Ormonde House Hotel
Lime Wood Hotel(Lyndhurst)
The White Rabbit(Lyndhurst)
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
All reviewswhirlpool bathdog friendly hotelgroupon dealnew forestgarden suitemuddy pawsfresh milktop floorbreakfast was excellentduck eggcompliments to the chefshort breakan evening mealenjoyable staygood sizehuge bedeach morning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 March 2008

This is one of a number of hotels and guest houses on the road from Southampton to Lyndhurst. I know some people have commented on road noise at this hotel, but this is the most set back of this clutch of hotels. The centre of Lyndhurst seemed quite trafficky too, so I'm not sure it would be any quieter in the village centre. My room was at the side and I wasn't aware of any road noise.

Most of the hotel, including my room, was very cosy and traditional (in my opinion, a nice contrast with so many of the bland, uniform hotels out there) but there was a stylish conservatory / small lounge at the front.

The staff were welcoming and helpful. The big thing for me was that staff gave me the access key to use the hotel's wireless network, even though this was not an advertised service.

I stayed for one night in a 'small double' room - lovely for one person, and didn't feel cramped at all. The room was very comfortable and immaculately clean.

Breakfast was excellent - cafetiere coffee and lots of lovely-sounding choices (I had delicious smoked salmon and scrambled eggs). I impressed with the locally sourcing of breakfast too - and also with the fair trade tea, coffee and sugar in the room (nice surprise in a 'traditonal' country hotel).

It was a 5-10 minute walk into Lyndhurst - along the main road, but still lovely with the Forest (and ponies) on the other side of the road from the hotel.

Finally, I thought the price I paid was fair for the quality of hotel, and convenient location, especially given that it is in a popular tourist destination.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 March 2008

My Wife and I arrived at lunchtime as going to a wedding nearby.
Paul the owner could see we were in a hurry, signed us in, took our bags, gave us the keys and we were off within 3 minutes.
Lovely comfortable bed, with a great whirlpool bath - just what we needed after a long day.
Perfect full english breakfast- locally sourced.
Really good staff at the hotel - work as a team and gave that relaxed feel- We were even dropped off by Paul to collect our car from the wedding venue.
Couldn't give high enough praise for this place in a beautiful part of the world, and it was really well priced .

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2008

Myself and a colleague had a very late arrival, but the staff were very attentive. Room was excellent and the breakfast first class. I travel a lot on business and I must say that this hotel deserves more stars.

Well done all. Great service at a very realistic price. Comfy beds too..!!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 February 2008

Rang the day before for a price and quoted a very reasonable one. Expected a small room as I was alone, but had a good room with King Size bed, sofa, spa bath and shower. Room was spotless and modern.
Breakfast was very good indeed, so I will be back if they have room.
All in all excellent value for money.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 August 2007

My wife and I took our German Shepherd Dog, 'Kira', with us for a short break in the New Forest and chose Ormonde House as it described itself as 'dog friendly'. That was certainly the case. There were towels and a water bowl by the front door for your pet's refreshment and to wipe those muddy paws. Although right on the main road, traffic noise was not a great issue and the bonus was being able to walk directly over the road to the forest and moor. All the staff were excellent, friendly, helpful and attentive (including small treats for Kira). The breakfast was just superb. If there was a down side, it was purely cosmetic. The building and rooms could do with some decorating but this is only an observation, not a criticism. All in all, we had a very pleasant and relaxing time at Ormonde House, for a very reasonable price (a four nights for the price of three offer). The Ritz or Savoy it isn't, but still well recommended.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple