“BOOK ON A ROOM-ONLY BASIS”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Beaulieu Hotel

The Beaulieu Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Beaulieu
Rye, United Kingdom
“BOOK ON A ROOM-ONLY BASIS”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

I booked a weekend away in the New Forest using the Tesco Clubcard deal, meaning I could knock a certain amount off the price with my tokens, although I didn't haven't enough to cover the whole weekend and paid for the second night. You can only book bed-and-breakfast; if you want dinner you have to pay an extra £25 per person and you get a free bottle of wine.

On speaking to the reservations team, I was told that Beaulieu Hotel was all booked up and the next closest was the Best Western Forest Lodge. I wanted to be as close to Beaulieu as possible but it wasn't too much further so when I received my tokens I rang up and booked the Forest Lodge. I had all the paperwork but only briefly glanced over it to make sure I was all booked up, and the morning we departed I thought I'd best check my reservation. Thankfully I did - Forest Lodge had nothing under my name! A bit confused, I rang the Beaulieu Hotel, and sure enough, I was booked there. If it was the lovely lady I originally spoke to who had organised this, then thank you very much, but no one at any point sent me a note or rang me to say 'by the way, we've booked you in a different hotel'.

Upon arrival, the room we had was in a separate part of the hotel, above the Drift Inn. The room was nice and clean, contemporary style, with a large twin bed pushed together (the only downside was that when you like sleeping close to someone, there's a line down the middle that angles you away and you end up rolling back into the middle of the twin bed!), and a small but effective bathroom. I liked the fact that you get a selection of tea/coffee that includes hot chocolate - not many places bother with the chocolate and sometimes you fancy treating yourself! The room did back on to the rail line and the trains are fairly regular and noisy but you get used to it.

I booked the dinner for the Friday night only as I knew we would be out Saturday, and I'm glad I did. The dinner was awful. The prices are ridiculously high for a plate of very little, or just tasteless mess. The starters were pleasant but nothing to rave about and only lukewarm. Other half's main lamb was £16 and consisted of reheated dry potatoes, limp veg and two tiny bits of lamb rolled in thick fat. Not something I would pay £16 for. I wanted to try the tagliatelle, but what they didn't bother pointing out was that there were two different types; one with mushroom and blue cheese sauce (the one I wanted) and one with tomato and leek or spring onion. When it arrived, it was the wrong one, so I asked and they discovered the error. Not wanting to have to wait as my partner was nearly through his tiny plate I said I'd eat it, but one bite was enough. It looked like it had been sitting out for a while and congealed to a slightly warm mush, and it was so bland even salt couldn't rescue it. I usually try to eat what's there even if it's wrong as I hate making a fuss, but I just couldn't bring myself to. They did offer another meal but I said no, I'd order a cheeseboard for dessert. We had that and the taster of desserts, which were again pleasant but nothing to rave about. The cheese was lovely, although you get four nice large pieces of different cheese and then four measly biscuits to try and eat it all with!

Breakfast is not much better - the sausages are awful, cheap catering ones, and the bacon is just about okay. Tea was like dishwater, and my pancakes were again reheated and tasted funny. The next morning I tried the vegetarian sausage, which is just bubble and squeak rolled into a sausage shape and fried. None of it looks freshly cooked; just like it's been sat on a side waiting for someone to order it.

I know it is only a three-star hotel, and we didn't go in with high expectations, but it needs to be better than that. The trainee manager in the restaurant was lovely, but she had only been there a week and it would be nice if she would be allowed to really sort the staff and kitchen out.

On check-out I made sure I checked the bill thoroughly, and sure enough, they tried to charge us for the free bottle of wine with our dinner. The receptionist made some excuse that the 'system puts it on automatically' - well then, the system needs to be changed. She made a show of unticking it and printing it out again, which was unnecessary. Good try.

The rooms are lovely and well worth the stay if you need a base for walking; it's a lovely location and they are dog-friendly too. However, I would suggest booking on a room-only basis, save the extra amount and go out for breakfast and dinner. The Drift Inn next door was good for snacks (I've also reviewed it) but I don't know what the main meals and breakfasts are like. I'm glad I went through Tesco as if I had paid full price I would NOT have been happy.

Room Tip: Try to get 26-29 - above the Drift Inn. Lovely rooms, away from the main hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EmmyHope
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Beaulieu Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am sorry that dinner was not up to standard and that you were charged for your complimentary bottle of wine. I will ensure that all of your comments are investigated further.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Whangarei, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

The hotel is located about 3 miles from Lyndhurst, on the way to Beaulieu. It is set on its own surrounded by New Forest heathland with ponies, donkeys and other animals wandering about nearby. We found it unpretentious, whilst being very clean and comfortable. The rooms are spacious and more than adequate and staff are very friendly. There is a small indoor pool and steam room, as well as a large play area and equipment for kids. We were able to take our dog for a small amount extra per night. The food was good quality, although a bit pricey, but next door is the Drift Inn (owned by the Beaulieu which is much more reasonable for food). The only criticism I found was that the free Wifi was very slow and flakey.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bernard R
Crowborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

I arrived through the day and so got my bearings, went out and came back in the evening and its only then you realise how isolated you are in the middle of the wonderful forest!

