“Easter Break...”
Review of The Ely

The Ely
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Yateley
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We stayed here for the Easter break for 2 nights..

We loved the location of the hotel, it's not to far off of the motorway but it still felt like we were tucked away.

As we arrived to check in at 2pm we were told our room wasn't going to be ready till half past which we were fine with. We weren't blown away by the receptionists attitude upon entering but soon worked out the morning receptionist on shift over the 2 days was completely different to the afternoon/late shift lady. She was lovely, always smiling, very chatty and we felt very at ease with her. The morning receptionist however was cold and very stern, she was short and sometimes came across rude. I asked her on our second day to book a table for us for dinner, she hushed me away and said she would deal with it but it was never done, we went over to the pub at 6 and I was starving, having to wait till half 7 then being told I could of gone in at any time annoyed me even more!

The pub - has a lovely relaxed vibe and it always seemed busy so that was a good sign for us, all staff in the pub were fantastic, very attentive, were chatty and welcoming. There was a particular woman of which we didn't catch her name who was brilliant, she was very happy, always smiling and went out of her way to make sure we enjoyed our dinner/breakfast.

The food - was absolutely amazing, we could not have been happier.
We enjoyed mixed grill, burgers, a sharing starter, fudge brownies and more and we could not fault any of it.
The breakfast is also very good, lots of choice and the cooked breakfast was very tasty.
I would even go as far as to say as it was by far some of the best food I have ever tasted in a pub.

The room - was comfortable, clean and tidy.
For the price we paid it was acceptable and done us for what we wanted.
The bathroom could of done with a good old scrub & limescale, upgrade perhaps.

We visited Blackbushe market whilst we were there, which is on a Sunday and we loved that too, plenty to look at and it's literall 2-3 minutes up the road.

Overall we loved The Ely, the staff are an absolute credit to the pub. I would love to go back and I think we will return when we can.
Would recommend to anyone.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank liamcregan
OldEnglishInns, Manager at The Ely, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Thankyou very much for your comments and we hope to see you again soon. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Reagrds Luke Jones, General manager

Reviewed 2 April 2013

I recently visited the Ely for some food with some of my friends. The waiter was very considerate of my friend who had his leg in plaster. He held the door open for him and helped to guide him to his seat! They then made the effort to make sure the table was suitable for him! Someone from the management also came out to make sure we were okay with the table we were sat at.
We were immediately offered drinks and handed a menu, which had a great variety of meals and snacks on there!
The food was lovely, served quickly and most importantly- nice and hot!
Most of us ended up staying the night in the hotel just place behind the hotel as we'd had a few to drink with the meal.
The manager on duty managed to get us all suitable rooms. The rooms were well equipped and well heated.
Overall, our experience was great!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank CharlieD281

Reviewed 2 April 2013

Upon arriving at the hotel after travelling through some horrendous weather, I eagerly checked in and went to the adjacent restaurant for some much-needed food. The restaurant was pleasant enough, typical Brewers Fayre style pub-grub on offer, nothing startling. Upon returning to my room I found that the heating (and by this I mean a single wall-mounted electric convector heater) was not working. I contacted reception and after much deliberation by the member of staff (duty manager?) I was provided with a 2-bar electric heater that would not have looked out of place in a museum! Whilst waiting for the room to reach a suitable temperature I proceeded to unpack and it was here that I found the general cleanliness of the room to be somewhat lacking. There were substantial accumulations of dust on all upper surfaces, the toilet and sink were equally dirty and the carpet appeared to have had only the lightest of hooverings in the past few days. Accepting that it was late at night and perhaps the room had been prepared the previous day, I turned in for the night. My sleep was comfortable with no discernible noise from elsewhere.

Breakfast was another typical experience. Adequate selection of cereals and a varied cooked breakfast menu. Again nothing starting. Leaving for the day's business I hoped that the problems encountered the night before would be rectified by my return that evening.

Returning, I found that the heating had not been repaired and I was again going to have to make use of the antique fire, the housekeepers had been and removed the used towels and made the bed but had failed to clean down the top surfaces.

