“Basically good but some avoidable failings”
Review of Forest Lodge Hotel

Forest Lodge Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Lyndhurst
Reviewed 2 March 2013

We were able to stay here owing to an offer which made the value acceptable - I would not pay full rate on any account. Our welcome was fine and although our twin room had been set as a double, the receptionist did exactly the right thing and had the room altered straight away and gave us a tray of tea while we waited. The pool is nice although for what is quite a large pool for a hotel, the changing rooms are very small but there were plenty of towels etc.
Dinner in the Glass House Restaurant went from very good to acceptable over the 4 days we were there. I wondered if the chef had taken a couple of nights off as the choice and quality of the food was really nice on days 1 and 2 and a bit mediocre on the other 2 days. Our meals took about 2 hours overall - certainly plenty of time for the courses to arrive then go down! Our package included the TdH dinner fortunately. The a La Carte would have been expensive with a capital E - many main dishes were well over £20 and the veg were extra! Question. Why do such restaurants while serving generally high quality food prove so stingy with the vegetables? Anyway, the three choices on the first two nights were really nice but after then were OK but less exciting. Room service was fine and on the occasions when they forgot to replenish something, reception were quick to help.
Things unfortunately went a bit wrong on the last evening. Firstly, I went for a swim and, as the notice by the pool says, if swimming alone, use the emergency phone to tell reception. Trouble was on this occasion I could not raise a reply for a good 7 minutes having let the phone ring until the answerphone cut in the same number of times. I did point out that this was totally unacceptable. Just suppose I had found someone in the pool unconcious, that kind of delay can make a fatal difference but whoever was on recption that day (not the really helpful people that were on duty on the other days) really did not appreciate the seriousness of this.
Later, at dinner I almost choked on a piece of string that had been left in my meat and the best the maitre d could come up with was "I'll tell him" presumably referring to the chef. On nights 1 and 2 there were different staff covering the restaurant who could not do enough but the 'main guy' on nights 3 and 4 I found aloof and while polite enough exuded an aura of superiority that made you feel almost uncomfortable. He certainly failed big time. If he had offered us a complimentary coffee or something, it may have communicated at least some slight remorse for nearly choking me. The rather off-handed receptionist was still on duty so I felt that complaint there would also have been a waste of time. I went to bed very unsatisfied.
Breakfast is another area where this hotel, part of a group of four has let standards slip over a few years. Whilst what you get is generally of good quality, the range is much reduced and whereas the cooked course was part of your B&B, now you get 5 items and anything else is 50p per item extra! Considering the standard room rate is on a par with many hotels in the Hilton chain, the breakfast is nothing approaching the Hiiton Breakfast which to me is a benchmark of a good breakfast. Expecting guests to pay 50p's for every little item over a basic minimum is extremely petty, stingy and devalues what should be a really great experience.
The final avoidable error is that this hotel (like others in its group have previously) totally failed to respond to the guest questionnaire I always take the time to complete. It is the loss of the other three if they fail to address their guest concerns but Forest Lodge also displays the Best Western Badge and should adhere to their (higher) standards. I do receive feedback from other Best Westerns when I stay and complete their form including when giving a 5 star rating. The New Forest Hotel Group do have 4 nice hotels in the New Forest and just a little more care in responding to their guests at the time of afterwards would pay dividends.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Vinylman101
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review following your recent stay at the Forest Lodge Hotel. We appreciate guests feedback and I will ensure all your comments are fully investigated and dealt with appropriately. I am sorry that you had not had a response to your questionnaire at the time of writing this review. I will check our procedures to find out why there was a delay in receiving it here at Head Office. I do hope you have now received your letter.

There are newer reviews for Forest Lodge Hotel

Reviewed 10 February 2013

I revisited with my husband having stayed in the Summer with my friend and in January 2012 with my husband. The restaurant manager was again very attentive, the room just gorgeous and the stay a true break. I thoroughly recommend this hotel and its proximity to lovely walks and attractions. We went into Southampton to see a show on the Saturday evening and, although we couldn't eat in the restaurant becuase their first service was 6.30, we wre advised we culd use our dinner meal allowance with the bar meals which started at 6pm - the food was excellent.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I was transfered to the Forest Lodge in Lyndhurst, as the sister hotel in Brockenhurst had shut for some emergency work to be carried out. I arrived at 2.00p.m. to check into a small room which adequate for an overnight stay. The floor creaked at every step! Hot water took well over 7 minutes to finally appear through the bathroom taps. Breakfast choices Self service) were Cornflake crumbs, an unidentifiable cereal or something as equally unappetising. Orange, grapefruit of tomato juices were standard. I declined a fried breakfast (preference) but the toast rack of three burnt slices of toast (I was the second person into breakfast!) was the best! The room's temperature was stifling, with the radiator set to maximum. Although -3 degrees outside it was probably close to 30 degrees in the room. A boulder for a pillow would have been more comfortable. The row between the night porter and a receptionist in the morning was the most entertaining part of the visit. Needs a major refurbishment for sure and some pride put back into a well-located spot.

