“Very Good facilities, excellent staff, let down by the traffic noise!”

Travelodge Stoney Cross Lyndhurst
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Lyndhurst
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The problem is the location on the side of the A31 which is a busy main road 24 hours a day. The Hotel has been refurbished and they have done their best to reduce the traffic noise with what appears to be quadruple glazing.

As a result of the noise, I had very little sleep on the first night, although I slept better the second night - either I was use to the noise or I was more tired from lack of sleep the first night!

Apart from that, the actual room is very good. Plenty of space, comfortable bedding, my only critiscism was very poor toiletries in the bathroom.

The Little Chef restaurant next door is very poor. I am not sure if it is part of the same company. I didn't eat dinner in the Little Chef but due to the location you are really forced to have breakfast their. Expect cold plates, luke warm food, dated atmosphere and expensive.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the back if you can which is further away from the road. Although I understa...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I was unsure about how much noise to expect at this travelodge but the road noise was a lot. To open a window for ventilation made it worse. Air conditioning is needed. Especially as we was informed we was on the quiet side!! Rooms are refurbished ans theres ample parking. No plug sockets near mirrors for ladies wanting to dry hair etc. Only food available is little chef so well worth driving into brokenhurst or lyndhurst itself to get food.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Its so nice to find a place that is very clean, with spacious rooms and an ideal location for visiting the New Forest, all at such reasonable prices. The staff were always smiling, friendly and helpful as well. Although it is close to a busy road we did not notice any problem with traffic noise, perhaps aim to get rooms not facing the road to ensure no traffic noise. The beds were very comfortable, everywhere seemed fresh and clean. We didnt bother with the breakfast, which didnt seem good value for money. There is a Little Chef next door if you want to eat there (the breakfast we had there was of a good standard and nicely cooked) and also a petrol station with teas, coffees, snacks if you want them. There are lovely villages around with great cafes and pubs to choose from (if you have a car). Its right on the edge of the Forest. I would certainly use this hotel for a visit to the area.

Room Tip: ask for rooms that do not face the main road if you want to be sure to avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I have used this Travelodge for the last few years as it is very convenient for the New Forest and Beaulieu, while being good value.

The hotel had been renovated since my last visit. While I would never say it was dirty before, it certainly looked tired in places. It is now a lot smarter, new furniture, very good comfortable bed, new bathroom and felt generally welcoming.

The room was against the main road, which concerned me a little, as I live on a quiet cul de sac, and so have very little road noise. I can honestly say that the road did not bother me at all, and I slept soundly.

There is a fairly large free car park, which I appreciate, I will not use hotels that charge for parking. There is an attached little chef, but I did not use this, making my own arrangements

The staff were friendly and helpful and I have no complaints at all. I will be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ChrisBromley
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This Travelodge is surely one of the best, its position on the main A35 in the New Forest between Southampton and Bournemouth provides great access to many Local attractions.
Being on the Main A35 you would think there would be noise from the road, but it is incredibly quiet in the rooms , in fact more quiet than most normal hotel rooms i have stayed in.(Think it is quadruple glazed of something)
The staff are amazingly welcoming and helpful, honestly this has got to be one of the best travelodges in the country and i have stayed in many, I just cant praise this one enough.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This must be by far the best travelodge I have stayed at. Staff very welcoming, rooms surprisingly spacious and well decorated. Very clean and comfortable. Only negative is the proximity to the main road but we had a room at the front overlooking the road and although you could hear the traffic it wasn't bothersome. So tired when we arrived we reluctantly decided to eat at the little chef , and again surprisingly good. Fast efficient service and the best little chef food I've had in ages. It's still little chef food but tasty , freshly prepared and edible ! Having decided I would never eat in one again , I was surprised !
Would definitely recommend but needs advance booking according to receptionist as fills up quickly especially at peak times. As we had book on a special rate it was a great bargain !

Room Tip: Maybe ask for one at rear of hotel away from traffic.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Having stayed in many travelodges throughout the country we were pleasantly surprised by this re-furbished one. The bed and pillows were great. It would have been great had we had enough quiet to actually get some sleep. The first room was under two huge extractor fans eventually we were moved to one where the traffic noise was non-stop causing us to sleep only for a couple of hours a night

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
2  Thank Lesley P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
The Crown Manor House Hotel
#6 of 8 in Lyndhurst
Penny Farthing Hotel
Penny Farthing Hotel
#5 of 8 in Lyndhurst

Been to Travelodge Stoney Cross Lyndhurst? Share your experiences!