“Quite shocking”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Beau Deli
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I have friends who have been here/frequent here and think it is great, however I have only had horrendous experiences. On one occasion my son's doughnut was so stale you could have hammered a nail with it, and on another I heard a fellow customer complaining that the beef in her sandwich was off! And my husband claimed that when he walked past their table he could in fact smell it!

2  Thank Suzy_G2012

Reviewed 7 August 2012

Walked in , got stared at, felt intimidated so bought smallest thing I could see, tiny piece of lemon cake, no prices on display, should have walked out when she said £3.50 !!!! and it was horrible.

2  Thank REG10662002
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I have coffee with friends in the beau deli every week and being from Leeds myself I was very surprised by the comments made by 'Northerns stay away' review. The staff have always made our visit a pleasure. I understand that the owner is from Yorkshire!
Excellent coffee and service.

1  Thank Tina H
Reviewed 6 March 2012

After a lovely weekend in the New Forest, my wife and I decided to stop off in Beaulieu before carrying on home to Brighton. We strolled around this lovely village and decided to have a coffee in this little cafe. The lady was friendly, as were the two people already in the cafe (the owners pals we later realised) and we ordered coffee and crumpets. The lady asked me where I was from, "Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire" I say, "Oh I thought you were from Sunderland" she replied. No problem with that, but what I do have a problem with is when the owner then sat with her two friends and whilst we were having our coffee, very loudly declared how crap East Yorkshire was!! She then proceeded with her two pals to insult every single town in Yorkshire - Bridlington - "s**t", Flamborough Head - "ghastly with freezing wind", Scarborough - " what a god forsaken dump", Leeds - "easy to get women on their back", Harrogate - "you won't get those girls in the sack"', Hull - "Oh Jesus - appalling"........yes this is all true and me and my wife were flabbergasted at this conversation in front of two customers who've just told you where they are from. Luckily neither of our mothers are from Leeds! For those of you who don't know, Beaulieu has lovely donkeys roaming around the village too, but even these didn't escape the trios wrath - "bloody sh****ng everywhere", "I'd shoot them with a gun if I had one"...... And so this continued until we left, which we did rapidly! We actually thought we'd been in the middle of some secret filming for a comedy sketch!
This sort of put a dampener on what had been a lovely weekend and my only regret is that we should've walked out without paying. Of course, it goes without saying how insulting this conversation was and the only reason we didnt comment was that we thought it would create more stress on what should've been a relaxing last day in the New Forest. I have no idea whether their comments were intentional to antagonise us, or simply pig ignorant, small minded village fools twittering on.
So.......looking for a coffee in Beaulieu and you're from anywhere north of Birmingham?? AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!! Or of course don't tell the owners where you're from!

5  Thank Bizwiz65
Reviewed 7 April 2011

I didn't write a review earlier as this place wasn't listed. We have only visited this place once last October, so it might change. But we ordered a quiche to take away with a salad, and it was the most "gourmet" portion i had ever seen, it was delicious definitely but tiny, and the salad was just a few leaves, more of a garnish. We did have to wait a long time as they were busy, but we were very disappointed with the size of the portion and the price we had to pay for it, more like London city centre tourist prices. Very disappointed, as I live locally and would have recommended this place but don't feel I can. I prefer the Hungry Gardener Cafe down the road, the portions are larger, but no....its not gluten free, which is a good the main USP of this Deli. Shame :(

3  Thank LondonChiswick