“Dinner”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Lyndhurst
Baughurst, United Kingdom
“Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

We went to the restaurant at the Lime Wood Hotel and can't praise it enough.

A little difficult to find but worth the effort when you do. The setting is stunning and everything is of the highest standard.

We were greeted at the door and shown to the bar where menus were delivered.

The restaurant was superbly decorated. Staff were helpful and efficient. The meal it self was very good and all four of us enjoyed our choices.

One small point - having spent the best part of £300 on a meal for four it was disappointing that we were not thanked as we left the restaurant nor were we bade farewell as we exited the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Ashford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We pushed the boat out and booked in for 4 x nights to stay here having been massive fans of the sister hotel "the pig " it's not cheap at £620 per night but I must say worth every penny.
The service was top draw and we had amazing stay couldn't fault the place a real gem just wish I had more money to stay longer and more often.
My only bad comment is that the spa and pool was closed for 2x days during our stay due to Technical issues but I aware this happens and staff said it was first time since they opened.
We only ate in the restaurant twice but found the food to be very nice indeed the staff were lovely the whole time we stayed this place might not offer great value for money, but the old saying that "you get what you pay for" is very true here this hotel is quality from top to bottom. Hope to return next year.

Room Tip: Log cabin is perfect
1 Thank Sue H
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Limewoods Herb House Spa has done it again - What a fantastic Spa day!

My mother and I arrived at the Herb House to be greeted by extremely polite staff who were very informative about the spa and the facilities. We were then taken to the Spa's restaurant area for a light bite and a smoothie which was delicious.

After this we were shown downstairs. In our lockets we had lovely robes, slippers and water bottles. The spa itself was as always (in my experience) not crowded and quite. (perfect for relaxing)

My mother and I spent time enjoying the wonderful spa facilities and looking out to the beautiful forest and main house views. As it was a glorious sunny day we relaxed by the outside pool reading. We were later collected for a facial and the therapists took us to have facials together in a really lovely airy treatment room that looked over the forest.

The therapists were fantastic and I felt extremely relaxed after my treatment.

After our lovely spa experience my mother and I received some lovely gift bags from the Herb House Spa (what a great little touch)

The spa itself is extremely clean and there are a number of staff working extremely hard picking up towels etc (they were very attentive at there jobs)

After the Spa my mother and I went for some herbal tea in the main hotel which again is lovely the staff are very attentive and asked very politely about our spa day and made polite conversation.

Rarely in the UK do you find hotels that really deliver on true 5 star service - But Limewood in my experience always does. I would recommend this hotel without a doubt (I have also stayed here as have my family members - all whom have had a delightful time)

Fantastic hotel and Spa in a fantastic location.

Room Tip: The sun downer package is great if you fancy a half a day spa package with a treatment 4pm to 8pm
1 Thank GHurcombe
Dorset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is my third time to the Herb Spa at Limewood. My husband and I had a spa day which included hot stone massage and lunch. The day was faultless ... both our massages were high end and very relaxing.

As recommended, we pre-ordered lunch at Raw & Cured, which was ready for us as soon as we sat down - wonderful flavours (and inspired by the really tasty sweetcorn pate which we'll try to replicate the recipe at home). The coffees and herbal teas were also very good. All the Spa areas from changing rooms to hydro pools were being constantly refreshed with towels, and kept looking spotless.

Considering it was a Saturday, we were impressed that the Spa never felt crowded or busy - several occasions we were the only ones in the hydro and sauna area. Having been to Chewton Glen and Careys Manor several times in the past, for me, I would easily rate Limewood above these two for overall experience and ambiance. Definitely will be returning again very soon.

We dined at Limewood's Harnett Holder Restaurant a week ago and their food is first class, service amazingly professional and made you feel very comfortable.

