“Ideal location, check room for noise before accepting!”
Review of The White Rabbit

The White Rabbit
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Lyndhurst
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Stayed here for one night whilst taking in The New Forest. Ideal location, Lyndhurst is lovely, would recommend Peggy May's cafe for breakfast or cup of tea. Would also recommend hiring a bike from AA bike hire in the car park of the visitor centre. The chap there gives great advice on where to cycle and provides you with all you need for a good day out.

Anyway as for the hotel, we had a friendly welcome from the lad working on the bar (was fairly quiet being a Sunday afternoon). He checked us in and walked us to our room. We noticed some exposed wires in the bathroom next to the shower so requested a move which was done very quickly with no fuss.

The second room was much bigger, but windows opened out on to the roof which had a huge fan/generator which was very noisy. It was a very warm evening which meant we had to choose between being cool but with noise or less noise but a stuffy room, neither were ideal.

The following morning we were awoken by more noise with some drilling seeming taking place on the wall directly behind the bed. When I mentioned this to the lady who we checked out with she simply said "sorry".

The staff one the Sunday night were great, especially the two lads (one being the manager I believe) and one girl on the bar.

Overall I would recommend the hotel based on location, staff, price and the food which was ok (standard pub food level).

I would strongly recommend you check out the room before unpacking or heading off, or at least take a fan and or ear muffs if you end up in the room we stayed in (can't remember number sorry!!)

There are newer reviews for The White Rabbit

Reviewed 28 July 2013

On paying ninety one pounds for bed and breakfast we went to room 15 which was dark dismal and had a grubby carpet. At the side of the bed there was a door with tape stuck over a keyhole, we didnt think much of it and decided to have an early night after a very long day. At about midnight we were awoken by what we thought were people entering our room only to discover the voices were coming from behind the door at the side of the bed,we couldnt believe our ears as we heard private conversations and people performing their nightly ablutions. I had to get dressed at 12.15am to go and see the night manager to tell him that it sounded like we were sharing a bedroom with two strangers when Itold him we were in room 15 he knew immediately and by his face I could tell it wasnt the first time he had heard this complaint. He was extremely polite and offered us a full refund,however it was about 2am by the time we got to sleep. The poor people behind the door oblivious to the end as we managed to sign language till checkout . Disgusted by the nights activities we didnt stop for breakfast. Please dont say you will discuss this with the management team you must have known about this particular problem .the door should be bricked up or just be used as one room. How about some goodwill vouchers for some of your disgruntled customers.

Room Tip: Dont book into room 15
2  Thank janicet23
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The White Rabbit, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Dear janicet23,

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the White Rabbit in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Chef & Brewer

Reviewed 25 July 2013

I am writing to complain about my horrendous experience staying at the White Rabbit Hotel in Lyndhurst.

After an exhausting 5 hour drive to reach the destination after a long days work, I was about ready for quick snack and a good nights sleep as I had another busy days working tomorrow in Lymington (hence staying at this nearby hotel)
However I got anything but!
Whilst attractive from the outside, upon entering the bar area / reception, the temperature of the hotel hit me.
First complaint – there really should be air conditioning in the hotel or at the very least in the main areas; it was unbearable.
The staff, whilst pleasant, all looked incredibly young with not one more senior member of staff around.
I was shown to my room (Number 5) by a pleasant girl.
The corridors on the way looked shabby and miserable and needed attention and decorating to a better standard.
The room when I looked around had a number of basic faults:
1. Incredibly hot
7. Fairly small double bed
8. Disgusting old fashioned windows/frames
9. A very very basic bathroom
10. Old bathroom window only stayed open using a toilet roll to jam it up
I reported back to reception I was not happy at all and was told that the hotel was fully booked and my rate would be reduced to compensate.
I asked about fans as the room was scorching despite windows being open but all available fans (about four I believe) were in other rooms!
It was approaching 11pm and I was told that there were other hotels around but unfortunately they were all fully booked. So reluctantly I was forced to stay.
This is where the nightmare begins.
I opened every window, pulling up all net curtains to let the air flow into the room and this was when I saw the full extent of the disgusting joke of a view: the kitchens air conditioning unit, and on the floor a discarded old toilet roll. (I have photographic evidence).
Exhausted I lay on my bed and after only 20 minutes’ sleep I was awoken by a continuous hum that came from something on underneath me. It sounded like a ceiling fan (I later discover it is probably the kitchen refrigeration)
The throb of this noise was awful and I couldn’t get back to sleep it permeated the whole room.
So I thought I would take a shower and go and complain
Upon trying to use the horrible basic shower, not only were the controls incredibly hard to move, but even when I did, all that came out was scorching “kettle hot” water.
So I virtually burnt myself trying to take a quick shower as I desperately needed to wash.
By this stage I had had enough and made my way through the grim corridors back to reception - only to find it closed down AND that I was “locked in” to the bedroom area of the hotel!
I couldn’t even get round to see my colleague who was in another part of the hotel!
The ONLY exit was the emergency exit out into the front area and car park.
For such a large hotel why was there no on duty night porter?
Returning to my room, I flicked through the hotel pack to discover a “night porter’s emergency contact number” which I duly called.
No answer.
I tried again and could hear a mobile ringing in a room opposite to where I was staying.
By this stage I was furious – what if there had been an emergency of any description?
I tried the number again a few minutes later and again NO answer.
This was TOTALLY unacceptable and I’m sure breaching many health and safety standards as well as rules and regulations.
Despite the noise, heat and anger, I managed to drift back to sleep around 3.30am,
only to be woken with a start by the switching on of the horrendously noisy kitchen extractors right outside my window at 6.30am!!!
So after a few attempts trying to get through to the locked reception area, I eventually managed to catch someone in the area (A duty manager called Toby Rigby) who unlocked the door. I took him to the room to outline my copious list of complaints, all of which he listened to and agreed with.
He promised there would be no charge for this room and upon my request would provide me with another room to shower and change in once the first one came available after cleaning.
He also gave me the details of a more senior manager to contact.
I have to say this young man handled the situation excellently and I feel sorry for him having to work in such a disgusting environment and workplace.