All-in-all, a disappointing stay. The room was of adequate size and the hotel facilities were acceptable but the faults with the heating and the cleanliness were serious detractors for me. I chose the hotel based on its proximity to where my business meeting was to take place and the reasonable cost but I'm glad it was the company picking up the bill and not out of my own pocket.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
OldEnglishInns, Manager at The Ely, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2013

Thankyou for your comments, I am very sorry about the electric heater you were provided with, at 2am in the morning, this is all we had.

We have now disposed of this. Please feel free to ring me on 01252 860444, and I will be more than happy to discuss the issues raised in more depth. Regards, Luke Jones, General Manager

Reviewed 1 April 2013

From the very beginning when we drove thru the car park we were impressed by the hotel facade and lay out..........Bar and restaurant and tented reception / function area at rear. The hotel rooms are set behind the pub and restaurant and we were not disturbed by noise from the pub or patrons arriving or leaving in their vehicles. The food was extremely good, we thoroughly enjoying our dinner / breakfast and the service was excellent. All of the staff were attentive and very courteous through out the evening / morning to all diners. We will definitely be back again in the future and highly recommend to others..........

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jennifercbl65
Reviewed 24 March 2013

If I was reviewing this at 2.30am on the morning of staying here it would have been a 1 star having been unable to sleep after waking for the third time by other guests returning. We had the family room above the entrance. Avoid room 19 if noise wakes you. Also door onto landing where guests talk and talk. Ought to give out ear plugs or invest in soundproofing/ better double glazing. Busy road also loud. However room was otherwise fine, decent ensuite and biscuits and redeemed themselves with wonderful breakfast and friendly staff. Lovely interior for restaurant breakfast.

Room Tip: Avoid room 19/ family room if you wake up due to noise.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We eat regularly at The Ely so it was our first choice for Mothering Sunday lunch and we weren't disappointed. We were a party of 9 and when we booked were advised we'd be in their marquee. This was no problem as we got a nice round table and it didn't feel as crowded. We were warmly greeted on our arrival and shown to our table, where drinks were ordered and we were shown the menu. Half our party chose carvery (a great selection of meats, perfect yorkies and lovely crisp potatoes) and the rest ate off the reduced main menu. The sirloin steaks were cooked to perfection. We didn't feel rushed, all the staff were friendly and helpful (and smiling!). We then had puddings, I can absolutely recommend the Jamaican Ginger cheesecake. Wow! Thanks to all at The Ely for another wonderful lunch, we'll be back soon.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank IJLB
OldEnglishInns, Manager at The Ely, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

We are really glad you enjoyed your visit here and that we made your mothers day, one to remember. Hope to see you again soon. Kindest regards. L. Jones.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

My husband and I visited The Ely for a long weekend. We were met with a very friendly receptionist and we were made to feel very welcome. Our rooms were adequate and met all of our needs, the beds were extremely comfortable. Our breakfasts were great and I was impressed with the choice, I had salmon and scrambled eggs, something I wouldn't normally have every day at home, this was a lovely change. The waitress was friendly, helpful and she was very attentive. She made time to talk to us even though she was very busy.
Up until Monday lunch we couldn't fault our stay. We were eating our fantastic haddock and chips, I am a partially deaf lady and I could hear loud shouting with foul language coming from behind the bar. When the shouting subsided a man appeared on the the bar looking quite unhappy. I went up to ask if he was OK as he seemed a little shaken up. He told me that it was his boss who had shouted at him. I did not come here to hear this and I was disgusted that anyone would be talked to in such a way. I have never been anywhere where the staff are talked to in such an obscene manner. We couldn't enjoy our meal after this experience and didn't stay for a dessert or coffee as we were planning on doing. This put dampener on our stay, I would say our breakfast was the best part of our visit.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Dix1945
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yateley
The Casa Hotel
Aviator Hotel
Aviator Hotel
#1 of 7 in Farnborough
Premier Inn Camberley Hotel

Been to The Ely? Share your experiences!