“Cosy and comfortable” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Lyndhurst
Kent
“Cosy and comfortable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2008

This is one of a number of hotels and guest houses on the road from Southampton to Lyndhurst. I know some people have commented on road noise at this hotel, but this is the most set back of this clutch of hotels. The centre of Lyndhurst seemed quite trafficky too, so I'm not sure it would be any quieter in the village centre. My room was at the side and I wasn't aware of any road noise.

Most of the hotel, including my room, was very cosy and traditional (in my opinion, a nice contrast with so many of the bland, uniform hotels out there) but there was a stylish conservatory / small lounge at the front.

The staff were welcoming and helpful. The big thing for me was that staff gave me the access key to use the hotel's wireless network, even though this was not an advertised service.

I stayed for one night in a 'small double' room - lovely for one person, and didn't feel cramped at all. The room was very comfortable and immaculately clean.

Breakfast was excellent - cafetiere coffee and lots of lovely-sounding choices (I had delicious smoked salmon and scrambled eggs). I impressed with the locally sourcing of breakfast too - and also with the fair trade tea, coffee and sugar in the room (nice surprise in a 'traditonal' country hotel).

It was a 5-10 minute walk into Lyndhurst - along the main road, but still lovely with the Forest (and ponies) on the other side of the road from the hotel.

Finally, I thought the price I paid was fair for the quality of hotel, and convenient location, especially given that it is in a popular tourist destination.

• Liked — Lovely breakfast
  • Disliked — Nothing really disliked
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Oxford UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2008

My Wife and I arrived at lunchtime as going to a wedding nearby.
Paul the owner could see we were in a hurry, signed us in, took our bags, gave us the keys and we were off within 3 minutes.
Lovely comfortable bed, with a great whirlpool bath - just what we needed after a long day.
Perfect full english breakfast- locally sourced.
Really good staff at the hotel - work as a team and gave that relaxed feel- We were even dropped off by Paul to collect our car from the wedding venue.
Couldn't give high enough praise for this place in a beautiful part of the world, and it was really well priced .

• Liked — location, personal touch, value, comfortable
  • Disliked — all good
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
Highcliffe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2008

Myself and a colleague had a very late arrival, but the staff were very attentive. Room was excellent and the breakfast first class. I travel a lot on business and I must say that this hotel deserves more stars.

Well done all. Great service at a very realistic price. Comfy beds too..!!

• Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2008

Rang the day before for a price and quoted a very reasonable one. Expected a small room as I was alone, but had a good room with King Size bed, sofa, spa bath and shower. Room was spotless and modern.
Breakfast was very good indeed, so I will be back if they have room.
All in all excellent value for money.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
Maidstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2007

My wife and I took our German Shepherd Dog, 'Kira', with us for a short break in the New Forest and chose Ormonde House as it described itself as 'dog friendly'. That was certainly the case. There were towels and a water bowl by the front door for your pet's refreshment and to wipe those muddy paws. Although right on the main road, traffic noise was not a great issue and the bonus was being able to walk directly over the road to the forest and moor. All the staff were excellent, friendly, helpful and attentive (including small treats for Kira). The breakfast was just superb. If there was a down side, it was purely cosmetic. The building and rooms could do with some decorating but this is only an observation, not a criticism. All in all, we had a very pleasant and relaxing time at Ormonde House, for a very reasonable price (a four nights for the price of three offer). The Ritz or Savoy it isn't, but still well recommended.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
Bedford, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2006

We booked the hotel over the telphone, and found absolulely no comparison between the prices offered over the telephone with those offered on the Internet, but needless to say it was a great price. On arrival check in was quick, the staff very friendly, and a first great impression. The room as promised was spacious, huge beds, large bathroom, sofa, tv, hot tray and other furnishings and soft lighting to create a stylish and comfortable room. The breakfast was fanastic, and the house special being scrambled egg on bagel with salmon a welcome start to the day being a healthy alternative to the full english they also offer. From the hotel, its literally across the road to be in new forest teritory with wild horses, cattle and awesome scenery. A brisk walk into town five minutes away, are great shops, good pubs, and plenty of restaurants.

Overall the hotel was everything it promises to be, great staff, comfortable large rooms, and I would have to state considerably better than many larger hotels I have stayed in. Small hotel, but no compromises.

My only minor complaint was the dinner, which while acceptable, and good service, you have to book your choice of food several hours earlier. Considering its restaurant prices, it would have been great to receive a restaurant service where you can choose at the time of eating, and not place your order five hours in advance.

That said, I would certainly choose to stay at this hotel again, as there hospitality for both us and our golden retreiver was exceptional. Top marks

• Liked — Allround hotel experience and comfort
  • Disliked — Dinner in the evenings
  • Tips/Secrets — Dont pre-book dinner package, decide on the day and what you fancy
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SteveDirect
Woking, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2006

I booked to stay here for one night over the phone the lady was very nice as they normally make you book a two night at the weekend. We arrived at the hotel and entered into the reception area and was met by a friendly young girl who asked us to sign in and took us to our room, as we were not staying in the main hotel but in one of the rooms adjacent to the the hotel. We were shown in and told about the breakfast items left in the self contained room/lodge. Quickly turned up the heating as it was pretty cold and it soon warmed up. The bathroom was big and had a jaccuzi bath and power shower. Upon investigation my partner was disappointed that for the breakfast we were left a sliced loaf of bread, jams and yogurts, milk and concerntrated orange juice. I was told on the telephone when booking that a continenal breakfast would be left in our room. No where to be seen was any croissants, danishes etc and my partner thought that they would be delivered all nice and fresh the next morning.

We showered and changed as we were having a meal at Prezzo in Lyndhurst the walk into town is about 10 minutes if you walk fast. The meal was very nice in Prezzo but the service not the best.

We walked back to our hotel and watched a bit of telly but all you could hear was the boiler coming on and off or the fridge doing the same thing! Traffic not to bad noise wise.

Disappointed next morning not to find our fresh croissants and danishes! Had a cup of tea and some toast, showered and left. The room was a good size and had a sofa bed, shame about the noisey white goods.

I love the New Forest and Lyndhurst has a good selection of old fashion shops for sweets and nic naks to buy.

• Liked — The fact that there was not a bedroom above me.
  • Disliked — The continental breakfast
  • Tips/Secrets — Take your own croissants and danishes!
Stayed November 2006
3 Thank TippyTumbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
The Crown Manor House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Beaulieu
Penny Farthing Hotel
Penny Farthing Hotel
#5 of 8 in Lyndhurst

Been to Ormonde House Hotel? Share your experiences!