“Brilliant location but food is ordinary” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Red Shoot
Ranked #20 of 66 Restaurants in Ringwood
Price range: US$7 - US$21
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats, View, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Nestled in the heart of the New Forest, with its own micro-brewery producing 3 ales - Toms Tipple 4.8%, New Forest Gold 3.8% & Red White & Brew 4.0% and a dark mild Muddy Boot 4.2% We have an extensive homecooked menu to suit all tastes, which is served all day throughout the school holidays and weekends (times vary out of season)Outdoor seating area with views over the forest3 Beer Festivals a year April, July & OctoberLive bands every Sunday nightWeekly Quiz on Thursday night from 9.00pmFamilies, Dogs and Muddy Boots Welcome!
“Brilliant location but food is ordinary”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

standard pub fare available on the menu but unfortunately the vegetarian dishes were quite overpriced and poor in taste. great for those who like meat only. Very convenient for the campsite.

Visited July 2014

“The worst pub meal ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

What a shame, lovely location, next to a great campsite. My chips were still frozen, my burger a very cheap processed piece of overcooked nastiness, my partners Veg dish was incredibly awful. The microwave technician in charge of the kitchen should look for another career. Management seemed not to care, the poor staff were trying bravely to compensate for awfulNess of the kitchen and management. Avoid at all costs.

Reading, United Kingdom
“This pub is alright”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

The pub itself and the staff were very good. The pizza had a bit too much tomato sauce on it for our liking and the burger was ok. The pub has a brewery connected to it which does it own beers. I tried two of them and they were both very nice. It is also 2 minutes away from the red shoot camping site which we were staying at.

Poole, United Kingdom
“Disappointing, could do a lot better”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Yesterday I took my 16-year old son out for a meal at the The Red Shoot, at Linwood, near Ringwood. I had a vegetarian dish of "Creamed leeks, Camembert, cranberry & mushroom bake with a chestnut crumble, topping with seasonal buttered greens", at £10.95. Also a side order of chips. My son had a burger.

On the plus side, my son said that although his meal wasn't great, it wasn't really bad either. However, quite frankly, this was the second worst pub meal I've ever had!

My leaks were gritty, and the 'chestnut crumble' (good job I read on the menu that this is what it was as I wouldn't have guessed) seemed to have been sprinkled on top and left uncooked. There were about 3 cranberries, I didn't even notice the Camembert and the whole thing was bland and tasteless, apart from the mushrooms, which were okay. After a short while the 'crumble' soaked into the liquid beneath, resulting in a soggy mess.

The chips actually tasted quite nice, though looked my son said they looked more like chicken nuggets than chips, and he was right! My carrots and cabbage looked as if they'd been on my plate for several hours before being served.

I ate about 1/8 of the main dish and a fair proportion of the chips. I don't normally complain, but on this occasion the food was so awful that I did. To give them their credit, my money was refunded without hesitation and an apology offered.

It's a shame: the pub is in a nice location and the campsite looked quite nice, but I would only go back there for a drink, no food. Sorry.

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
“Awful burger”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Great beer but awful processed burger meat. What a let down, I'm not sure where the burgers come from but they sure are disgusting. On a plus point my dog enjoyed them.

Visited June 2014