“Good but not great like it used to be”
Review of Lime Wood Hotel

Lime Wood Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Lyndhurst
London, UK
“Good but not great like it used to be”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This was our fourth stay at Limewood in 4 years and we always enjoy the experience.
This year was generally lovely as usual (see my earlier review) but with a few slightly grating exceptions.
Firstly - we ordered room service on the first night as I was feeling unwell with a bug. My wife requested some plain toast for me as that was all I was up to eating and was surprised to be informed that it was not available at that hour of the day - clearly their toast specialist was otherwise engaged.
Secondly - while enjoying lunch at Raw and Cured we were rather scarily approached by a guy who told us how he lives locally and comes here for the coffee because its quiet and he won't get into any fights! He then proceeded to try and engage us in avid conversation for a while and we felt very uneasy as the guy was clearly a local nut-job. Quite why he is allowed to avail himself of the hotel facilities on a regular basis is anyone's guess but to me it showed a distinct lack of care from the staff towards their guests.
Finally, and probably as a result of having been ill and feeling dozy I managed to leave and lose my sunglasses at the hotel. I phoned on my return home and was promised that they would be returned if found. I received a phone call back a few days later to say they had not been. I have no doubt they were left in the hotel as I had them on arrival and we did not leave the grounds and while it is my own fault they were lost, I am slightly surprised they were not found.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Dog and I escaped to the country. We loved it and didn't want to go back to London. A beautiful and lovingly restored country house set in the heart of the New Forest. As soon as you cross the cattle grid and drive up to the house you relax immediately. Dog and I were welcomed like family members. I allowed the Prof to spend one night before he was put on the train back to London. Very close to a good train link in to central London. Minty the dog and I stayed on for three more wonderful days. Our suite of rooms was fabulous, Minty had her own room with basket and bowls and I had a luxurious room up the stairs in the tower of the Coach House. Windows looking down to the Herb House (spa and out door jacuzzi in a Provencal garden with olive trees and sun loungers) Minty and I were allowed to eat in the outdoor restaurants and she was looked after by the staff in the reception area when I decided to dine inside or had a spa treatment. Great place to stay if you just want to walk in the New Forest or have treatments in the spa. The staff were amazing, friendly and obviously enjoy working in this fine country house. Well behaved dogs very welcome but there are some doggy rules to be adhered to - a must if you want to enjoy the peaceful and immaculate hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms can be in the hotel, or in the small cottages and pavilions dotted around the garden. All bea...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MissesN
London
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed at Lime Wood for a long weekend. Room was charming with a view of the forest beyond, bed comfortable and bathroom good tho very little cupboard space for your clothing (guess they are only expecting short stays). Spa was absolutely fantastic with the most beautiful sauna I have seen. I am not usually a fan but had to go in because of the view. Hydro pool - fabulous. Raw and Cured was just outstanding. Staff clearly pleased to be working there and proud of their offerings. Would definitely recommend you have both breakfast and lunch there and skip the hotel. Had a lovely meal at the Hartnett restaurant eventho we are not mad about wild gamey food. Gnocchi was delicious. My only major criticism was the staff in the hotel. Usually I would write directly to the manager but I see that other reviewers have criticised this aspect and management don't seem to care. Staff overall were too young and (taking liberties with a well known saying): most were "too posh to serve". No senior person was visible and staff seemed more focused on making sure there bar looked great than looking out for guests. Coffee at breakfast was just awful. But, would certainly return and make a bee line for Raw and Cured which was outstanding. One other thing to highlight: our room didn't seem to have any air conditioning so not a place to go in the height of summer.

Room Tip: Avoid the internal rooms above the bar
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ebthecat
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Wow what a hotel and grounds. Had a fantastic stay with friends from the Lexus family which made the stay more of a truly amazing experiance.
All rooms are great lovly service fantstic food with a smile.
Spa is in a great locaion with the sun beaming down in the outsisde area.The wife now wants to go every year and we are starting our saving fromthe moment we get back.
Relax and enjoy your stay you will be back.

Room Tip: Any room there all nice!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chris H
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Just had the most wonderful stay here. We were fortunate to stay at the Forrest Cottage. (Cottage 1) It was a whole new experience, one I hope to repeat. The Staff, could not do enough for us making sure we had everything we could possibly need. The Spa..........well words fail me, the best I have ever come across. Highly recommend this Hotel to anyone. It is an up market venue but with a very relaxed feel. Restaurant worth a visit, again the staff are attentive and the serves first class. The hotel sits in the New Forrest and has some amazing walks. The grounds are beautiful, Lime Wood is just a little bit of paradise here in the UK.
Only downside, no air conditioning in the Cottage.

Room Tip: With only 32 rooms, I doubt very much they have one that is not beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

On arrival at the Hotel we were met with a very warm welcome,the staff were brilliant,we confirmed our booking we were then taken to the lovely gardens for drinks and to view the menu,then we were taken to our table,the menu was a great selection,my starter was the cod roe and my main was the wild bass which was fantastic,and to make the day even better Angela Hartnett was there,which made my wife very happy,overall the experience was fantastic.And not to forget our waiter Wade who was Brilliant.

Room Tip: You have to visit
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Exceptional food - one of the best meals we have ever tasted. We had Mackerel Ceviche, Quails eggs , the Pigs Cheeks and Milk and honey with Goats Cheese for dessert . Exceptional wine list. Wonderful spa . Fabulous grounds and walks on offer in the nearby forest. Very well appointed rooms . This is an exceptional hotel. Very well trained knowledgeable and friendly staff. Recommend for a romantic short getaway.

Room Tip: Suite 7 had great views at the back of the hotel overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
The Crown Manor House Hotel
#3 of 10 in Brockenhurst
Cottage Lodge Hotel
Cottage Lodge Hotel
#2 of 10 in Brockenhurst

Been to Lime Wood Hotel? Share your experiences!