“Oh dear....!”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Lyndhurst
New Forest, United Kingdom
“Oh dear....!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I should state from the outset that I have not stayed at the Limewood (which I think would be amazing) but I have had lunch there several times. On Thursday I joined about 40 other local women for a fund-raising lunch for the local hospice. It is fair to say that the Limewood would have to select their menu carefully because we were only paying £29 for two courses, a glass of wine and coffee/tea. However, in my view, the management could have taken a more philanthropical point of view (as other local venues have done in the past) and perhaps offered canapés or an amuse-bouche with the welcome drink. The main course was a choice of baked cod on pomme puree plus pesto or roasted belly of pork. The cod looked delicious and tasted good according to my fellow guests. However, the belly pork was obviously very cheap as it was largely fat which was evident by the large piles of unconsumed "matter" left on the guests' plates. The sauce, to my taste, was not a good accompaniment for pork. Its base was tomato with black olives and I think parmesan cheese. It was oily and not very palatable. After the main course, the coffee/tea cups were placed in front of us before the dessert had been served. This was apparently to save time as we were having a presentation. The cups were half filled with tea but no cold milk arrived for at least 5 minutes - the tea was therefore no longer hot. The hot milk arrived prior to the coffee being served. The dessert was either chocolate hazelnut torte - which I had and was delicious - zabaglione with poached fruits or lemon cream and salted oats. We joked amongst ourselves that the delay in serving the dessert was probably because the zabaglione was not set "a la Master Chef". Sure enough, when it arrived it was just an oversweet plate of slop. Another guest said that the lemon cream was also very sweet. On the positive side, the hotel location and décor are exquisite, the staff are all extremely attentive and charming, but for such a prestigious hotel, it really missed the mark with the food offered. My friends and I decided to have tea on the terrace after lunch as it was such a glorious day. We had a great selection of leaf teas to choose from but then they forgot to give us a tea strainer! Your reputation has been severely dented on this occasion Limewood. How short sighted of you to offer less than 100% to a bunch of local women who would keep coming back, if only for special celebrations. With so many good restaurants to choose from in the New Forest, I will not be rushing to return to the Limewood to eat.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Janet C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I recently went for afternoon tea at Lime Wood as I decided to splash out due to it being a special birthday for a relative. We were greeted by a very chatty member of staff and shown to a table near the bar. Even though I had specified on the phone what I would like, menus were still put on the table which kind of spoilt it because I didn't want to advertise the cost. However, I was expecting something pretty special and I was a little disappointed. There was only one plate of finger sandwiches for 3 of us and the couple that I picked up were starting to go a little dry on the ends. The cakes were ok but only 1 of each type per person. The scones I think were the best part and they did redeem themselves a little by bringing a muffin on a plate with a happy birthday message written in chocolate. After bringing the cakes/sandwiches the waitress said she would be back to explain what we had but never reappeared so I had to ask another member of staff. The cake stand was not that user friendly as you had to carefully slide the plate out sideways but the inevitable happened to the table behind and a plate went crashing to the floor. Considering it is £23 per person it was not exceptional which was a shame and then they added a service charge which I was not expecting. So all in all I was disappointed and sadly unlikely to go again, the surroundings were quite nice though. Having read this, if you still want to give it a try, I would just go for the scone cream tea which was a lot cheaper.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank jivebunny99
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

My son and partner took us to the restaurant for my husband's 60th birthday. Alex our waiter was fantastic and looked after us for the whole lunch time. We had a wonderful meal, which was an amazing experience. The food was wonderful. We sat by the window with a view over the gardens. The restaurant was full but we were always looked after and the food was served quickly and beautifully. We had lovely wine and did not want to leave, it made my husband's birthday truly special.

We are avid food lovers and will definitely come again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank anniewillats
romsey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We recently had the pleasure of dining at this hotel and enjoyed a wonderful tasting menu including the 'smoke house board' which is a sharing platter showcasing the hotel's on-site Smokehouse produce.

On arrival we were shown into the Courtyard Bar, featuring a retractable glass roof, which was a lovely surprise and much appreciated at this time of year. Here we enjoyed an aperitif before being shown into the main dining room with its views out over the formal gardens; we could have sat outside should we have so wished.

The service was impeccable and the whole experience first-class.

Can't wait to return!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

As one would imagine given the ownership it's a relaxed place with good food and service. It's just nice to relax and enjoy the great hotel and the rooms are just great at what ever level you are paying.

The food menu is simple and lovely.

Nice wine too.

Hope you enjoy too.

Room Tip: The best rooms are more expensive than the expensive ones.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Northants
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We had a wonderful Anniversary stay here. The setting is sublime, set in the New Forest in its own beautiful grounds ,it is a haven of peace and calm. Our room was outstanding ,more of a cottage with a living room and open fire if you needed it, bedroom with wonderfully comfortable bed and a huge bathroom with slipper bath and massive walk in shower. Everything in the room hotel and spa has been equipped to the highest standard.
The pool was beautiful and the whole spa area well laid out with a large pool and one outside and one inside spa pools with lots of jest and bubbles. It was a warm few days and we spent hours lounging outside by the pools, comfortable loungers masses of towels everywhere and even the lockers have a towelling gown, flip flops and bottle of water in every one!
I would have given it a top rating but the food and restaurant service did let it down. Apart from a gorgeous mozzarella salad the food in the restaurant (we ate there on both nights ) was disappointing. The menu was limited, we asked for a vegetarian adaption to one meal which was not possible and no vegetarian menu was offered but the knowledgeable waiter recommended a pasta dish as 'what we are all about' which tasted like a childhood memory of tinned ravioli
A chicken dish was just that ,fried chicken with fried onions and a baked garlic. Nothing was poor just average and un inspiring. The waiters don't seem to know if this is formal or casual dining ,tables are allocated with a vague you could sit there or there and on both nights the seating was uncomfortable or too close to others. On our second night one couple became increasingly amorous to the point that they were eating each other to the embarrassed amusement of the rest of us but as great as it is to see young love it did put you off your food
Again at breakfast, it was a sort of serve yourself affair and my omelette was hard and greasy
I don't want to sound too negative however as the hotel is lovely and we had a wonderful break ,and we may have had an off few days with the food but get that right and this place would be exceptional

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hoteljunkieNorthants
Havant
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

We've just returned from a one night stay here and what can I say. It was lovely, the best hotel I have stayed at only comparable with Atlantis in Dubai. The food was out of this world, the spa treatments and spa itself amazing. The staff and service very very good, a particular mention to Alex in the restaurant who really showed a passion for the job and the food. We were trying to understand what makes limewood stand out and it's all the little things, the hunters available for muddy walks, the kids bikes outside for the children to use, the mineral water scattered everywhere for you to take, the nibbles presented with every drink. Outstanding if you get the opportunity go! We will be back. Thank you Limewood for a lovely night away.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank JustlookingHavant
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,550 reviews
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Lime Wood Hotel? Share your experiences!