“Not (quite) as smart as they assume”
Review of The Casa Hotel

The Casa Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Yateley
Gillingham, England, United Kingdom
“Not (quite) as smart as they assume”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed at The Casa Hotel in February with other family members for my daughters' wedding locally. Initial impressions of the property and location were favourable, though the Reception welcome was unfriendly, if efficient. We were surprised that our room was in an area of the hotel that was plainly being re-furbished, one bedroom at a time, with a strong paint smell and evidence of the contractors in the corridor etc. But my daughter found herself in a room directly next to the one currently being decorated, which was not acceptable. Reception agreed to 'upgrade' her to a more modern room in another part of the hotel at minimal cost - thank you - and her special day wasn't compromised. This is a management issue - no problem with the rooms being re-furbished, just don't place guests in that area when there were plenty of rooms available in other parts of the hotel.

The hotel's restaurant is a Marco Pierre White franchise - there was a reasonable choice and the ambience was fine. Food wasn't remarkable, but the service was good and just about justified the rather pricy tariff. The bar staff were good and happy to serve us late into the night, which helped us make the most of getting various family strands together for the occasion.

Check out was frosty! No 'was everything satisfactory' or 'we hope to see you again' - the lady on duty was really disinterested - perhaps they are too used to being the local and recommended hotel for the Rivervale Barn wedding venue nearby (which was brilliant...) and take the wedding party bookings as read?

All in all a bit disappointing, as a little more care from the management and staff is expected at this premium price.

Room Tip: Ask if your allocated room is near to any re-furbishment...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank peteratsylvan
TheCasaManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Casa Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Peteratsylvan

I can only apologise for the experience you had.
We are always naturally disappointed to hear that someone has not had a fantastic time with us.
I am please to mention here that we are undergoing a management take over in the next couple of weeks and there are substantial development plans in place under the new incoming General Manager for all areas.

Guest relations.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Whilst staying at this hotel for a wedding nearby I was quite disappointed with our room and the breakfast. The room was very basic with a really naff picture of a flower to try and brighten the place up !
The toilet when flushed took about an hour to fill up with water and was quite noisy in the process.
The hotel advertises 24 hour room service but calling at midnight they could only offer peanuts as there was no one else to cover the one receptionist.
The breakfast was very poor, typical cheap hotel food and considering that this hotel has Marco Pierre whites name to it you would imagine it would be half decent.
I would not advise anyone to stay here for £85 per night. You would be better off spending £50 at a travel lodge instead.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Neil R
Dear NeilR

Guest relations.

Travellers are raving about these Yateley hotels

Barton on Sea
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed for 2nights to attend a wedding at Rivervale Barn, which is nearby and fantastic! Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the Casa. We originally booked a deal that was a standard room but decided 2 nights in a fairly shabby small room with a 4ft 6ins bed was not good enough so were offered an upgrade to an Executive room for £20 per night. This room had a decent bed and more space, although they don't expect you to stay long judging by the storage space. The bigger room was above the conference room and newer but still in need of some TLC. For example the bath/shower had very complicated mixer/controls and a glass door but no seal at the bottom so 1shower and the floor was flooded, we saw the room attendant to ask for an extra bath mat to stem the flow. Other guests reported problems with lights and noisy fuse boxes in their rooms. There were tea making facilities and free Wi-Fi.
Breakfast was pretty good apart from rubbish Orange Juice. Dinner was quite good, food quality generally good although Scallops tasteless. Trying to get water was quite a challenge more then once till eventually were actually left a litre!
Not the sort of place I would be proud to call mine Marco, more like faulty towers!

Room Tip: Standard rooms are smallish and some have 4ft 6ins double, some have twin. Newer rooms near conferen...
3 Thank mjderrick
Dear Mjderrick

United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Helpful and cheerful staff.
The hotel is a bit of a Rabbit warren, which some may think is quaint, but when carrying bags it is a pain and a long trek. Heaven forbid if you are elderly and or infirm.
Sound proofing is none existent .....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The food is, as one would imagine, excellent and beautifully presented.

Room Tip: Don't book
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank JohnTPW
Dear John

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

So I was at the Casa for a wedding this weekend, I was given a quote which they e mailed to me months before staying for £89.50. When I tried to check out the next day not only did they try and charge me over £120 there was also stuff charged to my room whichever as not my signature. The room I was in was not in anyway worth £89.50 let alone £120. Further to this the staff where rude apart from the first receptionist when I checked in. Apparently according to the events manager I shouted at the receptionist whilst checking out, this did not happen and I have witnesses to attest this.

They state they have 24hr room service but my friends where told it was not available when trying to order and another couple where told they could have a chip sandwich but not just chips on their own again the staff was rude to them.

I then received an e mail stating that the pillows had gone missing from my room but it seems they have been found as money has now been refunded to my account.

This hotel is really bad and I have stayed in a lot of hotels the website makes it out to be so luxurious yet when you get there you can see it is well in need of a bit of talc and the staff need to go on some customer care courses.

I advise all not to stay here and I am very surprised Marco Pierre White would put his name to it.

Room Tip: I really cannot advise anyone to stay here at all
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Christctc d

Warlingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Just came back from a 2 night stay at La Casa through Living Social deal. Our room needed some refurbishment, there was no information about the hotel in the room, no towel rail or hooks anywhere in bathroom and light switch for bathroom was in the wrong place behind the door in the hallway. The best part of our stay was the food in Wheeler's Restaurant. Dinner on both nights was lovely and the staff were very attentive and did a great job. The only slight disappointment was with a couple of the desserts, the bread and butter pudding should have had a crispy top and the sticky toffee pudding didn't have much flavour, ie bland sponge with butterscotch sauce instead of toffee, but apart from these fairly minor details there was nothing to complain about. Also, at breakfast, there was plenty of variety and the full English breakfast was very nice.........If the hotel was refurbished to a higher standard, this would be a perfect place to stay.

1 Thank Diana C
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Having read so many negative reviews we were not expecting such a superb stay. We booked three superior rooms on a 2 night dinner bed and breakfast offer which also offered a bottle of champagne for each room(bargain at £179 per couple!) All the staff were friendly and helpful, especially the bar and restaurant staff. Food was super, dinner from the "normal" daily menu had plenty of choice and well cooked and presented. Wine list had plenty of selection although a little pricey - as were bar drinks.
We had rooms 50, 51 & 52 - all perfectly clean, tea/coffee facilities and bottle of water, great bathroom with plenty of towels. Only one negative point was that the mattress in room 51 sagged in middle!
An excellent value weekend .

1 Thank WORLDWISEbromsgrove
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yateley
The Ely
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Aviator Hotel
Aviator Hotel
#1 of 7 in Farnborough

Been to The Casa Hotel? Share your experiences!