I love the new forest, it's free to visit and there's so much to do. Here are some of our favourites:-
1)Treasure hunts or Geo caching
2)Deer stalking at bolderwood, roundhill and almost any of the forest carparks.
3) cycling, the forest tracks are nice and easy to cycle on.
4) bird watching, the new forest is one of the best locations in the country for bird variety. Try cadmans pool.
5) nature and wildlife, you can visit the reptilary free of charge and it's great.
6) history, check out the bomb testing site near telegraph hill or the old royal hunting lodge sites to imagine life from the early days of the new forest.
7) family games and kite flying, great in any of the large grass areas and most non wheeled activities are allowed so long as they don't cause damage or disturbed the wildlife.
8) burley, lyndhurst and beaulieu for their touristy shops
9) butterflies and dragonflies, more than half of the uk varieties can be found here in the new forest.
There are so many great places and things to do and most of them are free!
When you visit make sure you try the new forest ice cream, I also love beaulieu honeycomb chocolate and of course burley cider.
What to avoid:-
1)Lyndhurst on bank holidays or summer afternoons, the traffic is just too busy. Instead try going via beaulieu to lymington.
2)Popular dog walking carparks like wilverley enclose can be a bit too covered in dog poo, not nice.
I hope you enjoy your visit to the new forest, we always do.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.