“Amazing but don't bring the kids!!!”
Review of Lime Wood Hotel

Lime Wood Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Lyndhurst
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing but don't bring the kids!!!”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Limewood is glorious make no mistake. Rooms are stunning (we stayed in the Forest Lodge). Service is exemplary and faultless. Food is delicious. Actually meeting the chef who has the name above the door was refreshing and delightful. Spa is stunning.

I just can't quite bring myself to feel anything is good value at £1000 per night. I'm blaming the kids. Next time they won't be invited and the bill will be much more appropriate!!!!

We will see you soon Limewood. Without the kids.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My wife and I chose Limewood for a short break away from work and the city and we were very glad we did. I'd never been to the New Forest before so the setting certainly didn't disappoint. The hotel itself is very eye-catching, a country house set in beautiful grounds with newer but still attractive buidlings containing more rooms and the spa/fitness facilities. The service we received right from the start was excellent, the staff are pleasant, attentive and informative. Our room was lovely, we'd been upgraded to one of the Crescent rooms with a spacious bedroom and large bathroom with walk-in shower and seperate bathtub. We were able to go for a walk in the forest which didn't last too long as we came across a nice pub & garden (the Crown Stirrup I believe) where we had a drink. Later we went for a relaxing swim in the pool before getting ready for dinner in the restaurant. We'd already had a snack earlier outside on the terrace in the sunshine - a beef sandwhich and 'marmite mushrooms' which we just had to try. The restaurant is run by Angela Hartnett so comes with a reputation - which fortunately it lived up to just fine. The pasta and fish dishes were especially good, as well as the wine and teh sommelier was very helpful & informative. The next morning after breakfast in our room we made use of the spa facilities again which were great. As well as more swimming we had time for a massage and to use the hydrotherapy pool and and steam room. All in all we really enjoyed staying at Limewood, a perfectly tranquil and luxurious spot for a relaxing and rejuvinating break. We would certainly come back and hopefully will do quite soon.

1 Thank Devski05
Hampshire
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Ok, so I was wrong, I admit it.

I've been an extremely loyal fan of a nearby five star hotel spa. I've compared it to other supposedly five star spa days and none have come even close, I fully expected Lime wood to fail my high standards test.

It didn't. I now have a new winning spa.

I can't say I'm a big fan of the twig like pens used to complete your registration, reminding you, this spa features heavily on the natural and organic ingredients of life. I'm a more, if it feels, smells, tastes nice, use it kind of girl.

Its winning features begin with the spacious, air conditioned changing rooms, which were a pleasure to use, with individual lockers all containing a freshly washed dressing gown, slippers and bottle of water. The locks take your own individual four pin number, which is handy. There are several individual changing rooms and a family changing room, with a set apart hair and make-up area.

The large hydrotherapy pool and outside pool were as warm as toast and even the indoor swimming pool, which I expected to shiver in, was pleasantly warm.

Although I visited the gym (just for a look) I cannot comment on the equipment but it looked impressive!

My treatment, once I got over the shock of being treated in daylight, within a huge barn like room, unlike the usual spa dark, candle glowing, womb like cocoon - was refreshingly relaxing.

My day at Lime wood was wonderful and I look forward to returning asap, I thoroughly recommend
it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Portchester, Fareham United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I was really looking forward to lunch at the restaurant as friends were raving about how good it was. Unfortunately, I left feeling disappointed. The setting, inside and outside is beautiful, so peaceful and a tranquil setting, gardens and buildings very well maintained and attractive. The staff were excellent to the point of fawning over us and the service was great. My starter was a plain smoked salmon dish which I could have prepared and the salmon was of high quality and tasty. The pannacotta dessert was really yummy, very creamy with a very flavoursome fruit puree. My main dish was cod with lentils and although the cod was perfectly cooked and presented, it had no taste whatsoever, I have had much tastier fish from a local fish and chip shop. We chose potatoes, sweet and sour carrots and sugar snap peas to accompany our mains. The first two were lovely but the peas were inedible as they were very stringy and also had no flavour at all. The Head Waiter agreed that they were stringy but we were still charged even though we could not eat them. I think it was a very bad judgement to charge us, after all everyone can make a mistake but if it is not remedied satisfactorily, future custom will be lost. I'm amazed that a restaurant which promotes its chefs expertise served poor quality cod and peas. Such a shame!

Harlow, Essex
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. Staff were rude and food was not good. I would not recommend this place to anybody, as it was grossly overpriced for what we got. The only good thing was its location.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
9 Thank Glynis C
Kent
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Thanks to my family, I had a 40th birthday voucher to spend at Limewood so we booked dinner. It was a lovely warm sunny evening and the hotel is beautiful and set in peaceful surroundings. I found the bar a little cold in terms of atmosphere....although all of the staff were friendly. The restaurant, however, was buzzy, cosy and a real treat. We had a fantastic young waiter called James....and I asked him to select every course for me!! He was spot on every time....the smoke house board starter was delicious, the pig cheeks succulent and the dessert ( cherry nut parfait) was the highlight for me. The food was reasonably priced but the drinks were pricey....still it was a great dinner and next time I am back to try the spa!!!!

southernengland
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We booked the tasting menu on Travelzoo. Lime Wood is situated just outside Lyndhurst in the New Forest with an imposing drive up to the hotel. We were met with a very warm welcome and this set the standard for a wonderful afternoon. Staff were always on hand to explain each of the courses. They were knowledgeable and very friendly. The food was of a very high standard, well presented and a good balance of flavours. We asked if it would be possible to look at the smokery, having tasted the amazing charcuterie, and after a short wait the head chef Luke Holder took us for an escorted tour. What a wonderful way to spend a lovely summer afternoon. Thank you to Luke for taking the time to explain how he prepares and smokes the wonderful food we sampled. Thank you too to all his staff for making us feel truly at home. We will be back

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank garlic1927
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Burley
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Lime Wood Hotel? Share your experiences!