“Party Night at the Casa - Great night, good food, average service.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Casa Hotel

The Casa Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Yateley
London, United Kingdom
“Party Night at the Casa - Great night, good food, average service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

We visited as part of a Christmas party event, marketed as “a sophisticated classical evening brimming with mystery, glamour and intrigue in dark, sultry surroundings”. We did not stay in the hotel and so can only comment on the food and quality of the function room and bar. As the event brochure named the hotel rather than restaurant I have opted to leave comments on this page.

The evening started well, we were greeted by a fire eater outside the entrance and ushered inside by masked attendees (I should add it was a masquerade ball! Unfortunately although we had been advised masks would be available on the night, there were very few (not enough), despite our arriving early and most people having brought their own). Luckily we came by taxi as would not have been able to park at the venue, which was very busy. Once inside, we were anticipating a “fabulous cocktail” as advertised in the brochure, but were offered nothing and so had to assume that we were supposed to get these ourselves from the bar. Instead I ordered 2 gin and tonics, which were served to me in pint glasses! Not very glamorous and not in keeping with the £11+ charged. They were switched for slightly more appropriate wine glasses on request, with an explanation that they had run out of glasses, less than half an hour into the evening. In fact, the lack of (correct) glasses was a running theme – red wine was later served in champagne flutes etc. The bar manager did at least make the effort to seek us out at our table when he did unearth some wine glasses later.

We had ordered in advance from a set menu, which included 3 courses, but no drinks except for the water on the table and a tea or coffee after, and things improved once the food began to leave the kitchen. It was simple, but well cooked and full of flavour. It was perhaps on the expensive side, all things considered and perhaps not the quality we expected given that Marco Pierre White put his name to it, but enjoyable and well portioned and, undoubtedly part of the price also went towards the evenings entertainment. Sadly, the serving staff did let the side down a little. They were all polite and earnest enough, but clearly inexperienced and often seemingly disorganized. At each course, a good proportion of the table were left waiting for their food whilst the servers aimlessly wandered around the room looking for someone to claim their meal. At one point a teenager came round with a bin liner to clear clutter from the tables, practical perhaps but not what one expects on a supposedly “sophisticated” occasion. I appreciate that many of the servers were teenagers and, most likely, only there for the busy Christmas season and so may not represent the usual quality of staff at the hotel or restaurant. I also consider, though, that if you work to high standards, you should aim to maintain them at all times. Following the meal we were encouraged to serve ourselves tea and coffee from a table near the bar.

Entertainment was laid on during the meal in the form of a young, close up magician and afterwards by a DJ. Our group was fairly diverse in terms of age and taste, but I have to say everyone felt the DJ was a bit below par until later on in the evening when an improvement in his musical tastes (from what I assume was his “Now that’s what I call 90’s reggae!” album to dance floor / Karaoke favourites and a few more modern numbers) coincided merrily with everyone’s declining sobriety.

Overall, we had a wonderful night, due to great company, good food, high spirits and a few Christmas tipples (purchased separately from the bar of course) and so left happy. I might return to try the proper restaurant as the food was certainly enjoyable and we were well treated. That said, I probably wouldn't organise a group going to a similar event / party night here though as the standard of service fell short of what we expected given the way the venue and this event in particular were marketed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Little B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

I booked the casa hotel through amazon local deals for 2 nights for my partners birthday. I was a little apprenhensive after reading some of the reviews but it wasn't bad at all.
We checked in without any problems and we were give free wifi vouchers (which unfortunately didnt work so couldnt connect to the wifi on the tab or phones).
Room was number 45, spacious, huge bed which was very comfortable and most importantly it was clean! There was a little room for improvement we have stayed in better, wall had a a big crack that looked shabby, the hairdryers are from the 80's I think! The bathroom was nice but the shower was always way too hot to stand under, room could get very warm but the radiator had a control to turn it down. Also I think alot of the rooms are over the bar and kitchens as we could hear lots of banging and then bottles being thrown into the bins outside our room wasn't too much of a problem for us but we heard alot of people complaining at breakfast.
We ate in the wheelers marco pierre white restaurant and the food was beautiful and the staff in the restaurant were very attentive, friendly and professional! Breakfast in the restaurant was also at a very good standard.
We had a pleasant stay and if I was in the area I would definately return.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TheCasaManager, Manager at The Casa Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Hi Katie-Aaron,

Thank you taking the time to pass on your comments following your stay with us.
I am thrilled you enjoyed your time with us, and i am sorry you had problems with the Wi-Fi. We are moving our Wi-Fi service to a new supplier from the 1st of March and this should guarantee and much improved connection without the need for vouchers and a faster connection speed.

