“Best breakfast ever”
Review of The Old Beams Inn

The Old Beams Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Old Beams Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 71 Restaurants in Ringwood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Ringwood, United Kingdom
“Best breakfast ever”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Having spent the early morning unblocking a plug hole I decided I needed a treat. I took myself to the Old Beams which was just opening up for the day. Yes they do breakfast, so yes come in and sit wherever I want, and in just a few minutes the most well cooked, delicious English breakfast was placed in front of me. Everything was hot, the farmhouse bread was toasted to perfection, my tea pot was refreshed when finished, it was just lovely.
At £9.95 it's not the cheapest but it included the tea and was simply wonderful. I'll be back!

1 Thank pelican23

Fleet, United Kingdom
“Not bad, but not great either....”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Waiting Time: quite long, be prepared to wait
Service - Friendliness: the staff are very young, Julian is brilliant, the younger ones need a bit of training. Few fibs told to us that food would be 1 minute when clearly it was not the case. It's better to be honest, apologise for the delay and give a realistic time.
Service - Speed/Attentiveness: the waitress we had really did not check on us enough, we had to hunt around the pub to find her for assistance. She was polite enough though.
Food - First Visual Impression: looks great!
Food - Taste and Quality: Average, I had pork belly, it was dry and burnt on top, gravy was warm not hot, I was too hungry to complain and wait longer. Sticky toffee pudding was amazing!
Environment/Cleanliness: It's a nice inviting environment, I advise you sit away from the kitchen pass, the light keeps going on and off when they put plates of food out. The fireplace is lovely
Value: I guess the saying has never been so true that "you pay for what you get", the value is very good perhaps too good, as a result there have been cuts in food and staff quality to meet the charges they apply.
Other (wifi, Parking etc): plenty of parking, wifi is useless keeps breaking it's connection no matter where you sit.

Overall Summary: it's a shame, it's a really nice pub, the owner Julian is a lovely chap, but his youngsters and food quality let the side down a bit. I think if he charged more, got in some really good produce and cooks, trained up the youngstersit would be a gold mine!

Verwood, United Kingdom
“Great staff, poor management”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Organised a main birthday visit here. Arrived and found heating was broken. Ok these things happen, but...

A) they could have rung and warned us we would freeze
B) they could have rented some decent heaters
C) they could have turned off the air con...yes really this was still on blasting cool air in the cold ! When asked the staff did not know how to turn it off either

That all said, the bar staff were friendly and did their best in the circumstance.

Food wise, all good except a 'medium well' steak should not be bleeding all over your plate. Sent back once for further nuking and only mildly better on return.

Overall just won't go back :-(

Visited March 2014
Southampton, United Kingdom
“What a lovely cosy pub!”
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We stopped off here after a long walk in the forest, and were greeted by friendly, polite staff. After a cold day, we enjoyed sitting in the cosy chairs next to a lovely warm fire and had food from the set menu. All food was delicious and very good value for money. Have already recommended to friends and family.

1 Thank SKerry375
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Such a shame”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We visited at 5pm on a sunny Sunday looking for a nice sunday roast. They advertised carvery but we were advised on arrival that they were now serving roasts from the kitchen, this was fine but the food we recieved sadly was not. The yorkshire was rock hard and the roasts were like little pieces of coal. (At a guess we were served leftovers from the carvery probably hours old and reheated which the manager denied) veg and meat Were average. We did complain and revieved a discount. Food other tables had ordered looked lovely eg the steak, so I really wish they had just stopped serving roasts when they were past their best and we could have ordered some thing fresh from the menu. The pub was lovely but the roasts shouldn't have been served, I am surprised the chef even let them leave the kitchen. Will we give it another shot? I am sad to say no.

1 Thank 186299Lou