“Nice change from the big chains”
Review of The Casa Hotel

The Casa Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Yateley
Yorkshire
“Nice change from the big chains”
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

I go down to Hampshire on business every few months and have started to use this hotel in preference to some of the other ones in the area. It's not the most luxurious or bang up to date but it's not an issue. My colleagues say some of the rooms in the basement are not brilliant but the ones I have had have always been clean, good quality bedding towels and not noticeably in need of repair.
It has a lovely restaurant and evening meals are not cheap but good value for what they are particularly the set menu. Breakfast is equally good.
There is ample parking but overflow car park is round the back which is a bit further than you'd like if it's raining hard.
All in all it's a good hotel for business if you want to avoid the usual big chain monotony.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mr_H_zz
TheCasaManager, Manager at The Casa Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Mr_H_zz,

Thank you for your kind review, i am pleased that we are your preferred choice when staying in Hampshire. We are currently making lots of changes which you may have noticed as we look to make ourselves a bit more cosy, but we are keen to avoid following the steps of the big chains and as a privately owned hotel we are pleased that we can be a bit more personal.

Look forward to seeing you again,
Chris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I booked this hotel for pleasure, which is unusual as it's normally business that takes me to hotels.

The purpose, Christmas with family locally. This time I also took my dog with me as the hotel listed itself as pet friendly.

The staff were pleasant and welcoming which was a good start, from there it was average. The hotel is fairly new, made to look older with artex on the wall to resemble an old wattle and daub building.

The room was a reasonable size with a double bed (English hotels never catch on to the American King or Queen Standard) complete with small flat screen TV and desk of sorts. Only a hard chair accompanied the decor which leaves you perched on the bed, I so hate that!

As ever, the bathroom lets the place down, While large the toilet is jammed against the wall with a broken toilet seat. Mold around the bath and a disgusting black "something" on the outer corner of the shower screen. The basin pedestal wasn't correctly seated leaving you with the impression that it was about to collapse. No shelving to speak of and what there was dated from the 70's.

Free WiFi (not very good) tea and coffee making facilities also provided.

At £65 per night the rates were not unreasonable, the £15 charge for the dog was a joke.

It's OK, but don't get your hopes up too high.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank CISSPUK
Dear CISSPUK,

Thank you for your comments, whilst it would have been great to discuss your thoughts directly i appreciate you taking the time although your review lacks accuracy and the score does not seem reflective of the stay, with most comments you raise being what the hotel describes itself as, being that one of a three star.

I am very pleased you found our staff pleasant, our building originally dates back to the 17th Century so i am surprised that you reference it as a new building. Within our bar, the open fireplace (again built in the 17th Century) is a great feature that shows the age and charm of the building. Whilst all our rooms are different in shape and size the majority have a similar make up featuring two tall backed chairs ( not hard chairs) and our superior rooms offer a separate sitting area and coffee table. We are currently moving into the last phase of our bathroom refurbishment which will have addressed all the bathrooms in the hotel, although i am glad despite the age of the older bathrooms there was ample pressure and hot water.

Regards,
Chris

Travellers are raving about these Yateley hotels

Brize Norton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed here after a recommendation from a friend that it would be a great venue to base ourselves for a wedding at nearby Aviator Hotel. We are glad we did. We paid £105 for one of the superior executive rooms which was fantastic value. The room was excellent, nice and warm and I loved the shower. We shopped around and the casa offered better value than so the so called 'budget' chains which were looking to charge us a lot more. When we called to book directly they described our room to us so we knew what we would get. The journey was smooth with lots of parking and good access, check in was quick and really pleasant - not stuffy at all. I really liked that the staff were not all forced into tight collars, jackets and ties and it made for a refreshing welcome. We found all the staff relaxed and approachable. We had dinner in the hotel the first night which was first class, no surprise the AA have given them a rosette. We were late for dinner so enjoyed the bar afterwards and the service was excellent, the barman was brilliant as were his cocktails. Breakfast was great each day with lovely warm plates from a new plate warmer (would like to be able to order some different items from the kitchen, not just fried eggs) and check out again was friendly and swift. The wedding at the Aviator was great, reception even took care of our taxi there and back. They had there own wedding on which the people we spoke to seemed to love, and the hotel and restaurant seemed very popular. We will be back.

