“Even better the second time”
Review of Lime Wood Hotel

Lime Wood Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Lyndhurst
Reviewed 9 April 2012

You know you're onto a winner when you recognise ALL the staff. If the devil is in the detail then welcome to Heaven. Still the best place I've stayed in anywhere.Go, enjoy and then tell everyone you know, they'll thank you. WiFi and phone signal is not great, but this does mean you get to switch off.

Room Tip: Crescent 3 if you want to Party!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Justinlimewood, Hotel Director at Lime Wood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2012

Thank you very much for your review of Lime Wood.

I am so pleased that you have chosen to return to us again!

A high percentage of our team have been here from the beginning, and I consider them one of Lime Wood’s many great assets!

We look forward to welcoming back in the future.

Justin Pinchbeck.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,354)

Reviewed 8 April 2012

This hotel is amazing.. The rooms are lovely, they are decorated very tastefully, are spacious and the bathrooms are also spacious with amazing showers and the bed was sooo comfortable.. The walking maps in a neck wallet you can take with you were a nice touch and you can borrow wellies if you dont have any they have thought of everything! Everywhere is spotless and the service is great. The spa was lovely and the tri dosha facial was heaven. The only let down was the food in the scullery :-( it was dissapointing to say the least.. This is what prevents it from being 5 star.. I don't know why when so many people have complained about the food they haven't done anything about it..? Especially when they charge the prices they do. Apart from that you cannot complain about anything, I would love to go back.. I just wouldnt eat in the restaurant again!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Anonymous200
Justinlimewood, Hotel Director at Lime Wood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Lime Wood.

Although overall you enjoyed many of the aspects of your stay here, I was very saddened to read about the substandard quality of food you received.
I would like to personally assure you that all feedback we have; be it good or not so, is acted upon to ensure that every guests experience is of the highest standard. Providing the very best food consistently is of our upmost importance. It is of course integral to our operation.

We are constantly striving to improve and build upon Lime Wood’s offerings and although we are only 2 years old Lime Wood has come a long way and is now, I consider; a market leader rather than a follower.

I appreciate your comments and will discuss will all my Food & Beverage team what changes to make so that we do not have a reoccurrence.

I hope this experience hasn’t tainted your view of Lime Wood and we would love to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

We went to Lime wood hotel and what a lovely time we had.
When we arrived the reception staff were really helpful and set the ambiance for a lovely lunch. We were shown into the bar, where we had a pre dinner drink.The selection and quality from the bar is mind blowing!
When our table was ready we were shown into the "Scullery" which had a lovely relaxing homely feel to it, with a log fire burning at the far end.
Our waitress, "Honour" was excellent. Very professional and attentive. Nothing was any trouble for her and she thought of everything to make us as comfortable as possible. The menu was very seasonal and sourced locally and looked very inviting. I was thoroughly looking forward to this "Food Extravaganzer. I was not to be disappointed, it looked exquisite, and tasted sublime. I have never eaten such good food as this. Each course was served and presented to the highest standard imaginable.
After lunch we moved outside for after dinner coffee. This was very relaxing in the pleasant grounds that surrounds the hotel.
Overall this was lovely experience and we were made to feel special, we look forward to our return in the near future.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Many thanks for your wonderful review of Lime Wood.

I am thoroughly delighted that your visit here was so sublime and that what we have to offer in terms of product and service was delivered seamlessly. I will pass on your thanks to Honour, who I know will be very grateful of the recognition.

Lime Wood has a wonderfully relaxed energy about it, I am so pleased that you also enjoyed our local sourced produce menu. Don’t forget as the seasons change so does the menu....please do come back soon to try some more!

We shall look forward to welcoming back in the very near future.

Justin Pinchbeck

Reviewed 8 April 2012

This hotel is fantastic, the decor is beautiful and the rooms are of a very high standard. We had a double ended bath and an amazing shower! We only stayed for one night but would have loved to stay longer. The spa is better than most I've visited and I had the most relaxing facial. The location is beautiful and great if you fancy a nice walk in the New Forest. The only reason I haven't given this full marks is because of the restaurant. We ate at the Scullery and whilst the breakfast was good the dinner was a disappointment! Not what you expect from a five star and the dessert was inedible but not cheap. Beware everything here is expensive!