The cooked breakfast whilst adequate had a hair in it, plus the fruit available was minimal.
It was run by Toby and one chef – which was ridiculous. The hotel was still horribly hot and unbearable.
The breakfast experience was minimal and not of a good standard at all.

How you can have the cheek to charge £90.00 for this standard is beyond me.
It was by far the WORST room I have ever had in a hotel in my life.
And ironically the MOST expensive room I have ever been charged for.
I had to then do an exhausting days work after just 3.5 hours sleep in a grimy grim noisy shockingly bad hotel.

Toby said to contact you to outline my complaints which I have done above.

For a start room 5 should be taken OUT of service – it is not fit to serve as a guests room until at the very least the issues of noise and plumbing are fixed.
The prices are a joke – forget season and location – it was disgusting to charge anyone £90 for a nights stay here – it wasn’t even worth £10!
The whole hotel needs money, care and management injected into it.
Finally I am furious about the lack of response to the night porter calls.
Having looked on Trip Advisor I can see this is an ongoing problem and Room 5 is even mentioned! What a cheek to still hire this nightmare room out!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank M T
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Stayed here on a Sunday the staff were helpful getting us to our room and was very impressed. Bed was comfy and everything clean etc. Dinner was a disappointment though as 1st of all it took forever to get served in an empty restaurant was just one large other than us! Then the food came out and was terribly greasy. The breakfast was not very nice either the bacon covered in black from a filthy grill. Other than the food and service at dinner the hotel was lovely. I do love this chain of restaurants usually and enjoy the fox and the hound in Burseldon but this place had nothing on it. I would suggest if staying here eat out.

Room Tip: Request not to be put in room 5 as we did thanks to reviews on here as very noisy from fans. Room 11...
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Room Tip: Request to stay in rooms away from kitchen like we did as saw reviews on here saying noisy in room 5...
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Four of us went in a while back for Sunday lunch. Extremely late food that had obviously been left under the kitchen heat lamps. A complete change of management is the only way that this establishment will begin to change

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The White Rabbit, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

Dear John C, thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that the level of service in the restaurant was not up to our usual standards. Your comments have been duly noted and will be followed up with the Management Team. Kind Regards, Chef & Brewer

Reviewed 9 July 2013

We visited the White Rabbit as a family for an evening meal before the peak dinner time on a nice summer day. There were 4 members of staff including the chef, manager and a trainee. The service was extremely slow matched with disappointing food. We waited a very long time for our starter, this could be expected if it was busy but there were hardly any other customers! We finished our starters which were not too bad, the fish platter was very pleasant. Our empty plates were left waiting to be cleared for some time. Our main course was brought to our table by the chef(?!) when the starter plates were still there. Very disorganised. Two of the main courses were burnt with limp salad. They didn't seem very fresh at all, as if they had been prepared earlier and left on the side. The chips that were sides with all of the meals were tasteless and very small in portion. After pushing the food around our plates for a while, we got the bill and went home for strawberries and cream. The glass that my water was delivered in was very dirty with obvious lip marks around the top...not what you would expect.

The White Rabbit is in a nice location but they really need to address the lack of staff and below standard food they offer.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The White Rabbit, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Dear Jess P, thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. Your feedback was a concern to hear and I would like to investigate these comments further with the Management Team of the pub. I have sent you a direct message to discuss this further and look forward to hearing from you soon. Kind Regards, Chef & Brewer

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
The Crown Manor House Hotel
Cottage Lodge Hotel
Cottage Lodge Hotel
#1 of 10 in Brockenhurst
Travelodge Stoney Cross Lyndhurst

Been to The White Rabbit? Share your experiences!