“Fantastic pub and inn”

The Star Inn Ringwood
The Star Inn Ringwood
Ranked #9 of 21 Ringwood B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed at The Star for 2 nights in October. There is nothing I can complain about. I think all the bad reviews must have the pub they stayed in confused!!! The room was lovely - very clean and comfortable. No noise even though we were in the centre of Ringwood. All of the staff were very friendly and happy to help. I was advised to book a table due to them getting busy which was great as I've stayed places before where I've not been advised to do this and cldnt then get a table. We did this and I can understand why they get busy. Fantastic Thai food! Lovely atmosphere in the pub area. A great stay. We will be back.

• Stayed: October 2013
starry0009, Owner at The Star Inn Ringwood, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you so very much for your lovely review, it means a great deal to hear such wonderful feedback from customers.
See you again soon we hope, and please tell us who you are when you visit so we can say hello and thank you in person. :)

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Being Kiwis we were impressed with the age and history of this lovely old building.Not so happy to hear that we could not park outside the pub as the next day was market day.Had to tow our bags from a public car park.The room was clean and comfortable and the dinner menu offered Thai options which we enjoyed.Just didn't like having another patron's dog licking my feet while I ate!! This is a disgusting British habit to allow dogs into pubs.We did move to another part of the restaurant but would have preferred that the dog had been removed!!
The landlord was very friendly and the service was excellent.Unfortunate that the tomatoes at breakfast came out of a can,obviosly not the same chef as at dinner!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
wrongroll, Owner at The Star Inn Ringwood, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Thank you for your review, we are very pleased to hear you had a comfortable stay with us and enjoyed the service.

Please accept our apologies for the incident you encountered with another patrons dog, we are dog owners ourselves, which is why we like to allow them in the top bar of the pub, however we do appreciate that not everyone enjoys dogs in an eating area, and for this reason we do have a strictly no dog area in the front bar.
Again, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with regards to our parking problems, we do so wish we could offer off road parking to our guests, it is something that is unfortunatly completely out of our control.

Thank you again for your lovely comments.
All the best, and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I would not recommend staying at the Star Inn because its falls short of acceptable standards in my opinion. On arrival the room smelt of smoke and was in dire need of a facelift. The bath had hairs in it so I bought a bottle of bleach from a local supermarket and cleaned it myself only to find that the next day after our room was serviced, hey presto the hairs were there again! I can only assume a dirty cloth was used to clean the bath, yuk. After an unsettling night's sleep with the racket outside from all night revellers and an uncomfortably soft mattress, the English breakfast in the morning was a greasy let down. I'm not being picky but when you pay £70 odd quid a night you expect more, especially in the cleanliness department.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
wrongroll, Owner at The Star Inn Ringwood, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Thank you for your review, I do apologise that we did not meet your expectations.

I remember checking you into your room and when you mentioned about the smell of smoke, I explained that all of our rooms are non smoking, that said I can not be sure that the previous guests adhered to the smoking policy and I'm sure you appreciate it is very difficult to police any in room activity, without evidence. I also mentioned that it could have been from the open window, which we do for all of our rooms in order to air them.

With regards to the issue of an unclean bathroom, I do wish that you had mentioned your disatisfaction as I can assure you we take cleanliness very seriously, as does our cleaner who is employed throughout the local area to a number of businesses and homes because of the standard and care of their work.
Please except our apologies for any disturbance you encountered during the night, this is something that being in a town centre is to be expected and something that is completely out of our control, even with regular reporting to local police.

I believe you were charged and honoured the price of £70 per night for your stay when the usual rate is £75, May I also remind you that out of concern and courtesy for your partner who was taken ill in the middle of the night, upon your departure the following afternoon, we wavered our cancellation policy and did not charge you for the third night of your booking.

Again, I must apologise for your unhappiness at staying with us, we shall definately be looking into all the issues you have raised in this review,

I must say however that I do find it a little odd that your friend who stayed in the next room to you was extremely happy with the room quality and service he had experienced and had even enquired about a possible return.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We met here with friends we hadn't seen for some time. It was a very good choice.

The range of drinks on offer is excellent and included Brains bitter and Black Cat cider on draught amongst others. There is also a blackboard showing all the available wines by the glass. Service was excellent with drinks ordered at the bar being brought to the table.

The food menu listed Chinese and Thai plus more conventional fare and there was a good specials board. Prices offered good value for money and the food was well presented and portions generous.

I have lived in the area for 25 years but this was my first visit but won't be my last. It's a proper pub without all the so-called modern trappings I can frankly do without. I particularly appreciated the sign asking for mobiles to be switched off or put on silent.

Good honest food and drink and a great place for a chat with your mates. It will in future be my first choice for a drink or food whenever in Ringwood.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind review.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend and were very pleased with our choice. As soon as we walked in, we were greeted warmly by the landlady. The landlord was also very friendly to us throughout our stay. The room was clean and comfortable and had a comfy mattress topper and new pillows. The only downside was that it was a bit too warm and we had to sleep with the fan on.

We also tried the Chinese / Thai food downstairs and it was tasty. Plus we were only one minute from our room, where we went back to with a fresh pint of ale as a nightcap, well-fed and satisfied all round. All in all it was a relaxing break for us.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review, See you again soon we hope :)

Reviewed 5 October 2013

Having visited The Star Inn on numerous occasions I can only comment positively on the pub, the food and the staff. Notwithstanding what appears to be a cheap shot at the manageress ('darrmink's' comments), this pub offers everything you'd want from a market town public house. The Thai food is to die for and the range and quality of the beers and ciders is unparralled in the area. This is underpinned by the professionalism and excellent service offered by both Ian and Nikki and their staff. I would not hesitate in recommending The Star Inn to anyone whether visting on business ro pleasure. Top banana - thank you.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Food ok nothing special. Miserable moody manageress. I think she's owners wife. Everything was an effort and she obviously shouldn't be behind a bar as service is everything. We felt like she was doing us a favour by serving us. Won't return.

• Stayed: July 2013
wrongroll, Owner at The Star Inn Ringwood, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Darrmink,
Firstly I'd like to introduce myself I am the joint owner of The Star Inn, I have run the pub/hotel successfully for the last 13 years with my husband.
Thank you for the scores you have given us and for the comment you made regarding our food.
In your review you said that you had stayed with us in July, well over 2 months ago, We would very much like to know what you thought of that experience as you have chosen not to score us out of service, sleep quality, quality of food, value or room quality.

The review you have posted is not a review of my pub or hotel but an extremely personal review of me and I must say that it is so far from who I am. I wish that you had voiced your dissatisfaction with me at the time of your visit, I must tell you that these comments have had a serious affect on my self confidence and I have been greatly upset by them, that is why I would like to invite you back to the pub to maybe sit with me over a cup of coffee and talk through the comments you have made, alternatively I invite you to call me or email me, I feel that this would be of mutual benefit to us both, and so I could determine that it is indeed me that you are referring too. I do understand that you may just want to leave your review on this site as an end to your experience at The Star Inn, but I do hope that you understand that I have a right to defend myself and if this review is an end to it to you, understand that this is not an end to it for me and this review will stay with me forever.
With regards.
thestarinnringwood@yahoo.co.uk

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ringwood
original white hart
The Crown Manor House Hotel
Lamb Inn Ringwood
Lamb Inn Ringwood
#11 of 21 in Ringwood

Been to The Star Inn Ringwood? Share your experiences!