Lime Wood Hotel
US$132
US$128
US$153
Penny Farthing Hotel(Lyndhurst)(Great Value!)
US$130
US$286
US$278
US$252
1,433 results
All reviewsherb houseafternoon teaangela hartnettchewton glenhydro poolforest suitespa treatmentsmain restauranthartnett holderboot roomhunter welliescourtyard bargenerous roomcountry housetasting menusandwichessteam room
Reviewed 6 March 2011

I stayed here for 1 night as an anniversary treat and it was amazing. We checked into our room and I was stunned. The room was more like a small apartment with a mezzanine level bedroom. The furnishings were lovely and bathroom was huge with a gorgeous bath and big shower. I was equally impressed with the public areas of the hotel, full of rooms with open log fireplaces. The bar area is lovely and a huge choice of wines and cocktails. We ate in 'The dining room'. We had the 7 course tasting menu and the wine pairings. The food was fantastic, I couldnt fault it at all. All the staff in the restaurnat and bar were brilliant and couldnt be more attentive and helpful. We didnt use the new spa but had a look round and it looked fabulous. I really loved this hotel and would go back in a heart beat!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Charlielimewood, General Manager at Lime Wood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2011

Thank you for your review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us on such a special occasion.
I will pass your compliments onto the rest of the team. I hope to welcome you both again soon. Until then, take care,

Justin Pinchbeck

Reviewed 1 March 2011

I recently stayed at Limewood after hearing lots of hype from friends and press.

Our experience was faultless. We had a beautiful room in the crescent with a lovely patio overlooking the Forest. We decided to have dinner early because of our daughter and ate at the chefs table! what a great experience and insight into what goes on behind the scenes...i loved it! Our little girl was looked after so well and the chefs made some little extra treats for her. It was also nice to meet Luke the head chef who has created some wonderful dishes.

the next morning we had breakfast in the Scullery which was great, I ate almost everything! subsequently a long walk was needed in the new forest once we chose the funkiest pairs of hunters and off we went! got back to our room just before the rain and lit the fire and watched a movie!

Our days at limewood felt like a week of pure relaxation. I didnt get chance to use the spa had a look around and will back to make use of that for sure!

The staff and service were spot on, I have stayed at many hotels before but few make you feel as comfortable as Limewood, especially with a toddler running around the hotel! The staff are polite and more importantly friendly. you do arrive at places like this and expect an air of pretentiousness, but certainly not at Limewood.

Thank you for such a wonderful time - i will be back!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Charlielimewood, Manager at Lime Wood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2011

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am thrilled that you have had such an enjoyable time with us.

I agree with you, the Chef's Table is the best spot in the house! It is great fun and really interactive making your meal truly memorable!

I know the team will look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 27 February 2011

We recently stayed for one night at Limewood because we had heard great things about it, and always want to stay in Spa hotels. On arrival we went straight to the Spa for lunch, which was good and used the facilities before our 3 treatments in the afternoon, Fantastic ! couldn't fault the Spa and it's staff at all. Then it went down hill rapidly. We had an eaves room (16) which was slightly disappointing and our lights in the bathroom went out about 30 times !! Really annoying whilst getting ready for dinner ! So mentioned it to reception when going to dinner. Then there was dinner !! well what can I say ! apart from the food itself being VERY DISSAPOINTING and lacking in seasoning, both my starter and main was tasteless and dull. during the meal which was very long winded because the service was SO BAD ! we asked for numerous drinks which never arrived and had to ask again and again !! It wasn't just us either, I noticed several different tables around us having to ask several times for drinks, and each time they finally arrived the waiter said they were complimentary, so they must have made a loss that night at the bar !!! We were bought the dessert menu ( which was very disappointing in choice ) and sat there waiting 25 minutes with no one taking the order ! Finally this arrogant waiter came over who quite frankly had avoided doing anything he could all night, topped up our glasses in a very " I cant be bothered attitude way " and as we were about to order some cheese he walked away !! So we had to eventually beckon over another waiter to take the order !! The service was absolutely appalling. Breakfast the next day wasn't any better at £17.50 per head every time you asked for anything it never arrived, I had to end up getting it myself from across the restaurant, and the food itself was very lack lustre ! And then there was the Receptionist ! who for some reason didn't like me and looked down her nose at me ! She explained that the light problem in the bathroom was probably due to US NOT PUTTING THE KEY IN THE FOB CORRECTLY ! YEAH RIGHT !! if that was the case how come the lights in the bedroom worked ? I'm sure it's an ongoing problem in that room and they can't fix it, so they fob you off with any old excuse. When checking out, the bill was incorrect, they had charged for an extra Spa treatment which we didn't have which THEY HAD BOOKED IN ERROR, when this error was pointed out the receptionist was trying to imply that I had cancelled it ( which there would have been a charge for - the whole amount ! ) until I pointed out that it was the hotels error,when I did this she she took off the charge but did it in a way like she was doing me a favour !! I THINK NOT ! Finally we were checking out and the same receptionist who looked down her nose at me during the stay asked if my stay was o.k ? So I pointed out that the Spa side of the stay was good but the Hotel side let it down VERY BADLY especially the service . Well she didn't like it and retorted What do you Mean ? so I explained about the bad service in the dining room and she said Oh yes ! we were very busy last night !! To which I replied, well you didn't have enough staff on then did you ? and she completely ignored what I had said and repeated herself again, so I repeated again " so you didn't have enough staff on then did you " ! which of course she didn't like. Anyway we left and would never return or recommend to anyone to stay at Limewood. We have stayed all over the world in some outstanding hotels and Limewood is trying to be in this league, sadly Limewood your nowhere near it, so stop trying to be something your not and in the process ripping people off ! !