Room Tip: Good luck!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

We are concerned that this review may not be for the Forest Lodge Hotel, as we do not have a sister hotel in Brockenhurst and we don’t have Night Porters at our hotels? However, if this is a valid review for us then we’d like to thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us and will ensure your comments are further investigated by the general manager.

Reviewed 13 January 2013

We stayed here in January, which is obviously a quieter time for the staff, but we could not fault anything. All the staff including reception, bar, catering we're all very friendly and couldn't do enough for you. The double rooms are a good size and the family room was excellent with plenty of room for a travel cot. The breakfast was always lovely and always hot and we were never rushed. Breakfast is also served until 10am so no rushing out of your room. The swimming pool and sauna were also great for relaxing in the afternoon. The hotel is in a good location with short drives to Burley and the surrounding area.

Room Tip: Call the reception staff and ask for a family room if needed before you get there.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 January 2013

First impressions were excellent and the receptionist was very friendly and cheerful once she had finished her phone conversation. She did apologise for the wait though. Our room was very pleasant and the bathrrom was really nice. Our disappointment came from the 2AA rossette restaurant.
Very limited Table d Hote, if you didnt like duck or bream you had little else to choose from. As quoted in a previous review, £25.00 would only allow you 2 courses on the A la Catre menu and even then you would probably have to pay extra for the Vegetables.
We elected to eat from the bar menu in the Glasshouse restaurant in the end. Service was slow, with only 3 other people there when we sat down, it took nearly 20 minutes to get our starters. The food when it came was well presented, but not much of it. Whilst we appreciate that a small menu in this day and age is necessary, more thought should be given to what is being offered.
The Table d Hote had a choice of 3 starters, mains and desserts. Starters consisited of either Root vegetable soup or Quails egg Turine or Root vegetable al la Greque. 2 lots of root vegetable on one course? No imagination on that one.
Breakfast was OK though there was a rotten apple on the fruit plate, which rather limited my tatse buds.
The swimming pool was very nice, though the water was a bit chilly and there are only 2 loungers a 2 seat/table set, there is room for more, which would be nice. The Sauna was not working/or closed though which was a bit of a disappointment.
We had said before we ate that we would visit this hotel again but after that meal it will be quite a while.

Room Tip: There are plenty of restaurant in Lyndhurst, so if you cannot find anything on the menu that you lik...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aitchraz

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the Forest Lodge Hotel. I will ensure your comments regarding the food are discussed further with our executive head chef and restaurant manager.

Reviewed 4 January 2013

went here for christmas party, bedroom was small, function well, including my wife & i, there was only another 20 people in across two other groups. kept awake alnight by constant droning noise which was reported to reception in morning and were offered a 10% discount = £6.00 well unbelievable. won't recommend this hotel and won't be going back

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2013

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you were disturbed during the night and will ensure the Maintenance Team investigate this further.

Reviewed 27 December 2012

This must be our fourth stay at the hotel, and it remains consistently excellent. The staff were efficient at check-in/out and seemed genuinely happy to help us enjoy our stay.

The room was simply perfect. A huge, soft, inviting four-poster bed meant a wonderful night's sleep, and the in-room refreshments were up to the usual high quality. A neat feature we discovered is that the TVs in the rooms are volume-limited so that guests can't suffer 'that noisy TV in the next room': a thoughtful touch which really shows their attention to detail in creating a peaceful, tranquil environment for guests.

We didn't use the swimming pool or sauna this time but it all seemed to be up and running, and in use by other guests.

Dinner... We've eaten at the Glasshouse restaurant on a number of occasions now and I am always impressed at the quality of the service, the presentation of the dishes and of the quality of the meal. The dinner allowance, at £25, is disappointingly not quite enough for three courses from the a la carte menu but the fully-inclusive table d'hôte menu had more than enough choice.

Breakfast was served in the Glasshouse restaurant on this stay, and the full English breakfast was just what we needed for a day's walking around Lyndhurst.

The hotel was a short walk from Lyndhurst itself; the walk took about 5 minutes for a young couple like us but I could envisage a less active couple allowing 15-20 minutes.

Lyndhurst itself is not at its best during the winter, with a number of closed shops and tearooms. However, there's still plenty to do. Visiting in the summer when everything is open means the hustle and bustle of tourists in one of the New Forest's busiest towns, and the attendant traffic woes. That's not the hotel's fault of course!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel have a beautiful view in the morning.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darren H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
The Crown Manor House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Burley
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Forest Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!