The hotel was warm and the staff welcoming and very helpful. The food off the bar menu was first class and reasonably priced too and breakfast was just what I needed and will undoubtedly cover all tastes.

Any complaints, well just a couple, the room I had (6) was quite a trek and through four sets of fire doors and the wardrobe door didn't open fully as it bangs into the closing mechanism of the bedroom door. Did this give reason to knock a mark off the rating? Not really and I'm looking forward to returning (to a nicer room) on a leisure break soon.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Peter G
Torquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Having to return to my hometown of So'ton under very sad circumstances, John & I decided to stay in the New Forest & luckily chanced upon the Beaulieu Hotel. It's a charming building in a superb location. We were warmly welcomed by Sarah (Thompson) who showed us to a lovely spacious room with a four-poster which we soon discovered was beautifully comfortable. We wanted for nothing & had an utterly peaceful night. We were delighted to discover the next morning that in the pretty breakfast room, we had waiter service. So relaxing. The food was superb & my poached egg cooked perfectly (which is not always the case in hotels). All the staff we encountered from manager, waiting staff, reception & maids were warm & friendly with a "can do" attitude. We can't recommend this hotel highly enough especially for those in need of some TLC. Thank you to all the staff for their hard work.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Trisha m
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

The rain was lashing down and we had hoped for a warm welcome. Staff were slow to appear and not welcoming. The place was cold; we had to ask for the gas fire to be lit.
We had come for a tea which was supposed to be a delightful delayed special Christmas present from my friend's daughter.
The tea itself:
Having initially served us, the shoddily dressed waitress didn't come near us again. A real disappointment. unenterprising sandwiches, tepid scones, ungenerous amount of jam in tiny jars. Having asked for hot water for the tea at the beginning, which never came, we had to go and ask for more also for more jam.
All in all, my friend who had driven 50 miles specially to get there, was embarrassed to have taken me.
Such a pity in such a fabulous location in the centre of the New Forest.
Neither of us will go to that hotel again.

3 Thank wrak
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Beaulieu Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
I am sorry to read of your disappointing afternoon tea. We appreciate guest feedback as it helps us to monitor our service, and I will ensure your comments are forwarded to the general manager and head chef for their investigation.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed two nights for a friends wedding, which was held at the hotel. I really can not understand the other reviews it sounds like a completely different hotel from the one we stayed in! The whole of the outside was beautifully kept with lots of gorgeous hanging baskets around. We did not find any noise from doors slamming or squeaky floor boards, The rooms are lovely and clean, really big rooms and ensuites with all the usual facilities you would expect. We had a room with a view of a roof garden, which was nice, other guests had fantastic views over the forest. Our room had an air conditioning unit which was fab as it was hot muggy weather. The hotel food was amazing...again I can not understand the other guests comments. We had a fantastic 3 course meal on the Friday. I have never had a tastier starter which was smoked venison Gnocchi. It was absolutely delicious. The trio of pork main was equally delicious. All finished off with handmade chocolates and a coffee. The meal was 5 star standard. Our compliments to the chef. The wedding champagne afternoon tea was delicious as was the BBQ in the evening. Breakfast was really good, with excellent service and copious amounts of tea/ coffee and toast. Peter the Manager was excellent and nothing was too much trouble. whatever we asked for he made sure we got. The other staff members worked really hard and every staff member we came across from reception to bar staff were super friendly and polite. Thank you Beaulieu Hotel for making our stay so great and for organising such a fantastic wedding. we live locally but will definately be staying here again, and coming back just for a meal as the food was so good!

DORSET
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

We arrived and rung the reception bell as no staff present.On her arrival her attitude and persona were not that of a warm welcome. We had paid £134.00 for a room which did not meet our expectations, the bathroom could do with a lick of paint and the radiator a good clean. There were stains in the carpet and the bed albeit a 4 poster, creaked and the mattress sunk in the middle.
Due to the corridor doors slamming,again it appears that the door closures need attention, a good nights sleep was not had.
There was no verbal or eye contact made by staff when arriving for breakfast, and it appeared that the manager who served tables among other tasks was the only one who had any social skills.Location wonderful,we did not use the facilities so cannot comment. But overall I would not be inclined to recommend as value for money.
Suggest staff need to have a more positive attitude and at least try and show that they are attempting to get job satisfaction.
Our invitation to a wedding was the reason for our stay and I personally found the lack of detail obvious.

Room Tip: Any area that you are not succombed to internal door banging.
1 Thank KPCR59
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Beaulieu Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Thank you for your comments which I will ensure are forwarded to the relevant department to investigate further.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaulieu
Forest Lodge Hotel
Balmer Lawn
Balmer Lawn
#3 of 11 in Brockenhurst
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,549 reviews

Been to The Beaulieu Hotel? Share your experiences!