“Don't stay here if you want to sleep!!!!”

The Crown Manor House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Lyndhurst
Reviewed 2 September 2007

Unlike other posters here - we found nothing about The Crown at Lyndhurst to praise!!!! Everything creeks and I mean everything, from opening the wardrobe door to the bathroom door, the bed-head was insecure and constantly banged against the wall, there was "nasty" woodchip wallpaper used as draw liners! unbelievable and basically just walking up and down the room , gave creak, creak, creak. We had a room overlooking what I can only term as one of the busiest thoroughfares in southern england. Lyndhurst is a village and the amount of traffic that goes through on the one way system is unbelievable. The secondary glazing on the windows is therefore totally ineffective. We were woken each morning at 7am (including Sunday!) so no sleep there! When we closed the windows trying to get some sleep, there was no air conditioning either. We could hear every step taken by the guests in the room upstairs, creaking again. We were unable to turn off the boiling hot towel rail in the bathroom, which made the room very warm indeed. Breakfast was a total disaster - mediocre food kept warm, tables so close to the self service area - that I would actually call to mind the safety aspects of guests carrying occasionally hot food pushing past your table. Ummmm, not exactly 3 Star hotel, in my opinion, The staff, I found, to be pleasant at best and downright dis-interested most of the time. The whole Hotel needs gutting and significant refurbishment needs to take place in order to stop the creaking. We shall not be returning to this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rapunzal2
Write a ReviewReviews (1,416)

Reviewed 29 June 2007

I stayed at the Crown last week for a wedding. The room was very comfortable. Clean, tidy, comfortable and had a good sized bathroom and excellent shower. The decor in the room was in keeping with what I would expect in a country hotel. The room did lack the benefit of a ceiling fan or aircon, but the hotel also provided the convenience of WiFi, tv and 24 hour room service.

It is true to say that the public areas are a bit overdue for refurbishement with some of the carpets very worn and in need of replacement, and again could do with aircon or fans, but the hotel was spotlessly clean and did not have cobwebs on the light fittngs as a trip to the Ritz in London revealed recently!!

The food was excellent. The evening meal one of the nicest I have experienced in a long time, and trust me I like my food. I had beef which was excellent. The breakfast was also excellent with an extensive choice and unlimited quantity and friendly and efficient waiting staff, for which nothing was too much trouble.

I could not fault the service from any of the staff, including management, chambermaids, serving staff etc. Nothing was too much trouble. I requested some extra towels and they were in my room within 5 minutes. At the wedding breakfast staff were both efficient and courteous. They were discreet and at times I forgot they were there, but when I needed something there was always someone to hand to assist.

Certainly worth a visit so you can make up your own mind.

• Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank Jacslk
Reviewed 27 June 2007

I have always found a warm friendly welcome when I have stayed at this quaint old hotel, yes some of the floors and doors do creak a little bit but I prefer that to the modern plastic hotels that are lifeless. The quality of the food has always been good and the service excellent. Many of the guests who like me are on regular business trips in the area return time after time . Over the years I have stayed at many hotels both home and abroad and in my opinion The Crown has been up there with the best , it is clean and tidy and in a lovely setting.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Stavross
Reviewed 28 May 2007

probably the worst experience i have ever had on every level - the hotel stank of stale bacon fat, the bedroom was freezing cold through the night with no extra blankets provided and the bathroom had mold in the shower - and for the bargain price of £120 a night - there is nothing good that i can say about this hotel except the carpark is a good size! please stay somewhere else if you are visiting this beautiful part of the world and do not book in to stay here!

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cvl333
Reviewed 7 January 2007

I agree with other comments the staff where good and they made the difference. E.G. we asked if they knew somewhere we could watch football match on TV in town but they didn’t so offered us one of their rooms. They said they will put a TV and chairs in the room and that it was next to the bar if we wanted a drink!

The hotel has an old charm with wood panelled rooms, large fire places and it’s clean throughout. It does seem to be scared of a paint brush and would be improved with a updating of the décor.

Our room was a good size but when booking we asked for a quiet room but where placed above the noisy disco!

The evening meal was a disappointment. The terrine starters where not very good and one person would not eat them. They missed one of the two items mentioned on the menu and we didn’t get the bread we had been told would be with them until we asked for a second time. The main meals were a little better with 1 out of the 3 happy. Of the 2 one said their lamb was over cooked so it was hard to cut and the other had stroganoff that didn’t taste of stroganoff. Neither of us could tell what the carrots tasted of but it was not carrot! Scores of 3 - 5 out of 10 for the meals.

They do allow dogs which was the main reason for us booking it. In summary it is 50:50 if we would stay again. If we did we would specify the room we wanted and not eat there but would have a drink in the bar as the staff as very good!

• Stayed: January 2007
3  Thank This_field_is_daft
Reviewed 26 September 2006

We stayed for the weekend at the Crown in late June.

While we werent actually at the hotel very much, when we were we were met with personal and friendly staff at the bar and reception.

After we checked out on the Sunday, we struggled to find somewhere in Lyndhurst to find somewhere to watch the Wimbledon Tennis final and eat at the same time. We went back to the hotel and the staff opened up a private room for us with a TV in it, and brought us sandwiches.... this is after we had checked out.

It rounded off our stay very well.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skilts
Reviewed 10 October 2005

Lyndhurst in a beautiful spot. Needing a place to stay before a sojourn to Portsmouth we booked a late room at The Crown. I telephoned ahead and managed to upgrade to a superior room at no extra cost. I also asked if they were offering an a la carte menu for dinner, at what was the height of the corporate Christmas party season - the answer was yes.

The reality was a little different and put a bit of a dampener on the whole thing. I'd rather they'd have been honest a said that the A la Carte menu, was also the Christmas party menu.

Rooms are OK, but a little faded. For the price of an English hotel room these days I do expect a bit more.

• Stayed: December 2004
1  Thank fortune82
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
Burley Manor
#3 of 7 in Lymington
Forest Lodge Hotel
Forest Lodge Hotel
#4 of 8 in Lyndhurst

Been to The Crown Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!