the a la carte that we would have to pay a £20 supplement each!! As this was not pointed out anywhere (neither the sample menu provided on the Amazon offer, nor the hotel website, nor even the a la carte menu sampled on the website), we felt very hard done by and rightly complained that there must have been some confusion and would they kindly check our reservation. The receptionist said she could not see anywhere that we were due the a la carte menu selection and that we would have to take the matter up with the manager. Upon explaining the problem to the manager, we were told that there was nothing he could do and that 'it is what it is', which we felt was completely unacceptable and misleading.

We were shown to our table by our cheerful and polite waiter and proceeded to order from the smaller, less appetising menu. Our wine was nice, and starters were reasonably enjoyable. For mains we both ordered the leg of lamb. Mine was cooked well and tasted delicious, though my parter's was overcooked and nowhere near to the same quality of mine.

Puddings were ordered, and with my parter still unhappy with the way we had been treated, kindly asked the manager (who by this time had proceeded to takeover duties of waiting) if she could at least have the sticky toffee pudding from the a la carte menu to which he obliged. So a small consolation on our dining experience.

Our night's sleep had been one of unrest as the bed was one of the most uncomfortable we had ever slept on. Springs were very apparent and dug in, bed was too firm. The TV in the morning seemed to have a mind of it's own as when you tried to watch BBC1 it would automatically switch off after 5 seconds (there was no problem with the other channels). The shower had minimal pressure, was difficult to operate and was far too sensitive, near-burning my partner in the process. Upon trying the Wi-Fi (for which we had received a 'free' voucher) this did not work (despite being discoverable) and our wi-fi enabled devises couldn't utilise it. Had to switch to using 3G instead.

Going down for breakfast cheered us up a little from our evening events as we found this to be a good buffet of well cooked full english breakfast and a good selection of cereals, juices, breads, etc. We then checked-out and went on our way.

All-in-all there was a number of things that could have been better on our stay, and we were relatively glad that it was just the 1 night we were staying. Had we been paying the full amount to stay there, (which we probably wouldn't have been far off had we taken the supplement a la carte menu extra per head) this review could have been worse. We would not reccommend this hotel to our friends and family.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matt B
TheCasaManager, Manager at The Casa Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Matt B,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your detailed feedback. A detailed review highlighting both the positives and negatives allows to fully access our operation and make changes were necessary.

I am pleased that the room was well prepared and clean, and we are already 50% of the way through a phased refurbishment program of our bathroom, and work is already underway to remove the artex wall covering and modernise the remaining rooms. We have already invested in new TV's, Tea and Coffee facilities, New Bathroom products and new pillows in all our bedrooms to name a small collection of the investments made.

I am truly sorry you felt misled by the included option, the menu you describe as 'set' is our Table d Hote menu which offers a choice of at least four dishes on each course and is the menu which is included for all guests taking an inclusive option and has been the case since November 2011. I am sorry this is not detailed on our website, however it is noted on our confirmations which are sent by email should a guest provide this information.
The option to pay a small upgrade fee of £20 would still represent unbelievable value, take as an example the exceptional Fillet of Beef which is £33.50 for the main course itself.

I appreciate your balanced feedback, which has allowed us to replace the mattress in the room you occupied, and have our TV contract supplier replace the unit. We have looked into the wi-fi and can see no 'downtime'. Our system requires our guests to load a landing page (launch there chosen browser) which is sometimes overlooked. We have provided full instructions in the bedroom folder and on the guest registration card.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future,
Kind Regards,
Chris Baigent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
high wycombe
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Myself and my partner recently stayed at the casa hotel for one night inclusive of dinner and breakfast.On arrival we were greeted by a warm and friendly receptionist that checked us in efficiently, our bedroom was of a good standard, spacious and clean, exactly what you would expect from a good 3 star hotel (a fact I think a lot of these reviewers forget, these seem to expect 5 star deluxe for 2 star prices!).The dinner for us was the real wow factor, the food was good and well worthy of a rosette or two, the service that accompanied it was friendly, unobtrusive and professional and exactly what was required.The next morning provided us with a good hearty breakfast to start up for the day, I would say that a little more choice wouldnt go a miss but enjoyable none the less.After breakfast we were checked out by a charming young lady who wished us a safe journey.All in all this was a really good break in a good well run hotel, now I dont know about you but that is all I ask when I pay a reasonable price.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ah2002_9
TheCasaManager, Manager at The Casa Hotel, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Dear ah2002_9,

I was pleased to share your encouraging feedback with my team and managers. Such praise drives us forward as we look to further evolve and develop our offer in a competitive market.

