The White Rabbit
Ormonde House Hotel(Lyndhurst)(Great Value!)
US$125
US$195
US$189
  • Pool
Lime Wood Hotel(Lyndhurst)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewssunday roastnew foresthigh streetmushroomsforrestpubs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 August 2014

In my nearly 100 rewievs I Have never given a 1 and hardly a 2, but this time was close.
The White Rabbit is totally lacking in atmosphere and has some major failures, but it has a staff that is really helpful and nice -- that saves their 3 stars from me.

We amazed to see very fem people around on what should have been a very busy August week-end when all rooms in Lyndhurst were probably booked, bit htose staying had probably gone somewhere else to eat and drink, because the also place is simply not inviting. It is clean and sober, but the furniture would fit better in the City of London than it what could have been a very nice pub with rooms in the New Forest!

We were given a room without a proper window -i.e. there were two windows, but they were both frosted, and soon understood why. Once opened we had the fantastic view of a rumbling ventilation system - making so much noise that the windows had to be closed. My daughter and I got a double room, and sharing a duvet is not really for us, but the the young lady at reception was very helpful and got us an extra duvet. The mattress however must have been 20 years old - you could actually feel the springs in your back.
The bathroom had no toiletries for the shower - even the Travelodge gives you a bar of soap, but here was a not functioning bottle of Dove into a dispenser that was falling apart.....
I had a few beers in the bar as my daughter was going to bed and again service was very good, but as there we no people around, there was no atmosphere.
I think this could be a lovely place. Give it a lick of paint on the ourside and some more traditional furniture inside, people maybe would want to sit down! But bearing in mind that the restaurant scores number 34 out of 37 in Lynmouth, tells me something is terribly wrong in this hotel - and it is not the staff who are the problem!

Room Tip: Avoid room 5. You are brobably better of with a rood towards the busy road that towards the rear where the ventilation system is on the roof.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LjoJo
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We selected this hotel as it was on our route to the Isle of Wight ferry at Lymington, this was a test run as we intended to use it for our next four trips, unfortunately it failed the test. After a 3 hour drive we arrived at reception to be met with the words "We don't have a booking for you", this despite us having a copy of our e mail confirmation from Booking.com. The hotel said it the fault of Booking.com and it was not the first time that this happened and sometimes people get angry, are you surprised, Booking.com have confirmed to me that the White Rabbit was notified on 11 June of our booking. As luck (if you can call it that) would have it there was an empty room which we were allocated. We had originally booked the small double, this was supposed to be a better room. This room was very basic, the bed seemed to be shouting "change me", it creaked at every move and the mattress has seen better days, the only saving grace was it had a desk fan. The accommodation area is need of brightening up. We were advised that the restaurant was going to be busy that night and dining earlier would be recommended, we booked a table for 7pm. Without going in to it blow by blow it took 2 hours to be served a 3 course meal, when we arrived there was only a few diners. According to our waitress staffing was the issue with only 3 waitresses cover all the dining areas on a busy night, I was informed that there were 4 kitchen staff, but this did not speed up our meal. I picked up on the fact that there was low staff morale. Breakfast was the saving grace there was plenty to suit all dietary choices. This place would have been ideal for us, however we cannot afford the risk of driving 3 hours to find "there is no room at the inn". The best way is to possibly ring the hotel direct to book, but then again.

Room Tip: Go for a larger room if possible - check with the hotel they have your reservation
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed there on 1st July, easy to find, ample rooms for cars. We booked a family room so that my daughter can explore around our room. The spring bed was OK but it did give me a sore back maybe I get used to memory foam, the bath should have a mat as it was slippery when I was taking a shower,the staff was polite, location of hotel is just outside of town. Overall good place to stay

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The White Rabbit is a beautiful place to stay. The manager Russ and all his staff are an absolute delight. They are extremely helpful and go out of their way to make sure your stay is a very enjoyable one. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff. They ensure at all times your visit is an enjoyable one and that you have everything you need. An amazing group of people who make you so welcome. Thanks a million to you all. We will be back real soon. You couldn't find a better place to stay and the staff are second to none. See you all soon, look forward to our next visit. Thanks to Russ and his team for a wonderful few days. You guys are the very best.

Room Tip: I have stayed in both twin rooms and a family room. They are all beautiful rooms with plenty of space and spotlessly clean.. Whatever room I have stayed in has had its own charm.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2014

After a long, exciting, fun filled day at Peppa Pig World, we were travelling back to our hired cottage when we happened upon the rather quaint The White Rabbit. Excellent food. Amazing service. Most impressed that they brought the children's meals first so that they did not become fractious. Wonderful - very impressive!

• Stayed: July 2014