“loud and tired”

original white hart
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ringwood
Reviewed 23 August 2013

This is the local pub where the town drinkers come to watch football. Friday night to round it off was band night loud and anything but restful.Plenty of cleaning products around that need using, every surface had a sticky film including the floor. Manageress does not even bother to ask whether you enjoyed your stay and it was obvious that she has heard it all before. Only good thing was the breakfast, my recommendation would be only stay if everywhere else in town is full.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Anne P

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Stayed here twice under both previous and current management and had a good experience both times.
The rooms are clean, well presented and comfortable and the staff are friendly.
The hotel is an old Inn so has pleanty of character and there is parking available at the back for no extra cost.
Overall offers excellent value for money.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Suzanne R
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I am not sure where to start with this review as I have no positives to say just a whole list of negatives!

I stayed at this hotel on Saturday 3rd August as I was in the area on business for the weekend and needed to stay somewhere close to where I was attending meetings.

I checked in and a swipe was taken off my card and I was given the key to room 7 - a single room in the main section of the pub on the 1st floor. I booked this hotel as breakfast was included with the cost. I was advised that breakfast would be served from 7.30am which was perfect as I needed to be at my destination by 8,30am. When I reached my room I received a knock on the door to be told breakfast would infact be served from 8am - bang went my included breakfast!

The room was small and overlooked the extension area of the pub and the outdoor smoking area, to the right of the open window was a fire escape and I could see the door had been held open by a section of wood approx 2ft x 3ft - surely a health and safety breach? I entered the tiny ensuite bathroom and noticed that above the shower cubicle on the ceiling were extensive black mould spores and mould within the tiles and the shower door and shower hose was filthy. I am glad I did not need to use the toilet much as approx 1/4 of one roll was available and no spares, the soap dispenser at the small hand basin was crusty and also empty. I decided as I was going to be out till mid evening I would get ready and make the best of a bad room, I tried to close the window and this did close but stuck leaving an open gap of 10/12 inches, being in touching distance of the fire escape this left the room unable to be secured.

I returned to the pub at 8.30 and the noise from the garden was incredbily loud with disco music blaring, people shouting, foul language and screaming and shrieking women, I give it the benefit of the doubt and turned up the tv and decided to make myself a coffee, kettle dirty, mug dirty, no spoons either, by 11pm I had had enough and tried to call down to the reception and no reply so sent an email outlining my experience - nothing back and yes I could have gone down however it was very busy and was not prepared to put myself into a throng of noisy men and women who liked to use every expletive under the sun in loud conversation. Now I know the earplugs on the bedside cabinet were not left by the previous guest and were issued by the hotel! Clearly they know there is an issue so why not advise guests prior to taking their reservation.

I woke at 6.30am wanting to have a shower and prepare for my meeting but alas the shower ran cold so I walked downstairs in the hope of finding someone in reception but the place was all locked up and deserted so I returned to my room and let the shower run for 15 mins until warm water was available to shower. I was sorely tempted to leave at this point but was unsure if I had opened the front door with the key provided I would have activated any alarms.

I left the hotel at 8.10am and advised the young bar person that I would not be paying for the room and advised that I had sent an email to express my disappointment, she offered to get the manager but I declined as I was now running late and asked for her to call me so I could discuss my dissatisfaction. Within 15 mins a lady called Amanda rang and asked why I had not paid, I explained the reasons and that I would be taking this up with Marston Inns head office and she was completely non admissive to my complaint and said that I was required to pay, she also mentioned as to why I did not come down to the bar at 11pm and that she had not read the email or realised I had called the number - probably did not hear the phone as the music was so loud. I explained that a swipe had been taken of my card and she said that it hadn't - well I have the receipt to confirm it and she then said she would have to follow normal procedures, when I questioned what this was she explained that it would be reported to the police, I welcomed this and advised her to give them my number, I was also keen to discuss the health & safety issue with the wedged open fire exit which was still the same in the morning as the night before she refused to admit that this would have been done by a member of staff as the staff do not go up there - so who cleans or in my case does not clean the rooms and blamed the customers for this, I said I will see what Marston Inns policy is on fire exits being wedged open and that I had photographic evidence of everything I had complained about along with a video recording of the language and loud music at 11pm and asked her if she had anything else to discuss, which she replied oh ok then and I ended the call.

