Lime Wood Hotel
US$132
US$128
US$153
Penny Farthing Hotel(Lyndhurst)(Great Value!)
US$130
US$108
US$52
Travelodge
1,433 results
All reviewsherb houseafternoon teaangela hartnettchewton glenhydro poolforest suitespa treatmentsmain restauranthartnett holderboot roomhunter welliescourtyard bargenerous roomcountry housetasting menusandwichessteam room
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We'd booked the Cedar Room for 9 people for my Mum's 80th birthday celebration lunch. All contact with the hotel in advance was very friendly and efficient. Arrived late due to horrendous traffic but it was no problem - take your time over drinks and come and sit down when you are ready said Barnaby, our host. Table beautifully laid with large bowl of cream roses centre piece. We chose a mixture from the a la carte and set lunch menus - tasty food, beautifully presented, not huge portions but perfect for lunch. I had halibut on pea puree with heritage tomatoes accompanied by deep fried courgettes and delicious thyme cooked carrots, followed by a yummy lemon cream with blackcurrants. We took tea, coffee and birthday cake in the garden as the weather was glorious. The garden presented a great backdrop for some photo opportunities - large swing, tree hanging egg shaped seats, deer, water features, etc. Lovely afternoon in a perfect location. Recommend for a celebration.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank CarogUK
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Having tasted most of the competition within the new forest my partner and I decided upon an afternoon tea at the Limewood hotel and restaurant. We arrived in the late afternoon and proceeded up the decadent driveway. All manner of arty treats try to divert your attention away from the splendid manor yet its majesty is still somewhat breathtaking.
Upon being seated within the airy restaurant the service was impeccable, given we only attended for an afternoon tea nothing was lost in the attentiveness of the waiting staff. All extremely well presented they were the perfect balance of engaging and polite.
So to the repast.
Although we only opted for the afternoon tea it was presented as only an afternoon tea should be on a three tier platter with a divine collection of finger sandwiches to accompany. If memory serves me right there were five wholesome flavours, all intriguingly tasty with one sticking in my mind as the smoked salmon. These were without doubt the most amazing smoked salmon sandwiches I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. In times past a smoked salmon sandwich was something I eyed with dreary suspicion. Too many was the time where the salmon was not smoked at its freshest. Possibly under smoked and verging on sushi. The tastes were incredible. I couldn't help but pass my complements to the chef whom left his duties in the kitchen to give us a guided tour of the establishments own smoke house. This was totally unexpected and an absolute treat in itself. The commis chef walked us down to a Diagon...Alley esq outbuilding, the architect of which they must have prised from the set of Harry potter. Inside, the aroma was an aromatic taste sensation. Heady oaky smoke twinned with cured meats of all description. Apparently this is one of only a very few smoke houses in the uk whom experiment in the preservation of meats in such a way. The temperature and humidity being controlled around the clock to create the perfect cured and smoked meats for the kitchen.
All in all the experience is one that I would thoroughly recommend to anyone. The establishment is one with a certain standard of patron and surely all the better for it. Track suits and trainers are not something you will find here. That said it is not overly pompous and extremely friendly. We will without doubt be returning in the very near future.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank mickle g
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Limewood is glorious make no mistake. Rooms are stunning (we stayed in the Forest Lodge). Service is exemplary and faultless. Food is delicious. Actually meeting the chef who has the name above the door was refreshing and delightful. Spa is stunning.

I just can't quite bring myself to feel anything is good value at £1000 per night. I'm blaming the kids. Next time they won't be invited and the bill will be much more appropriate!!!!

We will see you soon Limewood. Without the kids.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My wife and I chose Limewood for a short break away from work and the city and we were very glad we did. I'd never been to the New Forest before so the setting certainly didn't disappoint. The hotel itself is very eye-catching, a country house set in beautiful grounds with newer but still attractive buidlings containing more rooms and the spa/fitness facilities. The service we received right from the start was excellent, the staff are pleasant, attentive and informative. Our room was lovely, we'd been upgraded to one of the Crescent rooms with a spacious bedroom and large bathroom with walk-in shower and seperate bathtub. We were able to go for a walk in the forest which didn't last too long as we came across a nice pub & garden (the Crown Stirrup I believe) where we had a drink. Later we went for a relaxing swim in the pool before getting ready for dinner in the restaurant. We'd already had a snack earlier outside on the terrace in the sunshine - a beef sandwhich and 'marmite mushrooms' which we just had to try. The restaurant is run by Angela Hartnett so comes with a reputation - which fortunately it lived up to just fine. The pasta and fish dishes were especially good, as well as the wine and teh sommelier was very helpful & informative. The next morning after breakfast in our room we made use of the spa facilities again which were great. As well as more swimming we had time for a massage and to use the hydrotherapy pool and and steam room. All in all we really enjoyed staying at Limewood, a perfectly tranquil and luxurious spot for a relaxing and rejuvinating break. We would certainly come back and hopefully will do quite soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Devski05
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Ok, so I was wrong, I admit it.

I've been an extremely loyal fan of a nearby five star hotel spa. I've compared it to other supposedly five star spa days and none have come even close, I fully expected Lime wood to fail my high standards test.

It didn't. I now have a new winning spa.

I can't say I'm a big fan of the twig like pens used to complete your registration, reminding you, this spa features heavily on the natural and organic ingredients of life. I'm a more, if it feels, smells, tastes nice, use it kind of girl.

Its winning features begin with the spacious, air conditioned changing rooms, which were a pleasure to use, with individual lockers all containing a freshly washed dressing gown, slippers and bottle of water. The locks take your own individual four pin number, which is handy. There are several individual changing rooms and a family changing room, with a set apart hair and make-up area.

The large hydrotherapy pool and outside pool were as warm as toast and even the indoor swimming pool, which I expected to shiver in, was pleasantly warm.

Although I visited the gym (just for a look) I cannot comment on the equipment but it looked impressive!

My treatment, once I got over the shock of being treated in daylight, within a huge barn like room, unlike the usual spa dark, candle glowing, womb like cocoon - was refreshingly relaxing.

My day at Lime wood was wonderful and I look forward to returning asap, I thoroughly recommend
it.