“2 day New forest”

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
1  Thank Robert H

Reviewed 29 April 2014

My family and I stayed at this hotel in April over the Bank Holiday period. In total there were 8 of us with two double bedrooms, both with 2 adults and 2 children in each. We had a two night stay in a very comfortable double room with a pull out sofa bed for our two young children. My brother and his wife opted for bunk beds for their children and it was nice to have the choice.
Nice touches like terry robes and slippers awaited us and the rooms were warm and clean. The hotel itself is lovely, quite small and cosy and very peaceful at night which was great with young children. It has a lovely fair sized swimming pool which our children really made the most of and the grounds and location were also perfect as only a short drive away from the beautiful town of Christchurch and obviously Bournemouth.
My main gripes were with the restaurant. There was one head waiter who very obviously knew what he was doing but the rest of the waiting staff were not exactly on the ball. They didn't get our dinner orders right on either night and the food was mediocre when it did arrive. My husband's steak was pretty good but my Thai chicken curry left a lot to be desired. It was an extremely small portion with about 3 pieces of chicken in. On our first morning I ordered scrambled egg for my six year old daughter and asked the waitress to make sure it was well cooked and not 'runny'. When it arrived it was virtually swimming around the plate and was blatantly undercooked. I asked the waitress to take it back and ask them to make sure it was well done at which point she flippantly replied ''if you want it well done, can you ask next time BEFORE it's been cooked!'' - at which point I politely pointed out that I DID actually ask! At which point she huffed off and got someone else to serve us.
In our room they only provided us with one pillow and a single duvet for the children's pull out bed and I had to phone reception three times before they appeared with an extra pillow and a duvet that had no cover on it.
Down by the pool there should have been towels provided in the changing rooms but when we first went in, there was just a huge pile of soaking wet used towels overflowing from the basket onto the floor. My husband rang reception and asked for some clean towels for everyone which appeared after about 30 minutes but they didn't have the thought to actually remove the dirty towels and clean up! These are small things that niggled us but in no way did they ruin our stay. Overall, the hotel and our stay in general was good but I have to give it an 'Average' score as I don't think it warrants a 'Very Good' score. They just need to tweak their customer service and be a bit more on the ball and maybe invest in some decent staff training in the restaurant.

Room Tip: We had room number 7 which was a lovely room just along from the bar and only 3 - 4 stairs to climb...
2  Thank Sara H
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

I am pleased to read that you overall enjoyed your stay with us at the Forest Lodge Hotel in Lyndhurst. The service received in the restaurant is not our usual level of service, and I am sorry to hear that you were spoken to in this manner. I will discuss these comments with the Head Chef and Restaurant Manager to ensure further staff training is implemented where required. In addition, I will ensure your comments regarding the housekeeping issues are forwarded to the Head Housekeeper for her to investigate further. Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we appreciate guest feedback as it helps us to monitor our service. I do hope you will consider returning to stay in one of our New Forest Hotels in the future.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I'm being generous here with the "Very Good" rating because my wife and i had such a lovely weekend at the Forest Lodge Hotel with 50-odd other members of the Rotary Club of Seaford.
The place was clean and bright and in a very good location at the heart of the New Forest although there were road works right outside when we arruved (unfortunate) And the traffic queue in and out of Lyndhurst is legendary. Our early experience was also a bit unlucky - with the promised afternoon cream tea running out before 4 pm when you would have expected there to be plenty of it with such a big group of chubby people arriving. However, they did give us cakes and biscuits to make amends. Rooms were smallish but neat (there were upgrades to be had or there would have been had not so many Rotarians rocked up) and cleaning service quick and excellent. First night with 50-odd people dining at the same time was a bit of a shambles. Despite a swish-looking a-la-carte restaurant on site, we had limited menu choices in a big, bland room specially set up for us all and clearly the chef was trying too hard with what he had to offer which contained lots of strange sauces and sticky onions and jus's (whatever they are). He should have known we would have all had fairly simple tastes but I noticed very few clean plates going back to the kitchen at the end of a marathon three-hour meal, with the food appearing in fits and starts. This was entirely due to shortage off staff (probably mnean management) and I shgould have smelled a rate when the duty manager of the hotel had to d bar durty on the first night, struggling to cope. Some drinks that were ordered necessitated in him leaving the bar and going to the stock cupboard (even for bottled water0 which caused long queues in the saloon. Service improved as the weekend wore on and and we wer set in a location that provided easy reach to the delights of places like Beaulieu, Lymington, Buckler's Hard and so on. In the evening we were allowed every access to make our own entertainment and a good time was had by all. The hotel has a very nice indoor swimming pool and small sauna - often deserted by other customers. Staff were helpful and nice so the lowest rating would be "Good" but of course TA dioesn't have a "Good" rating. I don't mind being generous and would like to see what the place is like when visited in smaller numbers (say, a couple). We were given book-two-stay-one-night-free vouchers and would be happy to do so if the opportunity arises in the next 6 months.