I am pleased you feel we represent excellent value, and i believe our level of service is on par, if not better than many four star properties. We are currently in the process of modernizing our hotel sympathetically and we are also in the final stages of putting together our new breakfast standard.

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future, perhaps our Perrier-Jouet Champagne evening with 6 course menu all served with a glass of fizz for just £65 would tempt you?
Thursday 7th November, please call to reserve.

Best thoughts,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Stayed in October as a part of a local deal. The building is looking amazing from outside, there definitely was the 'wow' factor. Check in was quick and easy we found both receptionists very welcoming, polite and helpful. We headed into our room which had stunning four poster bed and a large bathroom. We also had dinner in the evening - the staff just couldn't do enough for us. From arrival to the bar till the end they were just amazing. Definitely worth the money as we had such a good time. Will definitely come back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul B
Dear Paul B,

I took great pleasure to read and share with the team your kind feedback.
I am thrilled that my team went to above and beyond your expectations and this is very much the culture we try create. Whilst we are sometimes limited by the constraints of the business or building the team often go out there way with the hard work and commitment and it is pleasing to this realised on this occasion.

I look forward to seeing again soon,
Best wishes,
Southsea
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Our room was excellent with all the extras you hope for - staff couldn't have been more helpful - food was amazing - and we met Marco-Pierre White too. Free car park, great pub nearby. What's not to like?

Room Tip: We had a top floor room with woodland view.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Craig M
Dear Craig M,

Thank you so much for you words of praise. The team are thrilled with such positive feedback, as am i. Rest assured we will continue to improve and develop our product to ensure we continually meet and exceed our guest expectations.

I look forward to seeing you again in the future,

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Charming hotel set in a very green environment. I had an issue with the bed the first night but could change rooms the next night without any trouble. The dinner was good and affordable. I wanted to eat a vegetarian dish. During the 3 nights I stayed, it was each time risotto but a different version. Some more variation here might be interesting. Overall a good experience at affordable prices.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Michel V
Dear Michel V,

Thanks for your kind words following your stay with us. I am pleased to read that we were quickly able to make good our small failings with your original room and i appreciate your understanding and the opportunity for us to do so. We have already replaced the mattress in this room ahead of planned mattress replacement scheduled due in January to ensure we have no further problems.

I have also discussed your feedback with the chef and we are pleased to offer alternative options to our vegetarian moving forward.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future,

Sincerely
Bourton on the Water, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Recently stayed at the Casa, I found the food, and friendliness of the staff to be very good, and was pleasantly surprised with our stay here, would recommend to all! Room size was good and overall very happy with my stay at the Casa

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew F
Dear Andrew F,

Thank you for short and concise feedback. I am pleased you had a nice stay with us.
We offer excellent value at very competitive prices (often less than brand chains such as PremierIn and TravelLodge) whilst still offering the full range of amenities including tea and coffee facilities, flat screen TV, free WiFi, Full English Breakfast to name a few.

I hope we can welcome you back soon,

Regards,
Szczecin, Poland
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We have returned to The Casa Hotel for the second time as we really enjoyed our previous stay. As soon as we have walked in we felt like at home. Receptionist on duty was extremely helpful and couldn’t do enough for us. The check in was very quick and efficient and help with our luggage was offered as well. Rooms are basic but very clean with all facilities you would expect form a good standard hotel. Bathrooms are in need of refurbishment however it did not affect us as is not like you spent much time in the bathroom J We had the pleasure to dine in the Marco Pierre White restaurant and service was first class too! All staff are very friendly and you really feel like a guest not just a number as in most chain hotels. Food was really good; the only thing which I would like to see on my next visit is better presentation. The portions are very good size and a great value for money. You have to try their cocktails – THEY ARE AMAZING !!!! We didn’t have a chance to enjoy the breakfast (inclusive in all their rates!) but I am sure it was as good as the dinner. All in all great hotel and please do not be scared off by some of their reviews as it looks like they far away from the truth… We will definitely be back soon.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tomasz S
Dear Tomasz,

Thanks for your kind and considered words. My team and i take great pride in receiving positive feedback and it is the best reward my honest and hardworking team can receive.

We are currently 50% through a phased refurbishment of all our bathrooms, along with updating our rooms and fittings; which of course we will do with the utmost sympathy for the age and character of our 17th Century building.

I am very pleased your enjoyed our cocktail menu, we launched our cocktail list 3 months ago, and as a result of its success we have recently increased our offer, and 'tweaked' our offer to further improve the quality and process involved.

I look forward to welcoming you for a third visit,
Chris Baigent
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yateley
The Ely
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,819 reviews
Lismoyne Hotel
Lismoyne Hotel
#1 of 4 in Fleet

Been to The Casa Hotel? Share your experiences!