“Just lovely”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Lyndhurst
London, United Kingdom
“Just lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

I'm surprised by some of the negative reviews about the Crown Manor. Stayed last night with my other half and the room (220 - a four poster on the third floor) was just lovely. The bed was one of the comfiest I've slept in and the rooms was lovely - tastefully refurbished with a lovely view over the garden.
We were lucky enough to arrive in sunshine and enjoyed a glass of wine in the beautiful garden. The staff were polite and helpful.
Hotel is beautiful - lovely lounge areas and the bar restaurant looked good though we didn't eat there.
Breakfast was good though buffet style and very busy. Choice was fairly limited if you're not an eggs and bacon fan but it was all pretty good.
I'd highly recommend the hotel for a romantic break - we had a lovely time and the room was perfect :-)

Room Tip: four poster on the third floor with a view of the garden was lovely - but no aircon.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank adamae64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Our visit started with a request to change rooms. Initially allocated rm 111, though spotlessly clean, there was an awful smell of drains in the room. We were moved with no fuss to rm 124, another superior deluxe. This was also spotless and was one of the newly refurbished rooms. Lovely, muted but elegant decor, duravit bathroom suite. Cheap fittings created a superficial high class veneer. Still, not badly done though.

Positives:

Good sized room
Nice decor
Decent shower, good water pressure
Absolutely spotlessly clean throughout
Refurb done well

Negatives

Breakfast not good - out of date yoghurts, coffee was not great, overall just so-so.

Staff could be a little friendlier - they weren't rude but not as slick or as obviously pleased to be in their job as those at Limewood, where we ate, for example.

Patchy wifi (free, however, which is a plus).

Cannot review the bar or restaurant as we did not use these.

We would return as overall it was good value.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank CAJLondon
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I don't have particularly high expectations, but I do like value for money, good service and reasonable quality for the price I'm paying.
Not a great experience at Reception - asked to sign booking in form, but not actually signing against anything; just so they had signature. Also had to complete home details, although they had this with booking - they could have explained this better.
We had a smallish room, although OK for price. Fortunately effective double glazing kept traffic noise (it's on the Lyndhurst one way system) at bay. Not great wi-fi.
Breakfast very good, ans staff happy to get different eggs, but not publicised that they do this.
It was the room which least impressed. Staying at an unusually hot time of year, the air con took ages to cool the room. Towels smelt of salt & vinegar crisps - how do they do that?!
Used towels were hung on towel rail and this turned on to dry them - made bathroom very warm.
On second day, room not made up by mid-afternoon - told staff had been busy due to number of change-overs - more staff needed? They offered to do, but we needed to get ready to go out again.
One packet of biscuits for two people??? Mean. Do single room people get half a packet?
Suspected mugs not taken to kitchen to clean, so as usual, washed them on arrival. Day three, room had finally been done, but mugs not at all well washed - confirmed my suspicions that mugs are rinsed out in rooms and used towels used to dry them - not hygienic.
Staff generally were very good; pleasant to deal with; wanting to please - no complaints there.
Not what I expect of a 4* hotel.
Think we could have chosen better accommodation in the town. Won't return here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Fareham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

My boyfriend booked a weekend away here as a surprise for me. At such short notice to when we were going, we got one of the smallest rooms which was still over £150.
It was very cute despite the size, and being used to staying in huge rooms in other hotels.
However, the decor was dated and the lamp and walls were not clean. It needs redecorating!
Breakfast was nice, self service which I think is a rip off for the price!
Not sure I would stay here again if I was to re visit the new forest.

• Stayed June 2014
Newbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Me and my fiance chose to spend a night here for our engagement present and were pleasently suprised! I had some concerns about the location being on the main road out of Lyndhurst however that should not put people off as it is not a part where cars are travelling at any great speed and you hardly notice the road really.
On checking in we were told about the ancient lift, argued to be the oldest in europe, and so gave it a go up to our room! Two adults and a small holdall bag pretty much filled the creaky lift and as such its probably not something I would use on every journey! It was an experience all the same though!
We had a super deluxe room that overlooked the pretty courtyard. The room had a great combination of historical charachter mixed with modern decor, in particular a briliant bathroom and we were proivided with a fan for the room as the weather was pretty humid!
The hotel has great access to the town with the New Forest Museum only a 5 minute walk away, along with acess to the forest and all it's wildflife! We decided to eat dinner in the hotel as there are only a handful of other pubs/restaurants in the high street and the claim of having Lyndhurst's best Steak was a clincher for me! We were not disapointed, the rib-eye steak was beautifully cooked and at reasonable price too at under £20. The service staff in the restauraunt were extremely polite and were quick to tend to any requests.
The buffet breakfast in the morning was equally very good with a big selection of hot and continental breakfasts with an excellent waiter service for hot drinks. It would perhaps of been nice to have a few more tables outside in the courtyard for breakfast but it semmed that they tended to be claimed by the smokers. Nevertheless, the service was quick and enabled us to be out to explore the rest of our day.
Overall a great hotel for those looking to explore the New Forest & South Coast in a quiet location. The hotel is excellently decorated but stil keeps it's charm and charachter. The staff are extremely helpful and are only too pleased to advise things to do and see in the local area. Definitely worth recommending!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nick R
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Two night stop, very hot days but fan in a clean room, nice touch. Good English breakfast & one night used restaurant with good food & service.

All polite staff throughout, old hotel with lot of character including quaint lift.

Ideally located with easy on site parking. Recommended.

• Stayed July 2014
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I booked the Scarlett Suite as a treat and also as it had a separate living space. The worst mistake of any hotel booking I've ever made. The room is in the attic, so was stuffy and so incredibly hot. The 2 windows literally opened 1cm and not anymore. The main bed was in a space with no windows and no ventilation. There is no air con and one a summers day - it was close to 27 degrees inside. I had to ask the manager several times to look at opening the windows wider. He said he would look into it. After dinner, still no progress. I asked a further three times when in the end, I advised we could not possibly sleep in the room and would leave. He said we would still have to pay for the room to which I refused. All I wanted was for the windows to OPEN!!! That is all. He just had to unscrew the latch that kept it at a 1cm gap.

Finally, he did it, but then he only did one window. I had to phone again to have the other window done. He said I also had to take responsibility should the windows close from the wind and break.

The worst stay I've ever had. We were with another two families and their rooms had air con. Surprisingly the most expensive room (ours!) did not.

The food was good in the restaurant, service slightly slow, but overall ok.

Room Tip: Don't book the Scarlett Suite. Ask to check that your room has air con or windows that open ALL...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank StarGirlLondon
Alison_F_W, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear StarGirlLondon,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback, regarding your recent stay at The Crown Manor House Hotel.

I apologise for the issue you experienced when requesting the limiters on the windows to be adjusted, as it appears that on this occasion you did not receive our normally high standard of customer care.

I hope you can appreciate that the temperatures being reached recently, have been exceptional, and in order to try and ensure the comfort of our guests, extra fans were placed in rooms, and curtains closed during the day, to keep them cool.

I would like to assure you that the installation of air conditioning in this room is being investigated, but due to the historical nature of the hotel, this has to comply with listed building regulations.

I hope that you will choose to stay with us on a future occasion, in order to allow us the opportunity of restoring your faith in the hotel, and as such please do not hesitate to contact me, so that I can personally look after your reservation.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
Lime Wood Hotel
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in New Milton
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,726 reviews

Been to The Crown Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!