“Good value & central location”
Review of Stag Hotel

Stag Hotel
Ranked #9 of 22 Lyndhurst B&B and Inns
Derby, United Kingdom
“Good value & central location”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed here for a weekend after visiting family locally. Great welcome (although you have to check in at the bar) & a lovely large comfy room. Nice to have bottled water in the room as well as tea/ coffee & biscuits. Bathroom was large & had great towels.

The bedroom was spotlessly clean & so was the bathroom - until you shut the bathroom door. The tiles & the floor behind the door were caked in dust. Definitely a while since anyone had checked back there.

Our breakfasts were excellent, well cooked & a good choice. We ate here on the first night & had decent pub food and fantastically friendly service.

The hotel entrance & stairs are looking tired & again could do with a good refresh & a clean - there were several dead flies on the banister rails which were at eye level every time you went down.

The car park is not easy to find and it would be useful if there was something on the website to say how to find it, or a different post code to put in so you don't have to phone the hotel after driving round the one way system several times. & there is wi-fi in the hotel , but they don't tell you that & we didn't spot the sign until we were checking out. (a sign in the bedroom would have been useful. The only one we spotted was in the bar)
I also wouldn't recommend this for anyone with mobility difficulties. The stairs are steep & there are a lot of them.

Overall a very pleasant stay & was the perfect location for getting out & about locally in the new forest.

Room Tip: we asked for a quiet room & had a great nights sleep even with the windows open
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank neoflip789

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Burton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Brian and Nicky are lovely people very friendly with experience of running hotels before. A hearty breakfast was served and thoroughly enjoyed. I will be staying on a monthly basis from now on and look forward to seeing the staff and relaxing after a days work.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank wmjsmith
Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed for 4 nights whilst visiting friends and the locality. A bit apprehensive when the owner said they had only taken over a few days ago and ‘were still finding their way’!

No need to worry though, Brian and his wife Nicky are old hands having successfully run a similar establishment in Teignmouth which they decided to sell on and buy the Stag to be closer to their family.

From check in to out, all ran very smoothly. Nothing too much trouble and a great team beginning to develop. Early days maybe, but you can feel and sense the potential. Guests need to help the process and bring any issues straight to the team to address.

Breakfast and the daily menu are very good with most ingredients being sourced locally. The Stag in turn, now needs to be actively supported locally by locals as well – they will be pleasantly surprised.

If we are back in the area, rest assured, we will return, whether to stay or just for a drink (or 6!). Good luck for the future Brian and Nicky and your team.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front suffer from traffic, but remember, you are on the main Hight Street!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kev M
bures
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I walked in at 11.00 pm having phoned to say I was on my way. The first words I heard were "we, ve stopped serving". I explained I was booking in then I got "you got here eventualy" I thought this was a little rude but then maybe I was being oversenstive after a long drive. I was shown to my room and told I could come in the back from the car park with my luggage if I did it in the next ten minutes or I would have go round the front as the back door would be locked. I mannaged this and asked if I could order a pint. This was refused as they had stopped serbing I explained I was staying but was again refusedso went up to room hot and thirsty and switched on the tv which only had bbc channels. The room was clean and the breakfazt good but I left still angry at my treatment. This is more a boarding house than a hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank johnrow2013
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Hearty food and plenty of it in this friendly pub/hotel. Very good service and a nice wine list. We didn't stay here but we did eat here twice. The atmosphere was friendly and we felt welcomed back on our second visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Halesowen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed here with my husband and son. The family room was lovely, spotlessly clean overlooking the High Street. Breakfast was also good with selection of fruit, yoghurt and cereals plus juices, tea/coffee, full English and toast. All in all a great base for exploring The New Forest. Would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Only visited The Stag hotal" once for dinner.

This was a Thursday evening and it was actually very quiet which suited us.
I can highly recommend the Steak & Kidney pudding.
Absoulte belly buster with nice fresh & hot vegetables - TOP DRAW