We decided, at the last minute, to book a mini-break combining the New Forest and Peppa Pig world outside of the main school holidays and negotiated a fair late booking rate directly with the hotel.
Forest Lodge Hotel is conveniently situated - literally 10/15 mins drive from the theme park and an oasis of calm for 'grown-ups' after the drone of listening to PP theme music... The hotel is on a side road, that is set back from the main road into Lyndhurst, which means that it's easy to find yet not overlooking traffic. Literally just outside the hotel you can enjoy a vista of open woodland with ponies grazing plus a nearby pub (that serves food) that looked very pleasant (but we weren't staying long enough to sample it's atmosphere/food). We liked the hotel's period features (which do mean that rooms are not laid out in an obvious fashion which, in our opinion, adds to it's character) and it has been rennovated (2 years ago) so the bar, restaurant, toilets and our family room were clean, comfortable and decorated in a contemporary manner (no chinz!).
I think the one thing that we remember from our stay was the service - whilst not of 5 star London standards people were attentive to our needs (tired parents juggling a 4 year old and a baby), considerate and friendly. In particular the barman was flexible - giving us time to choose over the menu, offering advise when asked, willingly assisting us when we needed to move to a warmer area inside rather than dine on the terrace and genuinely demonstrating concern about whether we enjoyed our meal. When we went for an 'after dinner stroll' with the children it wasn't any trouble to be the custodian of our partially full wine glasses either (which we were reunited with..)!
The receptionist on duty on our day of departure was helpful too - providing good tips about where we could park our car to reach good family-friendly cycle routes (Boltons Bench parking area just off the B3056) and recommendations about pubs to visit before the long drive home. Whilst we chose to drive to Bolton Bench this was was an easy walk / cycle ride from the hotel.
The hotel's bar food was of good quality and a fair price especially as we'd recieved a voucher towards the cost (as we'd booked on a DB&B basis). Our family room was spacious, clean and comfortable so no complaints there. The pool was great too - we had sole use and the facilities were clean and tidy. For breakfast a basic buffet was provided (cereals, fruit, milk, juices etc) but hot food & beverage were freshly served to order. Again the food was fresh and, whilst not huge portions, was more than adequate to set you up for the day.
Lyndhust was a great base for a mini break and, whilst clogged with traffic during peak visitor periods, is an attractive town and the peal of church bells added to the atmosphere during our evening stroll. The New Forest Visitor Centre provides a good introduction to the area and is engaging for adults and children alike. Allow 1-2 hours for a visit and it's an easy walk from the hotel. An unexpected added attraction for our 4 year old was the cars he spotted due to the proximity of the Beaulieu National Motor Museum (there was a fair on during the weekend we stayed so lots of classic cars were spotted both in the hotel car park and traveling through Lyndhurst!) and the Ferrari & Maserati garage in Lyndhurst!
We thoroughly enjoyed our mini break and would recommend this hotel - it's everything you would expect of a mid-priced hotel and is very conveniently situated for the New Forest especially is you want to use it as a base to cycle tours and have car enthusiasts within the family!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Formerly a Georgian Dower House of the Notherwood Estate, the Forest Lodge Hotel blends historical charm and contemporary style with warm hospitality. Located just minutes from Lyndhurst and the beautiful New Forest, our boutique hotel is the perfect destination for weekend getaways, family breaks, wedding celebrations, corporate meetings and events. Family-friendly doesn't just mean the kids, we welcome dogs too. With comfy, well appointed rooms featuring great amenities, we're ideal for swift overnight stays and long, indulgent breaks. Stroll into Lyndhurst and hit the boutiques, explore the beautiful New Forest surroundings, relax in our bars and dine well in the award-winning Glasshouse Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Forest Lodge Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Forest Lodge Hotel Lyndhurst
- Best Western Lyndhurst
- Lyndhurst Best Western
- Best Western Forest Hotel
- Forest Lodge Hotel Lyndhurst, New Forest