I hope that the noise from our kitchen did not disturb you to much? We have already taken steps to further soundproof these rooms, and have relocated our bottle and waste recycling areas further from bedrooms. We have also implemented standards to ensure certain activities are not carried out during the late or early hours of the day. We have also recently installed a new shower unit in bedroom 45 as a result of guest feedback.

I am glad you enjoyed your meal in the restaurant, i am sure the team would be thrilled to see a review on the Wheelers Yateley tripadvisor page?

Hope we can welcome you back again soon,
Faithfully,
Cornwall, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Booked a twin room online, but when I rang the day before staying, they told me there wasn't one available and hadn't been one available since last Feb. I had booked online a month previous, but no-one had contacted me to let me know the room wasn't available. I was told I would have to pay extra for an executive twin room...the reservations manager was unhelpful, and told me that I shouldn't book through Booking.com, as I would get a better deal by phoning direct, and more likely to get the right room! I complained about his lack of helpfulness and the miss-selling, but he never once offered to upgrade us for the same price we paid for a standard room, which he could have done because of the obvious error on their side.

We got there and were eventually offered a 'cancellation' standard room - (bit suspicious, suddenly finding a standard twin, after I complained) but it ended up being a complete nightmare, as it was directly above the bar, (room 4) and they had a rowdy Christmas party which went on until 4.00am in the morning when the police arrived because one reveller was being abusive. We didn't sleep for more than an hour that night, you could hear every word the drinkers were saying, and outside the window in the car park they were swearing and swigging champagne, which we saw evidence of in the morning. Whilst we had breakfast we could see outside the window, empty bottles were scattered. No-one had cleared up....

We couldn't wait to leave, it was a complete disaster, The receptionist in the morning was sympathetic, that was the only positive point.

Room Tip: Ring to book, don't go online, and ask for a room at the back!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Trunkie
Dear Trunkie,

Thanks for passing on your feedback following your stay with us. I am sorry that you were disappointed on arrival, although i find it unfair to label my Front of House Manager 'unhelpful' even after he has clearly shown you that the details we received from booking.com details a double/twin as at that time, it was not possible to book a twin room with booking.com. Furthermore there was no actual error or mis-selling on our part, and my team are completely correct that if you are able to book direct we could guarantee a twin room at the rate and standard requested, furthermore we have a 'Best Available Rate' Guarantee to which we will offer a further 10% discount should you find the rate cheaper elsewhere. I am pleased that we have recently invested in a new interface so that booking.com can access our inventory, allowing them to offer twin rooms as opposed to the previous option of booking a twin/double.

Please do feel welcome to contact me directly if you are able to join us in the future so i can afford it my personal attention,
Chris

Travellers are raving about these Yateley hotels

Rugby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed here last Saturday evening. If I have to think of a fault, parts of the interior look just a trifle tired but the rooms are fine, clean and the bed large and comfortable. The restaurant (and service) is second to none. Absolutely wonderful food expertly served by Antonio, a waiter of obvious vast experience and style. We had a wonderful time and would love to go back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear DenrBlott,

Thank you so much for your kind review. Antonio is thrilled to get a mention, he somehow remembers every face so was very touched you remembered him by name.

We are currently undertaking a lot of improvements, including new carpets in public areas, refurbishing the final sets of bathrooms, upgrading our bedroom heating and removing (a 12 month process) the artex from our rooms and corridors in addition to adding some fresh colours.

We would love to have you back, please do feel welcome to contact me directly,
Farnham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

Just had a fantastic night at your party night ,First we were greeted at the door by a fire eater , and upon entering we were served a cocktail .The food was exceptional ,we were all served at the same time, it was good quality , and a good portion , service was second to none . The function room was very nicely decorated , with a lovely very accomadating D.J. playing a mixture of party songs to suit all ages and playing a few games and balloon modelling to get everyone in the mood . The only fault I can find is that the drinks were quite expensive so there was no chance of getting merry on those prices . Over all all 16 of us had a fantastic night and will be coming back for our party night again .

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LouiseFromSurrey
Dear LouiseFromSurrey,

Thank you so much for your kind words following your party night in our Ballroom. We are all thrilled it was such a roaring success. It is always pleasing when our Christmas events go so well and we have been overwhelmed with the positive feedback this year. We hope to see you again next year?

