“Great hotel, great spa, shame about the food” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lime Wood Hotel

Lime Wood Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Lyndhurst
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, great spa, shame about the food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

This wonderful hotel used to have it all! Location, gorgeous rooms, sumptuous spa, restful public areas, the finest fine dining and the unique and wonderful Scullery - a wonderful, informal, traditional room with lighter, more homely food. I have been several times since the hotel decided to give up the Scullery, to sacrifice the public areas for a space which can't decide whether it is a bar or a restaurant, and to invite Angela Hartnet to lend her name to the main restaurant. The result is awful. On each of my visits, whether with guests, as a couple or solo, the experience has been disappointing. The food is pretentious rather than satisfying; the ambience is busy in a train station way rather than peaceful and restful; and it is interesting that there appears to have been a remarkable turnover in staff since the refurbishment, losing the old amour propre in the establishment. If only the clock could be put back, the restaurant could be again match the rest of this hotel, excellent location, gem of a spa, glorious rooms and wonderful grounds. Not too late to reverse the terrible experiment. In the meantime, the advice is go down the road to Terra Vina.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Charlotte1953

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Hampshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

We'd been to Lime Wood for the day to relax and enjoy the surroundings a number of times. When it came to booking a birthday afternoon tea for family and friends we thought why not see if Lime Wood could arrange it for us. They hadn't organised such an event for so many people (nearly 50 in total) and made sure we felt comfortable with the arrangements and suggested everything from table layouts, to the room and what if anything to do following tea.

On the day things couldn't have gone better. The tea and coffee were served by friendly, attentive staff who without being stuffy ensured everyone had what they needed. The sandwiches had classical and modern fillings, all freshly prepared and all delicious. The cakes were all home made and varied from shortbread and scones, to chocolate fancies which wouldn't have been out of place in a Parisienne patisserie. I particularly loved the lemon meringue tarts for their combination of flavours and crisp pastry.

The event was held in The Scullery which provided the perfect setting for informal conversations and catching up. Following the event a number of those attending returned for their own visits to dine, relax or enjoy the spa... a real testament to how enjoyable the afternoon tea at Lime Wood was.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I had a fabulous lunch here with a client. The surroundings make it a superb place to get away and enjoy the eating experience and company. There are various different parts of the hotel in which you can eat depending on what kind of mood you want to create.
The menu is very wide and all the dishes were delicious. There was an excellent choice of wine too. This was my first trip there but I would definitely go back again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I booked this for the second half of my wifes surprise birthday for two nights and it was fantastic. The staff are superb and exceptionally professional, courteous and nothing is too much trouble at all. Notably in the bar lounge area staff where impeccable, the restaurant (to the point the waitress took time out mid meal to investigate ingredients on the internet as my wife is pregnant), and the greeting from the front of house was lovely and very welcoming. The accomodaiton was very comfortable, bathroom spacious and the hotel surroundings were very well furnished without being over the top. The spa is excellent, not overcrowded and very well run anwhich brings me to the food. We ate in both the spa restuarnat and Angela Hartnet fine dinign and both were very very good. I cannot fault Limewood - the nearest I can compare this to is Chewton Glenn but both my wife and I both think Limewood has the edge.

3 Thank newman8or
Larkfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

We stayed at Lime Wood to celebrate my husband's birthday and loved the location in the New Forest and the luxurious rooms. We stayed in a Forest Suite in the main hotel with views to the front and side. A complimentary bottle of champagne was waiting in our room which we enjoyed after a visit to the excellent spa. All the staff, without exception, were friendly and helpful, although there were one or two slip-ups which we wouldn't have expected in such an expensive establishment. The early morning tea which we had ordered didn't arrive, so we cancelled it as we wanted to go to the gym. Also we were a little disappointed in our meal in the restaurant the previous evening. Our starter of smoked meat and fish was delicious, however our main course of halibut was dry and overcooked. Also they muddled up our side orders and then charged us for the dish we didn't order. This was rectified when we queried it. The desserts looked pretty uninspiring and although my daughter (who made the booking) had asked if they could bring out a cupcake with a sparkler as a little birthday cake, which they said they would do, this did not appear. Because of these points I would only give Lime Wood 4 stars, although the accommodation alone is definitely worth 5 stars. I did mention all this on the customer satisfaction sheet and received a very nice e-mail in reply from the manager. It is a lovely place but probably just for a special occasion due to the high cost.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Marian S
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

We loved our stay at the Lime Wood and would definitely return. We stayed in a the hotel itself, in one of the basic suites and had lots of space, beautiful bed linen and a huge bathroom.

The main hotel was beautifully furnished and we loved the cocktail bar and restaurant. However it was the spa that made this hotel extra special for us. We were lucky to stay when it was fairly quiet and had a wonderfully relaxing time enjoying the pool, sauna and jacuzzi pool.
The gym was also fantastic, so much so that I actually joined my boyfriend in there....believe me that very rarely happens.

Also worth a mention was the fabulous breakfast and beautiful countryside.

The only downside was the cost. Not somewhere we'd like to pick up the bill for a weekend stay!

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Hindhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Lime Wood hotel recently mid-week for a de-stress from a ski holiday. On arrival there were a few horses near to the main gate which added to the new forest feel! The long driveway up to the house is very impressive with ample parking to the right hand side.

We were greeted at the door by very polite staff and welcomed at the small but personal check-in desk. We were giving all that we needed to know and personally escorted to our room (3).

My wife and I were very impressed with the room, not only in size but also position, view, amenities and decor. The bed was huge with lovely soft linen and it faced a large free-standing bath. Off to the right were a separate large shower and toilet area all of which can be closed off while still having the 'open' feel bathroom within the room. The mini bar was well stocked with complimentary water.

My wife and I both used the spa facilitates which were suitably calming, welcoming and well stocked with amenities. Even if you are not having a treatment the variety of pools are a must visit with relaxation, outdoor hot tub and hydro therapy all an option.

We had a dinner in the restaurant (Hartnett). While my meal was delicious, my wife's milk poached chicken lacked a little flavor. We did also find the waiting staff a little abrupt. We moved on to enjoy a few cocktails in the courtyard bar but as it was a Tuesday it was very quite so lacked a little atmosphere.

The next day check out and breakfast were effortless. We decided to enjoy breakfast in our room at 10:30 to enjoy the most of the luxurious surroundings. We were tempted by the free to use bikes available at the hotel however opted for a walk instead into the pretty town of Lyndhurst.

My wife and I have stayed in many 5 star luxury hotels and this one really does meet the rest of them (if a little pricey in comparison). We would definitely visit again and recommend to friends.

Room Tip: Room 3 has a great view over the gardens, with a large free-standing bath to lay in while you soak u...