Alton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

My husband booked a spa day for me for my birthday. He booked a couples massage in a private room and a facial. The therapists were very knowledgeable and the room was spacious and private. However I feel it was let down by poor management and quality checks. We were told that we needed to fill in our visit forms and then someone would show us around the facility - this did not happen and we had to go and ask which was disappointing as it was our first ever visit. After our treatments we were given 40 minutes to enjoy our private room which included a steam room and shower. The steam room was not switched on and there were no instructions and no-one to ask so we continued to the shower. We tried to wash our hair but the shampoo bottle was empty so I used the body wash and then used what I thought was conditioner but the bottle was actually body & hand cream which I had to then wash out when I went back to the changing room. We went through to lunch and waited for 30 minutes for our drinks and in total 40 minutes for our lunch. The staff seemed very disjointed with no one managing. We normally go to the Chewton Glen which is uniformly consistent with both quality and service and I thought this experience would be similar. It felt that they tried too hard with design and modernity but are missing the very important aspect of attention to detail.

6 Thank Jayeve15
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at limewood for 2 nights over the bank holiday in a cosy room in the main house. Our adjoining bathroom was almost as big as the bedroom which was beautiful.
The property is stunning especially the interior design, light flowing through.
The food was exceptional in Hartnet and holder and not extortionate compared to the breakfast which I feel was too overpriced per person when you compare to what other 5* properties charge though it was very delicious.
The spa was definitely the highlight- simply one of the best spas I have visited in the UK and worth going to alone. The gym upstairs and food in raw and cure- the spa cafe make it worth spending the whole day in the spa area. My only criticism of the spa was the many children in the swimming pool which disturbed the peace a little. Personally I feel limewood should have swim times for children or adult only time so everyone is kept happy but this ruined our time by the pool on Sunday as the pool are was very loud for quite a long time forcing us to leave it!

I really loved limewood but the following is why I wouldn't give it a top score:

- no air conditioning in the bedrooms. I totally get we are in England but even in May and opening the windows at night (which didn't open fully) meant for a stuffy nights sleep. I think this alone would stop me staying at limewood in a hot English summer.
- the menu for the bar and room service was very limited. I feel limewood should have a better room service and bar menu to make it interesting if you choose not to dine at Hartnet one evening.
- we had a very unfortunate experience on our second night as there was a private dinner being held in the dining room beneath our room. The long and short of it was that there was extremely loud music being played from 10pm onwards as we went to sleep. Not only very loud music but also very annoying screaming and squealing from drunk women on the grounds outside which meant we couldn't open our window and therefore was very stuffy in the room and as it's not what you dream of experiencing on a quiet lazy country weekend away from London! We complained the next day and the management were v apologetic but I got the sense that this might have happened in the past as trip advisor reviews suggest so- so I would next time stay in the coach house or suite to avoid the sounds of the kitchen, guests etc in the main house - if quiet is important to you then this is something to be aware of in the main house.
- you could smell cooking from the kitchen from our room when you left it in the corridors which didn't bother me that much but again is something which perhaps limewood should try to rectify.
-our room wasn't turned down one night which was annoying.
- the noise and lack of AC meant we checked out a night early to go home.

All in all, I really loved limewood and next time I would stay in the coach house for complete quiet. I loved the freshness of the property, location in new forest is wonderful and it's not that often you find a fantastic spa, food and beautifully appointed rooms all in the same place. The bamford products were a nice touch and the treatments decent. The best service we received came from the girls in raw and cured and our waitress in the restaurant.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank isabelw9
Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Booked in for breakfast on Saturday morning with friends, arrived and taken into the Scullery, really relaxed and informal. Great choice from the menu too. We met with Chrissy who took time out to give us a show round of the hotel, she was really friendly, the other staff who we came into contact with were polite, and chatty too.
I loved the fact that for a 5* hotel there was no 'stuffiness' there were lots of kids running round, and guests just relaxing. Took a peek into the Herb House Spa which looks fabulous. We only spent a couple of hours at the hotel but during that time we were made to feel very welcome.
Next step is to find the time to stay over.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,549 reviews
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Lime Wood Hotel? Share your experiences!