“Everything we could have imagined & more, wonderful”

The Crown Manor House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Lyndhurst
London
“Everything we could have imagined & more, wonderful”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This was a birthday treat for my partner & it was just a perfect break. The hotel & room were perfect. The dinner that night was lovely & the staff all round were happy & very helpful. I must sound like I've got shares in the hotel! I've not I'm just a very satisfied customer

• Stayed February 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

The Crown Manor House is situated on the High Street in Lyndhurst, so if you want a choice of places for an evening meal then it's perfect as there are several venues within a few hundred yards. The hotel was great. We had the Scarlett Suite, which was a room and separate sitting room. I believe that it was worth while paying extra for this room because it meant that one of us could catch up on some essential work, while the other could keep out the way! The only minor fault is that I brought some ropes along, as I like to be tied up but as the bed wasn't a four poster, I had to go without the ropes this time.

high wycombe
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the crown manor house for a few days simply to relax, and this is exactly what we did. The hotel was clean to a very high standard and the service was beyond expectation. The staff couldn't do enough for you and were polite and very friendly without losing their professionalism. We stayed in the King Rufus Suite and would highly recommend this everyone! We will definitely return to the hotel and look forward to another amazing stay Thankyou everyone for looking after us.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank lorraine h
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Booked this on the Internet at the last minute for a business trip. Had a smaller double room - a club room I think - which was just lovely. Comfy bed, fantastic shower and generally well appointed.

Dinner in the small restaurant was gorgeous - best meal I've had in a hotel restaurant for a very long time. Great food at a reasonable price, in pleasant surroundings with good service. I'm looking forward to breakfast!

Will definitely return when next in the area.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Bournemouth
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My husband and I thought we would re-visit an hotel bar/restaurant where we have eaten before over the past twenty five years, when privately owned by Mr & Mrs Green - before the hotel became a Best Western and which has obviously changed hands more recently. We used to find the menu typical of a country pub in the New Forest, with hot game dishes, casseroles and roasts. It was usually busy and full of charm. Today, Sunday, we called at around 12.45pm to find the bar restaurant completely empty of patrons. We were invited to choose any table we wanted, each being set up for lunch. Considering we were the only people there, it wasn't difficult!

We were handed a menu which consisted of 3 or 4 hot dishes - gammon, fish, pumpkin and burger with the rest mainly sandwiches. My husband chose gammon, egg and chips I also decided that at £10.50 I too would have this. After a few minutes, the waiter/barman (we only saw two staff about throughout) came and apologised for there being only one portion of gammon available and would I care to select an alternative. Reluctantly, I chose the battered fish - priced at £12.50, which I thought was over priced. My husband's meal looked reasonably attractive and the gammon was freshly cooked. My fish dish was another matter entirely. Soon after cutting into the batter, I realised the fish inside was almost cold, giving the impression it had been plunged into hot fat from frozen and was still cold and raw. I pointed out the problem to the waiter, who gave me the option of waiting for another meal to be cooked or an alternative. Meanwhile, my husband was almost through his meal! I ended up deciding on a Caesar Salad with chicken, which arrived some 15 minutes after my husband had finished his meal. By this time, any appetite I might have had had disappeared.

The waiter obviously realised we had had a disastrous experience and did not charge for the salad. However, our lunchtime had been a total disappointment and not one we will ever forget.

Obviously, as an hotel, it would appear to have had some recent glowing praise. As a place to eat for a Sunday lunch, I would certainly give it a miss!

1 Thank anonymousbournemouth
Alison_F_W, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Anonymousbournemouth,

Thank you for your feedback regarding Lunch in our bar&grill, as this helps us strive to achieve the best service levels possible.

I am sorry to learn that you were dissapointed with the fish dish served, and this has been brought to the attention of the Head Chef.

The hotel did have a private party in for Lunch on Sunday, and I apologise that this was the reason why one of the items on the menu was not available, and that a limited menu was in operation.

The dishes on our Lunch menu are changed according to the season, and your valued comments regarding previous dining experiences, will be discussed with the Kitchen team.

I would like to assure you that what you experienced was very much an exception and not the norm, and hope that you will contact me, so that I can personally look after your next booking.
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Due to the awful weather we arrived much later than intended but the hotel staff were fabulous and found us a table in the restaurant. I am so glad they did. Our meal was simply delicious.
The room was small but contained everything we needed for an overnight stay. The bed was very comfortable.
The public areas of the hotel are very impressive. A great feature was the lift, reputed to be the oldest in Europe.
Breakfast was of the buffet style and well cooked .
I would not hesitate to return to the Crown as it is clean, comfortable and great value.

Room Tip: Club doubles are a little cosy, pay a little more for a better room
Brighton
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I booked a 2 night stay in January at the Crown Manor hotel and were pleased with what we found when we arrived (late on a Friday night). Hotel is in a fantastic location in Lyndhurst and looks impressive from the outside. Great car park that was easy to find, secure and free. The bedroom was larger than expected as I'd booked a club room (website advertises them as having limited space). The room was a decent size and was well decorated. The bathroom was very well done and the room was very clean. So you may be wondering why I have rated it as poor? Well unfortunately none of the above matters if the staff are incredibly unfriendly and unfortunately that is what we found. The barman had zero charm or politeness on the first night and on the Saturday after a rather cold night I enquired at reception whether there were blankets in the room, very politely explaining that I had looked for one, I was abruptly informed by the same charmless barman on reception that ' we don't do blankets'. Not being used to such useless comments from people on a hotel reception I was slightly taken a back. I then asked whether I could have another duvet and was looked at with disdain for a while when eventually someone else said that they would bring one to the room. Upon check out on Sunday I did point out to the same barman/receptionist that his attitude was disappointing and hadn't made me feel very welcome. All he uttered was 'ok' . This hotel has some great points and has potential but the staff were charmless, unhelpful and it left my partner and I feeling unwelcome? Staff training in hospitality and how to talk to guests is my advice for management.

Room Tip: Club rooms were adequate size. Offer good value.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Popstraveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
Burley Manor
#1 of 11 in Brockenhurst
Balmer Lawn
Balmer Lawn
#3 of 11 in Brockenhurst

Been to The Crown Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!