“Great location, shame about the hotel.”
Review of The Casa Hotel

The Casa Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Yateley
Reviewed 22 June 2009

We arrived on Saturday afternoon and there wa a wedding happening. No problem. Went to find our rooms, travelling with my elderly Mother, and found lots and lots of stairs, some with no hand rails so accessing her room was difficult for Mum. Our room was down many stairs, thank fully we had light luggage, and was off a square area that looked like a prison because all the rooms opened outwards. The room was below ground and we had a very good view of the grass bank that supported the car park. No attantion has been given to detail, i.e. heavy thick douvets in June? The room was dated and sad. Main problem was breakfast on the Sunday. After 20 minutes of being ignored, I asked a waitress if she would serve us, this she did, but our breakfast took a further 30 minutes to arrive. There was no management in the restaurant and it was disorganised chaos. A number of people were complaining including the Bride and Groom from the previous day. When my husband went to reception to complain the receptionist was totaly disinterrested and just said 'we had a wedding there are lots of people, you will have to wait'. I tried to complain when I paid the bill, but the same receptionist just ignored me and as I was speaking she turned her back on me and started to speak to another customer. When I asked her why she was trying to 'shut me up by ignoring me' she just smiled and continued to ignore me. Question, was she untrained in how to deal with complaints and therefore decided to ignore me as she didn't know how to handle the situation, or is the hotel really so perfect that they don't accept complaints.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lynne2111
There are newer reviews for The Casa Hotel

Reviewed 10 November 2008

I stayed here for one night, this weekend, with three friends, and we all agree it was a wonderful experience. We have all stayed in good and not so good hotels in our time (all of us, other than one, are over 60), and this ranks as one of the better ones. You never know what to expect after reading reviews so we took the chance and are so glad we did. Did the previous reviewers actually stay in the same hotel as us? We were met by a young lady who was very polite and helpful. She told us the directions to our room but actually took my colleagues to theirs as it was a little out of the way. On reaching our room, (the corridors were spotless) we were pleasantly surprised. Perfectly adequately furnished, and the beds were very comfortable. We ate in the restaurant the same evening and were very impressed by the food and the service. Nothing was too much trouble and most of the tables were occupied and not all of them were staying at the hotel. The breakfast was excellent, there was a choice of everything any person could possibly want. I would happily stay again and recommend this hotel to friends. Lovely setting too.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2008

This hotel breaks my golden rule of never sleep in a restaurant and never eat in a hotel. I don't think that the Casa really knows what it is. The restaurant is excellent but the bedrooms are distinctly average. This was my first stay at the Casa since the new extension was built and I got a clean, modern room. It was way too small however, had an uncomfortable single bed (which I detest) and was unbearably hot with no obvious way to cool the room down. The bathroom was good though as was the flatscreen TV.

In contrast with the excellent evening meal, the breakfast was distinctly average with overcooked eggs and cold toast.

No complaints about the staff, who are generally polite and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank MikeyTheBikey
Reviewed 8 September 2006

We read other reviews and booked this hotel principally for the restaurant. We were disappointed by both.

On check-in the woman on the desk handed me the key and said "Room 16", with no help as to how to get there.

The room was quite small and basic, with just enough space to get round the bed. The bed was uncomfortable. The bin in the bathroom still had used cotton buds from the previous occupants.

The restaurant was nothing special (we are vegetarian and usually prefer Italian for the choice of vegetarian dishes). The 20 minute wait for our order to be taken at the table was not a good start, especially since we were given the menu in the bar 15 minutes before we went into the restaurant.
The food was below average, especially the Melanzane Parmigiana and presentation was poor. Service was so slow we had to order another bottle of wine to get through the main course.

On retiring to the bar after dinner (4 hours for a three course meal) there were no staff to be found. Finally, we were told that they didn't do cocktails (despite the cocktail shakers behind the bar), so we went to bed.

Only the continental breakfast is available through room service, for an extra charge, and even then we should have ordered before 10 pm.

We won't be going back and would not recommend the place.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank brian0
Reviewed 22 July 2006

All I can say is don't expect excellent service and superb food to be cheap !!!! it is in fact a very reasonable bill considering this is actually a silver service establishment. i have been to the hotel on numerous occasions and will continue to do so. I have travelled the world over the last twenty years and have pretty high standards. It is lovely to find such quality and excellence on my doorstep.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Bridgettejones
Reviewed 11 April 2006

We selected this hotel as it is local and we had to vacate our house for a night. All we were looking for was good meal and a comfortable room to retire to and watch TV later - as we would at home. In general it fitted the bill.
My husband had spent most of the week in a 5* hotel in London and was very critical as a result. Not fair. At £70 a night, this represents excellent value for money and the good (inclusive) Full English breakfast was graciously and speedily served. The room was a good size and the bathroom capacious - with a bidet (unusual for England). On arrival we discovered the flat screen TV was faulty, but it was fixed later. The room exuded a familiar but unidentifiable smell: damp, wood smoke, mould? But we got used to it. The twin beds were, I must admit, rather uncomfortable. Ask for a quiet room if that is important to you - ours wasn't, and we particularly didn't like being woken by staff playing the radio while preparing the dining room for breakfast.
The restaurant (well known in the area) was traditional Italian, unadulterated by Ramseyisms and caught in the aspic of 1970s. The food was good, and well served by professional waiters, one of whom introduced me to a sweet red Valpolicella to accompany my almond dessert. However, at £100 for two (with wine), it was expensive and not - I think - value for money.
All in all, the Casa has charm but is not without faults.

• Stayed: April 2006
3  Thank Mugeditor
Reviewed 6 November 2005

Quiet location with clean rooms that are comfortably furnished. Friendly, honest staff (the desk clerk reviewed my bill before presenting it to me and spotted a mistake, which she immediately corrected). The public rooms and restaurant have some charming traditional English decor elements (heavy beams, brick fireplaces, etc.) I couldn't for the life of me figure out why this place has an Italian theme--Roman busts, watercolors of Florence and Venice. It's not what I'm looking for when visiting the UK. In fact, I tried for reservations at several other locations before I settled on Casa dei Cesari, simply because I was looking for some traditional atmosphere. The restaurant is almost exclusively Italian dishes, vastly preferable to traditional English "cuisine." The food is OK, but could be better. I suspect this is because they attempt to offer too much variety on the menu. A few really well executed dishes would be much preferable.

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled on business
1  Thank bertocolliemom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yateley
The Ely
#1 of 7 in Farnborough
Dial House Hotel
Dial House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crowthorne

Been to The Casa Hotel? Share your experiences!