Room Tip: Definitely worth the small upgrade fee.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We visited as part of a Christmas party event, marketed as “a sophisticated classical evening brimming with mystery, glamour and intrigue in dark, sultry surroundings”. We did not stay in the hotel and so can only comment on the food and quality of the function room and bar. As the event brochure named the hotel rather than restaurant I have opted to leave comments on this page.

The evening started well, we were greeted by a fire eater outside the entrance and ushered inside by masked attendees (I should add it was a masquerade ball! Unfortunately although we had been advised masks would be available on the night, there were very few (not enough), despite our arriving early and most people having brought their own). Luckily we came by taxi as would not have been able to park at the venue, which was very busy. Once inside, we were anticipating a “fabulous cocktail” as advertised in the brochure, but were offered nothing and so had to assume that we were supposed to get these ourselves from the bar. Instead I ordered 2 gin and tonics, which were served to me in pint glasses! Not very glamorous and not in keeping with the £11+ charged. They were switched for slightly more appropriate wine glasses on request, with an explanation that they had run out of glasses, less than half an hour into the evening. In fact, the lack of (correct) glasses was a running theme – red wine was later served in champagne flutes etc. The bar manager did at least make the effort to seek us out at our table when he did unearth some wine glasses later.

We had ordered in advance from a set menu, which included 3 courses, but no drinks except for the water on the table and a tea or coffee after, and things improved once the food began to leave the kitchen. It was simple, but well cooked and full of flavour. It was perhaps on the expensive side, all things considered and perhaps not the quality we expected given that Marco Pierre White put his name to it, but enjoyable and well portioned and, undoubtedly part of the price also went towards the evenings entertainment. Sadly, the serving staff did let the side down a little. They were all polite and earnest enough, but clearly inexperienced and often seemingly disorganized. At each course, a good proportion of the table were left waiting for their food whilst the servers aimlessly wandered around the room looking for someone to claim their meal. At one point a teenager came round with a bin liner to clear clutter from the tables, practical perhaps but not what one expects on a supposedly “sophisticated” occasion. I appreciate that many of the servers were teenagers and, most likely, only there for the busy Christmas season and so may not represent the usual quality of staff at the hotel or restaurant. I also consider, though, that if you work to high standards, you should aim to maintain them at all times. Following the meal we were encouraged to serve ourselves tea and coffee from a table near the bar.

Entertainment was laid on during the meal in the form of a young, close up magician and afterwards by a DJ. Our group was fairly diverse in terms of age and taste, but I have to say everyone felt the DJ was a bit below par until later on in the evening when an improvement in his musical tastes (from what I assume was his “Now that’s what I call 90’s reggae!” album to dance floor / Karaoke favourites and a few more modern numbers) coincided merrily with everyone’s declining sobriety.

Overall, we had a wonderful night, due to great company, good food, high spirits and a few Christmas tipples (purchased separately from the bar of course) and so left happy. I might return to try the proper restaurant as the food was certainly enjoyable and we were well treated. That said, I probably wouldn't organise a group going to a similar event / party night here though as the standard of service fell short of what we expected given the way the venue and this event in particular were marketed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Little B
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

I booked the casa hotel through amazon local deals for 2 nights for my partners birthday. I was a little apprenhensive after reading some of the reviews but it wasn't bad at all.
We checked in without any problems and we were give free wifi vouchers (which unfortunately didnt work so couldnt connect to the wifi on the tab or phones).
Room was number 45, spacious, huge bed which was very comfortable and most importantly it was clean! There was a little room for improvement we have stayed in better, wall had a a big crack that looked shabby, the hairdryers are from the 80's I think! The bathroom was nice but the shower was always way too hot to stand under, room could get very warm but the radiator had a control to turn it down. Also I think alot of the rooms are over the bar and kitchens as we could hear lots of banging and then bottles being thrown into the bins outside our room wasn't too much of a problem for us but we heard alot of people complaining at breakfast.
We ate in the wheelers marco pierre white restaurant and the food was beautiful and the staff in the restaurant were very attentive, friendly and professional! Breakfast in the restaurant was also at a very good standard.
We had a pleasant stay and if I was in the area I would definately return.

