All reviews swimming pool glasshouse restaurant cellar bar red letter glass house bunk beds family room peppa pig world lovely hotel booked this hotel breakfast and dinner paultons park waterloo arms duty manager four poster both nights short stroll
Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

we recently stated at forest lodge for our wedding we arrived on the afternoon before booked into the bridal suite , the room itself is big enough to get hair and make up done by professionals and not feel cramped id say the only thing that was disappointing were small details like the table chair leather has worn away and they had missed a few areas of dust but to be fair these things are minor (i always bring detol wipes no matter where we go) .
The hotel set up the main room for our ceremony which looked lovely we had charlotte as wedding events manager who did everything i asked ,once we were married we had some photos around the grounds guests had use of the bar and then the wedding meal followed they did an excellent job with the decor and food was really good .

we had a evening Do with a dj which we arranged it all went smoothly ,hotel provided the buffet which again went down a treat .

i think this hotel is great for weddings as its good location .

hopefully it will get some money spent on the minor things but to be honest these things didn't effect our stay but as its not cheap maybe should be looked into .

Trip type: Travelled with family
Laura G, Manager at Forest Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2018

Dear hayley282,

Thank you for reviewing your wedding with us and I am glad that you had such a lovely wedding day. You have given some great constructive feedback that we will be looking into but I am happy that overall your wedding day and stay with us lived up to expectation.

Reviewed 25 May 2018

This is our ninth stay at Forest Lodge for our annual cousins get together. Our review in 2014 was a "5" and that standard has been maintained for the past 3 visits. This year it appears that standards are slipping and we identified three opporunities for improvement during our stay. We discussed those on check out, before leaving, and were assured they would be addressed. The hotel is still a very good 3 star and dining in The Glasshouse is always a pleasure, great food well cooked with excellent presentation. The breakfasts did not seem as generous this year, still adequate, but the move to jars for preserves limits choice - I miss my honey for the toast!

• Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Martin_Joan,

Thank you for taking the time to feedback about your stay with us, I am pleased to read that this was your 9th stay with us! As you mentioned the Reception team took all details down about the niggles that you had during your stay and rest assured that these points have been addressed. We now have honey back on the breakfast buffet!
I hope that we will see you again next year.

Reviewed 24 May 2018 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights and enjoyed the stay but could have scored higher if breakfast was better.
Room lovely and large towels in bathroom.Had everything you needed for a nice stay.
Staff we dealt with were all courteous and always said hello or other greeting which was nice.
Pool is fab.Towels provided for you and loved the plastic bags provided to put you wet things in.Was warm clean and a pleasure to swim in.
Breakfast was ok but few issues.Day 1 poached eggs were hard and swimming in water on my husband's plate.Ran out of brown sauce!!!! Budgens or coop down road would sell it .
No wholemeal bread to make toast and no-one around to ask until we had put the white bread in (you toast your own) which was to late as we would not waste the white.
Day 2 my mushroom,you only get 1,was raw and dried up.
The quality of ingredients is good so was a shame and I felt it could easily be addressed as I have seen comments along similar lines.
Would go back as location is brilliant and overall pleasant stay.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear sue s,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We take all guest feedback on board and look to implement changes from the comments that we receive. Please be aware that since your stay with us we have made a number of changes to the breakfast buffet and should you return I feel you will be pleased with the quality that we now provide.

Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

I treated my daughter to afternoon tea at the Forest Lodge Hotel on 22nd April. Having ordered one gluten free tea and one cream free tea, we were served two identical rows of cakes and when I asked which were gluten free, I was told ‘all of them are.’

There were lots of cakes to include two large scones each. I commented that the scones were the best gluten free I had tasted, BUT.... in the early hours of the morning I awoke with severe stomach pains and was quite ill for the next few days.

When I contacted the hotel I was told that the General Manager would be in touch as soon as she could; three weeks later and I am still waiting! Instead I received an email from the chef stating ‘we placed 2 scones on the board for your daughter and some macaroons (gluten free) for yourself’. This was totally incorrect and therefore I called in Environmental Health who have put in place changes to the hotel’s procedures.

After 17 days and several emails, I received an emails from the MD which was non-committal And had no apology for my experience whatsoever. There was an offer of a gluten free tea at a hotel over an hour away but I did not feel comfortable visitng another hotel in the chain.

I cannot begin to understand how any hotel would think the way in which this incident has been dealt with is acceptable.

My daughter and I will certainly not be considering this hotel for her wedding!!!!

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Charlotte B, General Manager at Forest Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2018

Dear Amanda F

We are really sorry that you have felt the need to post this review on us on Trip Advisor. We, as we are sure you do in your business, take any allegations as such very seriously, our Group Executive Chef did respond immediately to you and explained that we were carrying out a full investigation, in fact we had contacted the Environmental Health Officer ourselves, as is our procedure before they had heard from you.

We had the meeting with them and they were satisfied with the results of our investigation and as we hold a 5 out of 5 ‘scores on the doors’ for food hygiene, as we do across our whole group, they made a few minor recommendations to ensure that the guest can easily identify any Gluten free products v’s any other produce served. ie for them not to be served on the same board, at separate ends, which we actioned with immediate effect. And we ourselves have now introduced gluten free flags, again to ensure better communication and insisted that all members of our team, not just those handling food daily, are allergen trained to generally help the awareness of allergens and the potential risks, which our Managing Director did explain in her email.

We assumed that you wouldn’t want to return to the same hotel that you felt had caused your illness and therefore offered you, as a gesture of goodwill, to go to our sister Restaurant & Rooms, Burley Manor at Burley, a 15 min drive away, as they are just launching their new Dairy Free / Gluten Free afternoon tea – an offer which you refused.

With regard to weddings, we can cater for all dietary requirements / allergies and have recently been complimented on our Vegan wedding menu, but understand that under the circumstances you wouldn’t choose us as your preferred venue.

We hope that you have now fully recovered and wish you well.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 7 May 2018

We stayed at this hotel last Saturday/ Sunday night. It is set in a lovely location, right on the doorstep of the forest, but just a five minute walk from the town centre. The is also a very nice local pub, just two minutes walk away. Our room was comfortable and clean, although the shower didn’t have much power to it. We ate in the hotel restaurant on the Saturday evening, and it was a bit too fancy for our liking - £6 for a small sheet of pasta and a small quantity of lobster meat. It really was just one mouthful! My wife had steak for her main course which was very nice. We ate in the local Chinese on the Sunday which was excellent. The hotel has a nice bar and lounge area where we used to call in to for a night cap of coffee and Baileys! The gentleman who ran the bar was excellent and gave great customer service. Breakfast time was a little chaotic at busy times, but the end product was very good with a delicious breakfast. The staff were also very friendly and helpful. Portions aren’t particularly big, but were good enough for us. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and I would certainly recommend this hotel.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Johnparslow,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review from your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us and I will look into our portion sizes coming out of the restaurant.

We hope to welcome you again in the future.
Kind Regards