• Stayed: February 2012
Justinlimewood, Hotel Director at Lime Wood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Thank you for your review of Lime Wood

I was pleased to read that most aspects of your stay you enjoyed at our forest hideaway including our extensive facilities and beautiful surroundings.

However I was shocked at the under par experience you had in The Scullery. Food is a huge part of what we do here, cooking with the seasons and offering up what The New Forest has to offer. For this inadequacy you received I must apologise. I will pass your comments directly to Luke Holder, our Head Chef, in order to ascertain what wrong and how we can improve on our product to ensure this doesn’t happen again.

I do hope you return to Lime Wood in the near future.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

We've stayed at Limewood two or three times now and have always had a great experience.

We've stayed in the main house and the coach house which was absolutely lovely! The staff always seem to go out of there way to help you, they were even kind enough to bring my birthday presents up to the room with breakfast upon the request of my husband :-)

Food and drinks are a little pricey but no worse than any other nice hotel.

The Spa is gorgeous, maybe not as cosy as others we have been to but still very well run and the changing rooms are fantastic! I think the fact that you have to go outside to get to the spa takes away the whole 'warm' feeling you get with other spa's that are located inside the hotel... especially when it's raining or snowing as was the case when we stayed! Can't be helped though and we knew this before staying.

We will def be visiting again :-)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your review of Lime Wood.

It is always very pleasing to hear of guests returning time and again!
I am glad you liked the Chocolate Limes and birthday presents delivered to your room, it is sometimes the little touches that go the longest way.

Moreover, I am thrilled that your stay here for that special occasional was wonderful, and we cannot wait to welcome yourselves back here soon!

Reviewed 2 April 2012

My wife treated me to two nights at Lime Wood and it didn't quite click with me. There are some great aspects to it: the romantic New Forest location, the grounds and outdoor seating areas, the spa and the view from the spa out into a beechwood forest are excellent. Despite being obviously new, the design of the extension to the old part of the house and the out-buildings are attractive. Our room was very comfortable and the water pressure in the shower was great. Most of the staff are good and some are excellent but, for the money, I didn't think the ratio of junior to experienced staff was as it should be. Relais and Chateaux usually add ingredients to a hotel that give a stay a special something, a special finesse but unfortunately Lime Wood just fell a little short.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mattonholiday

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at Lime Wood.

I am glad you found all the facilities we have to offer to your liking.

I am disappointed to hear that your stay didn’t quite meet your expectations however. In a continuous effort to provide a unique top level service all our team are trained regularly both internally and externally, and I am sorry that on this occasion that did not transpire. I believe that our staff really do bring Lime Wood to life.

I would hope that you will return once again so we all can restore your faith in us.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

We stayed at the Lime Wood for four nights and it was a truly wonderful experience. We had previously visited the hotel last year for dinner and was so impressed we returned the next day for afternoon tea both were scrumptious so we were determined to stay here on our next visit to the New Forest. This time we returned with our 1 year old daughter. We were all made to feel extremely welcome and the staff couldn't have been anymore polite or helpful throughout our entire stay.
Our room was in the Coach House and was beautifully decorated and immaculate. The only downside was that although we had been upgraded our room was up a small flight of stairs which with an inquisitive toddler could prove problematic without a stair gate provided but luckily the improvisation of using the travel cot across the stairs and watchful eyes solved the problem.
The spa was beautiful, clean and relaxing although maybe a morning time slot to take children swimming could be beneficial as 3:30-5 co-insided with being out during the day or being too tired and hungry to swim.
We would love to recommend this hotel to anyone who loves excellent service in beautiful surroundings and we cant wait to return in the not to distant future :)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#3 of 7 in Lymington
Balmer Lawn
Balmer Lawn
#4 of 10 in Brockenhurst

Been to Lime Wood Hotel? Share your experiences!