“Delicious Breakfast!”
Review of Clayhill House

Clayhill House
Ranked #9 of 22 Lyndhurst B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed just for one night while visiting someone close by. The room, amenities and service were all of a good standard and it was very clean. My room was at the front of the house though facing the road which was very noisy throughout the night. Although Lyndhurst is a quiet town the main road has a lot of lorries passing through 24 hours a day. If you're a light sleeper and need a good kip, I'd ask to be put in a room at the back if possible. However, in the morning I was treated to a delicious breakfast which made me forget my poor night's sleep. I'd definitely go back, just ask for a different room next time.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 13 August 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here so that we could go to the New Forest Show. The owners are very friendly. The room we had (at the back of the building) was very large, clean and overlooked the garden, which had chickens. The cooked breakfast was delicious. The building is close to the road, which means that the rooms at the front could be a bit noisy. Our room was at the back, so noise was not a problem for us.

Room Tip: The room at the back.
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Stayed here for 1 night with my husband before attending a wedding in Lymington the following day.
There had been a major accident on the road leading to the B&B so the owner offered to come and collect us from the Train Station!!! How's that for service!?
Our double room was delightful, with a huge comfy bed, seating area and dressing table. The bathroom (shower, toilet and sink) was small but immaculate and the towels provided were pristine and soft. Talking of things being provided, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, tea, coffee, horlicks, hot chocolate, small chocolate bars, boiled sweets and bottled water all laid on.
The full english breakfast was delicious and the New Forest Jams and Marmalade were scrumptious.
After breakfast we made the mistake of going back to bed for a quick nap - only to sleep through until 11am when we should have been checked out by 10.30am! Ooops! The owner and cleaner were very understanding so we left a tip and donation to their charity by way of an apology and a thank you for picking us up!
We wouldn't hesitate to stay again the next time we're visiting Lyndhurst.

Room Tip: Our double room was number 2.
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Stayed at Clayhill House for a one night stay prior to a cruise. Lovely warm welcome and very comfortable room with hospitality tray and toiletries provided. Good selection of food for breakfast. The reason I marked the location down was because the house is on a busy main road and during the present heatwave it was difficult to have the windows open. However there was a fan in the room, which helped. Obviously little road noise with the windows closed!! Only a short drive into the beautiful New Forest. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

My parents and I couldn't have been happier with our stay here. The room was large, very well furnished, comfortable and relaxing to be in.
Our room was a family room. We really appreciated the couch which was around the corner of the room, making it feel like a separate room. There was a lovely and inviting guest lounge downstairs, with books and a fire (not real, but the effect was nice!)
The views were lovely and our room was very relaxing.

The owner was very friendly and helped us find the best pub in town for dinner.

Breakfast was wonderful! All eggs were fresh from the chickens that were kept in the back yard. We were offered a variety of breakfast options that were all cooked to a very high standard.

Our stay was so wonderful, we quite frankly did not want to leave!!!

Room Tip: If I could put 6/5 for rooms I would!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I recently spent a wonderful few days staying at Clayhill House in the New Forest. The room was spotless and the bed was incredibly comfortable. The provisions in the room were above expectation. The breakfasts were delicious, I would definitely advise choosing the poached eggs as they were the best I have had. The family that run the place were very warm and friendly offering advice on where to go locally. I could not recommend this place highly enough.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 March 2013

We visited this B&B as a couple for an overnight stay, thankfully no longer, on arrival we were greeted by the son who took us to our room, my first impression was that the stair carpet was not wide enough for the stairs.

Our room was of a good size with a seating area equipped with two armchairs, coffee table, flat screen TV etc. very comfortable apart from the dead spider on one of the chair seats and crisps? down the side of the cushion.

The hospitality tray was again of a high standard with a varied selection of hot drinks, and there were biscuits, chocolate bars and sweets.

The downfall occurred in the en-suite. The first thing that was noticed was the white wash basin with a pink WC and shower base. There are three wall tiles missing from the side of the basin so the wall had been painted. Further inspection revealed black mould in so many places such as the bi-fold shower door, around the inside of the shower tray, outside the shower tray, various places on the tile grouting and behind the basin tap. As there were no windows an extractor fan was fitted in this room, which month this was dusted is debatable as the dust was thick.

The following morning we were greeted by the smell of cooking as soon as we started down the stairs, we ordered the English breakfast and were disappointed to find both the sausage and bacon were only warm, not hot.

All in all this is a lovely B&B in the beautiful New Forest, it is furnished to a high standard, but the basic cleanliness let it down very badly, and I did not expect to see the owner un-shaven in the afternoon.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
The Crown Manor House Hotel
#3 of 8 in Lyndhurst
Woodlands Lodge Hotel
Woodlands Lodge Hotel
#2 of 2 in Woodlands

Been to Clayhill House? Share your experiences!