2  Thank mabel0

Thank you for your review and for your kind comments regarding the spa. I will pass your compliments on - the girls will be thrilled.

I am terribly sorry about your experience in the hotel. I am horrified at the way you were spoken too - feedback like this is so important to us as it is something which we will bring up in our morning meetings and action immediately.

In my opinion the service is the most important part of the total experience. It is the aspect which is most memorable be it positive or negative. I am just so sorry that your memory of Lime Wood will be so negative especially after you enjoyed the spa so much.

I truly hope that one day you will give us another try and that your second experience with us is a truly happy one.

Thank you again for your feedback which I can assure you will be actioned.

Charlie

Reviewed 26 February 2011

I stayed here with my wife for 2 nights recently. The hotel was both everything I had hoped for and as good as other reviewers had said. The swimming pool / spa / gym was the best I have ever used, especially the steam room / plunge pool.

The room was good, nothing to faulty that other than no kettle and I hate not being able to make a cup of tea in the morning !

What really let the place down, as per previous reviews, was the Scullery. Service was uninspiring, uninterested and poor at best. The restaurant manager on the Monday night was a lot better than his staff, although he didn’t always help his customers. As an example 2 young children struggled with the hard to use juice squeezer and he just watched, never once helping them or pointing out that pre squeezed juice was right next to them.

On Monday night the main restaurant is closed, pushing all guests into the Scullery. We didn’t realise that at breakfast on the Monday asked for a table at 8 that night and were told we could have 18-00 or 21-30, neither what you want on an expensive break. After some argument we were offered a table laid in the conservatory instead. As it turned out it was perfect, but why did it take an argument to get it and if that hadn’t been offered we would have been forced to drive and go out locally, again not what I expected or wanted. Given that this must happen every time the hotel is busy on a Monday night - sort it.

Like a previous reviewer, i never saw anyone who looked like the Hotel Manager. I found this astonishing for a hotel like this, the 'meeting, greeting and smoozing' is part of making guests feel welcome and want to return.

The walks artound the hotel are great and the maps / cards in the nroom actually accurate !

Its a great hotel but as others have said, sort out the F & B.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. I am so pleased that apart from the Scullery / service you enjoyed your stay. So many people comment about the maps found in the rooms - I am so pleased they are accurate as that is the one thing we were worried about - it is easy putting directions together, the hard part is ensuring everyone will understand them!

I apologise on behalf of the Scullery / Food & Beverage team. I know that it will upset them to know that they did not provide a good service but without this feedback we can't improve, so thank you. It is the little things that count and these are also things which guests notice. I will pass on your comments and ensure that they are addressed.

Thank you for staying with us and I do hope that this has not tainted your view of Lime Wood and you will be back to visit us again. We are still learning but I can assure you that every day we are making progress even though this can sometimes be slow.

Reviewed 23 February 2011

We had a lovely weekend here with friends. The location is gorgeous and we were lucky that the weather was dry so we could walk in the forest. If you can afford to stay in one of the more luxurious rooms, it's worth it. We stayed in Coach House 4 (I think) which was an average sized room but not worth the price. Our friends stayed in the room above which had a lovely terrace overlooking the forest. Also our room was very very hot. It has underfloor heating and there was nothing the staff could do to make the room cooler. They did offer us complimentary breakfast in the end. I would probably come back here but we did find the food a bit disappointing. We ate in the Scullery the first night and it was fairly average and then in the restaurant which was disappointing. However, the service was fantastic. I had a treatment in the spa which was good but the beautician wasn't very friendly. So I suppose, mixed feelings considering the price. The Royal Oak pub nearby was good for lunch and serves food all day.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your comments and criticisms. I am sorry that you found the food a bit disappointing. We have introduced a new 'Scullery Menu' this week and it seems to be going down a treat. Our Head Chef Luke Holder has put a lot of time and effort into ensuring that the variety of dishes are mixed but the quality remains. If you do have time to visit us again I hope this menu changes your view.

Our Dining Room will be enjoying a mini makeover over the next month or so. Not only will the decor change but the menu too. I also hope that if and when you come back you will be able to experience this new restaurant and it is more to your liking.

I really do hope you come back and visit us again. I will pass your kind compliments onto the staff and onto the spa who will be thrilled that you enjoyed your treatment!