“Interesting but a little thin on the ground”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ringwood Town Country Experience
Reviewed 20 December 2013

A bit pricey for the thin content but and interesting diversion into the past. handy Tea Room! The exhibits are varied and cover a range of the past in Hampshire activities.

1  Thank Doogleboy
There are newer reviews for Ringwood Town Country Experience

Reviewed 19 September 2013

I went to the experience on the groupon offer and thoroughly enjoyed it, wanting to come and help them as it had a great atmosphere, apparently the elderly owner holds the purse strings and lives in isle of wight and need his permission to do anything!!!! although the whole place is in need of tlc I was impressed. This could be so much more if the people running it could be let to do what they want

LOVED IT

1  Thank dizzi250367
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Visited today notice on the door "closed 1st august". Will not be reopening, followed by legal stuff about the ownership of exhibits etc. Shame. Was recommended to us by friends. Sadly no more. Be careful website is still up and running though.

8  Thank shorty1954
Reviewed 30 July 2013

For my husband and I it was good fun explaining to grandchildren places where we lived and things that we had in our childhood.

1  Thank Patricia G
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Three of us visited on a Thursday morning, two of with the Groupon offer (£7) and a pensioner. £3 ish) Wouldn't have wished to pay any more.

We were shown by a nice, friendly woman through the 'shop' to the beginning of the menagerie and were left to roam wherever we desired without being eyeballed or guided. No one else was in the museum besides us.

Yes it was a mish, mash, mix up and it needed sorting and dusting; easter chicks (?) stuck in some places and a Christmas decoration hanging as though an effort had been made at certain times of the year and then they couldn't be [--] to take them down again. Yes there were odd little things in odd places like a recent Harry Potter book in the 'olde worllde' book shop(/) and the model boat in the garage forecourt(?) but this is what brought a smile to our faces. Our friend was found giggling at the manequin wearing the forces uniform who had fallen over at some point and had his nose broken only to be propped up again to carry on working!

There was an area with retro clothing that you were invited to try on and have your photo taken in. A dressing up corner I suppose. They charge a lot for this service in places like the Ironbridge Museum!

They seemed to have rescued every Singer sewing machine in Dorset as they were in every room.

I didn't think it needed any more explanations of items as the constant reading is what puts me off museums and I loved the freedom of taking our time and going and touching exactly what we wanted.

The toilets were spotless.

When we had finished we could only find a £1.60 card to buy from the shop to help funds but we did stay for our hot drinks and bought biscuits. Prices were very reasonable. Staff were chatty, warm and polite whilst serving but were having their own conversations when I wanted to interrupt to say how much it had amused us and to ask the history of the museum.

I would love to lend a hand if they ever do a make-over but suggest you get there before they do if you like quirky. I'd take others with a sense of humour to see this.

1  Thank ChatterboxEngland