It does make me wonder if had needed to leave at 6.30am and there was nobody around who would I have paid then, I assumed this was the reason for the pre-authorisation of my card to allow for this to happen???

I stay in lots of hotels on business and I try where possible to support the smaller hotels/B&B's as I find them more personal that the larger chains but this is definitely one that is off my radar.

I would also like to add the cost of a gin & tonic was £4.55 (she explained the tiny bottle of tonic was £1.90!! nearly as much as the measure of gin.

I very rarely leave reviews but felt I had to warn others from booking this hotel as I would hate anybody to go through the same experience as myself, maybe I should have looked at the other reviews on here before I booked please don't make the same mistake as me......

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank vicster1969
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This hotel is a DISGRAGE. Rooms 2 and 11 where so bad I actually got a refund . The manager needs to seriously do something about the filth in the rooms. She obviously knows there is a serious problem because she did not charge for my stay!!!!!!!!!!!! NO WAY would I stay there again and I would NEVER recomend even a FREE room. It really is a place to STAY AWAY from. I can not stress this enough.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Jeanne H
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

I recently stay here with my boyfriend everything was ok, but our room was very dark and the wallpaper was peeling off the walls. When we went down for breakfast at 9 am we had to sit at a dirty table find cutlery from another table, after ordering our breakfast we were told to help ourselves tea and juice there was no juice so we had tea, when our breakfast arrived we were told they had run out of beans, we were not offered any other option so we just had bacon and sausage. I felt very let down by these things as they are such easy things to fix. Why are they not sorted?????

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 18 July 2013

The original white hart Hotel

I can honestly say that I have never Witten a report on any Hotel that I have stayed in I have over the years stayed in many Hotels

I would like to share with you my experience at the white Hart Hotel.

The room in which I was staying in was room number 15 I was away on company business and booked this Hotel through late rooms.com it wasn’t the cheapest Hotel £73.00 per night for a room that I can only describe has something you would expect in the cheapest B&B at Blackpool.
The room was dirty the bathroom was dirty the bed linen was dirty. I stayed at this Hotel for three nights it was the worst Hotel that I have ever stayed in.

My room faced the kitchen which had the loudest extraction fan you have ever heard I had to on three nights ask the receptionist at 1030 could they please turn the extraction fan off.

I made the mistake one night due to tiredness of trying to dine in their restaurant on the menu they had four different kinds of steak, I tried to order steak but was informed that they have run out of them.

On the Thursday night I came back late at 8 o’clock from work and asked for the steak again to which the reply was we only order steak in once a week we will have someone on Friday.
The Hotel is advertised as 3 stars I wouldn’t even give it one star I found the staff rude I find the people that were drinking at the bar rude and the language I feel was really bad at times

David Bolton Lancashire

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Dam10uk
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights between 5-8th July 2013 in room no. 8 which is above the entrance into the car park. On the first morning we were offered clean towels but subsequently none were provided and the room wasn't cleaned or the bed made up the whole time we were there. The room was grubby and in need of re-decoration. We were told that this was one of there biggest rooms and I suppose it might have been if you removed the four-poster bed and the oversized old fashioned furniture. The bathroom had been updated to a point but there was no shaver point or vanity top to put things on. The shower head could not be adjusted to prevent water spraying onto the floor. The breakfast was adequate although the room was extremely hot and would have benefitted from a couple of electric fans to provide some cool airflow. Overall I think the review below by DUCHAMPSTNEOTS sums up the place very well. I think Marstons need to invest a lot of money and possibly a new manager to, bring the place up to scratch.

Room Tip: If you have to stay there request one of rooms 9-16 at the back of the pub.