Room Tip: Upograde to the four-posters if you can
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank piercewilliam991
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed here over the Easter Bank holiday weekend. When we arrived the room was clean and tidy. The day before we left the room had not been vacumed at all, the beds hadn't been made and the taps hadn't been cleaned as there were still toothpaste splashes on them! During our stay the toilet wouldn't flush properly and the water in both the sink and bath took ages to drain out, which is extremely off putting! There were some stains on one of the duvets and I asked if the duvet cover could be changed. The receptionist came up and handed me a cover for me to change rather than for her to volunteer to do it. The staff's knowledge about what to do around the area was very limited and a bit more knowledge would be helpful for visitors. What really surprised us was the quality of the food served at dinner time. It was excellent - gourmet standard. Overall the hotel was a nice place to stay. Walking distance to Lyndhurst village. The staff were helpful and had organised an Easter Egg hunt in the hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
1  Thank TheLondonLady21

I am pleased to read you were overall pleased with your stay, and enjoyed the food served. I will ensure your comments regarding the housekeeping issues are forwarded to the Head Housekeeper so that she can implement further staff training where required. Thank you for taking the time to write this review, and I hope you will return for another visit in the future.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We only spent one night at the hotel, but we were impressed by the fabulous location and charmed by the delightful staff, who went out of their way to welcome us. We had a standard room which was only small, but the bed was very comfortable and we slept very well.
The pool was a good size and there was only one other guest using it at 5.30 when we arrived. Best Western menus take themselves very seriously, but despite the titles, the food was fine and the waitress was happy to fetch us port with the cheese, which was a treat. We will certainly visit the hotel again as it is so ideally placed in the middle of the forest.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bev838
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Recently stayed here to celebrate my sisters birthday,there were 8 of us and we all thoroughly enjoyed our stay,reception staff were very friendly,the rooms were big enough for a family of four and not too hot like so many hotels are! The floorboards are rather creaky and the corridors a bit tired looking but this is not a huge problem.Dinner was very good as was breakfast.

1  Thank Crooky2014
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My wife and I stayed for a two night stay for a little break before the Easter holidays. It was located just outside the town of Lyndhurst, just a few minutes walk away. The staff were very helpful and the rooms had everything we needed. Two small grips, a couple of light bulbs had gone and needed replacing and the noise insulation is not very good. We could hear people in the corridor all the time and the floor boards were very creaky. We found that there were lots of stairs to negotiate as it seemed that we always had top walk over the kitchen so had to go up and down stairs on the same route!
The food was as expected in this type of hotel. We did have to wait some time one afternoon when we ordered coffee on the verandah but overall it did us fine. The swimming pool was a plus as was the internet connection.
Beware, they do have weddings and functions here and although we didn't experience any whilst we were there, I imagine it could be noisy if one was being held there.

Room Tip: As far away from the function room as possible.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jonathan W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
The Crown Manor House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Burley
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Forest Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!