• Stayed December 2013
Hi Katie-Aaron,

Thank you taking the time to pass on your comments following your stay with us.
I am thrilled you enjoyed your time with us, and i am sorry you had problems with the Wi-Fi. We are moving our Wi-Fi service to a new supplier from the 1st of March and this should guarantee and much improved connection without the need for vouchers and a faster connection speed.

I hope that the noise from our kitchen did not disturb you to much? We have already taken steps to further soundproof these rooms, and have relocated our bottle and waste recycling areas further from bedrooms. We have also implemented standards to ensure certain activities are not carried out during the late or early hours of the day. We have also recently installed a new shower unit in bedroom 45 as a result of guest feedback.

I am glad you enjoyed your meal in the restaurant, i am sure the team would be thrilled to see a review on the Wheelers Yateley tripadvisor page?

Hope we can welcome you back again soon,
Faithfully,
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Booked a twin room online, but when I rang the day before staying, they told me there wasn't one available and hadn't been one available since last Feb. I had booked online a month previous, but no-one had contacted me to let me know the room wasn't available. I was told I would have to pay extra for an executive twin room...the reservations manager was unhelpful, and told me that I shouldn't book through Booking.com, as I would get a better deal by phoning direct, and more likely to get the right room! I complained about his lack of helpfulness and the miss-selling, but he never once offered to upgrade us for the same price we paid for a standard room, which he could have done because of the obvious error on their side.

We got there and were eventually offered a 'cancellation' standard room - (bit suspicious, suddenly finding a standard twin, after I complained) but it ended up being a complete nightmare, as it was directly above the bar, (room 4) and they had a rowdy Christmas party which went on until 4.00am in the morning when the police arrived because one reveller was being abusive. We didn't sleep for more than an hour that night, you could hear every word the drinkers were saying, and outside the window in the car park they were swearing and swigging champagne, which we saw evidence of in the morning. Whilst we had breakfast we could see outside the window, empty bottles were scattered. No-one had cleared up....

We couldn't wait to leave, it was a complete disaster, The receptionist in the morning was sympathetic, that was the only positive point.

Room Tip: Ring to book, don't go online, and ask for a room at the back!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Trunkie
Dear Trunkie,

Thanks for passing on your feedback following your stay with us. I am sorry that you were disappointed on arrival, although i find it unfair to label my Front of House Manager 'unhelpful' even after he has clearly shown you that the details we received from booking.com details a double/twin as at that time, it was not possible to book a twin room with booking.com. Furthermore there was no actual error or mis-selling on our part, and my team are completely correct that if you are able to book direct we could guarantee a twin room at the rate and standard requested, furthermore we have a 'Best Available Rate' Guarantee to which we will offer a further 10% discount should you find the rate cheaper elsewhere. I am pleased that we have recently invested in a new interface so that booking.com can access our inventory, allowing them to offer twin rooms as opposed to the previous option of booking a twin/double.

Please do feel welcome to contact me directly if you are able to join us in the future so i can afford it my personal attention,
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed here last Saturday evening. If I have to think of a fault, parts of the interior look just a trifle tired but the rooms are fine, clean and the bed large and comfortable. The restaurant (and service) is second to none. Absolutely wonderful food expertly served by Antonio, a waiter of obvious vast experience and style. We had a wonderful time and would love to go back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear DenrBlott,

Thank you so much for your kind review. Antonio is thrilled to get a mention, he somehow remembers every face so was very touched you remembered him by name.

We are currently undertaking a lot of improvements, including new carpets in public areas, refurbishing the final sets of bathrooms, upgrading our bedroom heating and removing (a 12 month process) the artex from our rooms and corridors in addition to adding some fresh colours.

We would love to have you back, please do feel welcome to contact me directly,
Chris
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yateley
The Ely
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Travelodge Camberley
Travelodge Camberley
#4 of 7 in Camberley

Been to The Casa Hotel? Share your experiences!