We monitor our local competitors and similar properties when looking at our pricing structure and we are pleased that on the most part, we are cheaper and match those properties with our bar prices. It is something we will continue to monitor to ensure we are competitive on price, whilst striving to be better in quality and service,

Hope we see you again next Christmas (or hopefully before),
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

Very average - the hotel had a bit of a throw back to the 80's feel, decor was worn with evidence of a lack of maintanance or refurbishment throughout. You shouldn't consider a stay here as part of the Marco Pierre White experience, the restuarant setting is not much better that the hotel.

Waiting Staff and Food excellent.

Hotel Staff appear effected and dragged down by the karma of an ageing hotel - Poor

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Morpheustravel
Dear morpheustravel,

Thanks for using the forum for your comments. I am sorry you felt our hotel and restaurant tired and 'vunerable' however i feel you have given our viewers a narrow minded and single view of the hotel, whilst at the same time making comments about the team and 'karma' which are both completely inaccurate and also wholly unhelpful to the discerned traveler.

Of our 63 bedrooms, 20 have been built within the last 6 years, 23 have been refurbished in the last 12 months and the remaining rooms are being refurbished as i type. It is a shame you chose not to pass on your feedback direct to the hotel, we would have happily shown the improvements being made, shown your our new purpose built ballroom. Perhaps we could have discussed your comments on our decking and lawn that was completed 24 months ago. Our bar which is currently being refurbished would also have been a nice place to talk through your comments. Our restaurant was opened just over two years following a full refurbishment.

Your extremely subjective comments have been noted, and i am pleased you found our waiting team excellent, as you did the food - although i note a two star review as your score which seems completely reflective of your personal taste for our decor? I have also noted despite you noting our waiting staff and food being excellent you have not posted a review on the restaurant detailing your high praise for the restaurant itself?

I have passed your review onto the team who shared the bewilderment at your final comment, fortunately they appear to not have been to negatively affected by your comments.

Please do contact myself directly if you are able to come back, i would love to highlight the progress we have made over the last 24 months and to detail the upcoming changes already scheduled,

Regards,
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Casa Hotel and dined at Wheelers restaurant yesterday night for our first wedding anniversary. This was on the Amazon local deal. After reading some of the reviews on here I was sceptical of the type of room, service and food we would be offered. However I found the place, food and staff to be absolutely charming. We had a wonderful nights stay and a romantic 3 course dinner.

I had emailed the hotel a couple of weeks ago to cheekily request a room upgrade and when we checked in to the hotel late yesterday afternoon the friendly and efficient Receptionist confirmed the request would be accomodated. I was over the moon, and thanked her.

We stayed in room 60 which was spacious enough for us, with a lovely comfortable four poster bed. The bathroom was big and clean with both a shower and a bath contained within.

When we went down for pre dinner drinks in the cosy and quaint bar area (seriously gorgeous area with a fab open fireplace which is nice and large) we had 2 hours to kill before our dinner reservation. We ordered cocktails that were delicious, and the barman, offered (unprompted) if we would like to move our reservation forward, which we gladly accepted. We had our cocktails in front of the fire and were promptly given both the a la carte and set menu which was explained to us by a lovely restaurant male matre'd, who called my husband "boss" - which he loved! I only let the restaurant know I was a gluten free eater at the table when we were seated and they were able to accommodate this request easily.

Dinner was the 3 course set menu - which was delicious.

When we went back to our room the only minor issues were that my lamp did not work on my side of the bed and there was only one small bottle of water, not two next to the kettle.

I'm a super light sleeper so the slight hum from the road next to the hotel kept me awake, but my husband fell asleep straight away! I must point out that our room was at the front of the hotel so some noise is to be expected.

Breakfast was also delicious - a buffet. With both hot and cold food and drink.

The staff tow the line between being discreet and helpful at just the right time, which is a skill and I was really impressed.

Excellent 3 star hotel and I highly recommend it.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi lizzieparsons,

Thank you so much for your kind and detailed review. I am glad you had a fantastic anniversary with us, hopefully it will be the first of many. We love our quaint little bar as much as you do, whilst we are still making improvements and changes we are doing so with the utmost care for the current charm and rustic.

I have shared you review with the team so they can take on board both the positive comments, and constructive feedback you gave. I am pleased we are currently looking at a 'green' solution for our bedroom mineral water that will allow us to offer both still and sparkling water.

Hope we can welcome you back soon,
Chris
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yateley
The Ely
Aviator Hotel
Aviator Hotel
#1 of 8 in Farnborough
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,763 reviews

Been to The Casa Hotel? Share your experiences!